Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sharp Reaction to Immigration Bill's Defeat

Sharp Reaction to Immigration Bill's Defeat

By Manuel Roig-Franzia
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Saturday, June 30, 2007; A18

MEXICO CITY, June 29 -- Latin America reacted with sharp disappointment Friday to the U.S. Senate's defeat of an immigration bill, a decision that Mexican President Felipe Calderón called "a grave error" and Salvadoran President ElÃ*as Antonio Saca said was "a pity."

Latin American governments have long hoped for a comprehensive reform package that would include guest-worker provisions and a route to legal status for the estimated 12 million undocumented migrants in the United States -- half of whom are Mexican. At the same time, the Calderón administration has tried lately to lower expectations, in the belief that immigration reform is unlikely until after a new U.S. president is elected in November 2008.

In an editorial published Friday, the Mexico City newspaper El Universal said it is "highly hypocritical that the United States admits migrants as peasants, but does not accept them as citizens. A state that sends troops to the Middle East to try to implant democracy and respect for human rights does not practice such supreme values in its own territory."

But the paper also ascribed blame to Mexico, saying the country is itself guilty of hypocrisy for not creating enough employment to entice Mexicans to stay at home.

Calderón predicted that the Senate's decision would increase illegal migration and "generate worse conditions and insecurity on both sides of the border. The migration problem cannot be resolved simply with speeches; it requires concrete resolutions."

Calderón, speaking before departing Mexico City for a diplomatic visit to Belize, has been taking a more aggressive stance toward the United States than his predecessor, Vicente Fox, who had sought to parlay a personal friendship with President Bush into an immigration accord. Calderón and his top lieutenants were incensed this week after discovering that portions of the wall on the U.S.-Mexican border are in Mexican territory. Calderón said he complained to U.S. officials and received assurances that those parts of the wall would be removed before the end of the week.

Reaction to the immigration bill's failure might have been even more intense if not for concerns here that it put too heavy an emphasis on border security and involved overly complex provisions on granting citizenship to undocumented migrants, said Dan Lund, a Mexico City pollster.

Despite some heated comments from Mexican leaders, it appears the Calderón administration has adopted the philosophy that "no bill is better than a bad bill," Lund said in an interview.

"Life goes on," Lund said. "Here this is a hothouse issue for a few in the media and policy wonks, but everyone else will do what they have to do to get across the border."

In El Salvador, Saca said, "I lament what happened in the Senate. I hope that the senators consider this well, because there are 12 million people [in the United States] who are undocumented."

"What a pity, what a pity, but those are decisions of the legislators," Saca told reporters.

In Guatemala, the newspaper Prensa Libre described the Senate vote as "deplorable" in an editorial headlined "12 Million Victims." The vote, the paper said, showed that the United States is "a country hostile toward immigrants."

Prensa Libre predicted that the decision would hurt the economies of the United States and Guatemala by restricting the flow of people between the countries. But, the paper noted, there could be a subtler, even more damaging effect.

"Little by little, the number of people who lose their appreciation of [the United States] will grow," the paper said. "With what happened yesterday, everyone loses, sooner rather than later, and there are fewer possibilities of healing that wound."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04_pf.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Little by little, the number of people who lose their appreciation of [the United States] will grow," the paper said.
    If losing your appreciation means getting out of our country then PLEASE DO!!!'' Little by little we get sick and tired of being dumped on.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Can I ask a question?

WHO CARES WHAT THAT GUY SAYS? What is there any mention of him in any of our papers? He is a corrupt man who leads a corrupt government. Not only that.. Mexico is a peeon country. No disrespect, but when drug lords sorta control the country, you ain't that tough.

Maybe somebody should send him a note that says "When I want to hear from an ass, I'll fart. Mind your business you corrupt jackazzz. If you want to continue with your rants, I might just have to come down there with a platoon or two and take your country over.."

Though, I do admit he is doing a good job of taking us over.. with masses of his poor.

Let it be known, a proclamation through which:

I demand that illegal aliens leave my country.

I demand our government and elected representatives state to foreign governments in no uncertain terms that we will have no tolerance for their meddling in the affairs of our government and legislation.

I demand that foreign governments provide for economic opportunities and security for their own citizens.

I demand that foreign governments immediately cease and desist from actively promoting illegal immigration into the United States.

I demand that foreign governments immediately recall their invaders from the United States. If they do not do so, I demand the United States bill each responsible foreign government the cost of deporting their citizens.

I demand our government cease providing aid to foreign governments that aid and abet illegal immigration into the United States.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    that the United States admits migrants as peasants, but does not accept them as citizens
    Excuse me! We did not admit these migrants, they sneaked in illegally. NO we do not want illegal invaders as citizens because they broke our entry laws.

Prensa Libre predicted that the decision would hurt the economies of the United States and Guatemala by restricting the flow of people between the countries
    What is this a mantra? We are always being warned how it will "hurt the economy". I'm so sick of hearing that!! I guess it will hurt their economy not to have all that money sent home. Oh, yeah, the companies here would have to go back to PAYING TAXES for their employees, and paying a decent wage. It sure would ruin the racketeering we have going on here.
    http://www.soldiersangels.com Adopt a Soldier

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo