1,537 become American citizens during ceremony in El Paso
By Adriana M. Chávez / El Paso Times
Article Launched: 07/03/2008 02:07:18 PM MDT

Pedro Porras Carrasco, 92, was was recognized as the oldest among 1,537 people who took the oath of citizenship Thursday at the El Paso Convention Center. Mayra Vasquez, 18, right, was recognized as the youngest. Both are originally from Mexico. (Rudy Gutierrez / El Paso Times)Check back to elpasotimes.com later for video from the naturalization ceremony.
Click here to see more photos

For more than 50 years, the United States has always been kind to 92-year-old Pedro Porras Carrasco.

On Thursday, Porras, who was born in Chihuahua, finally became a U.S. citizen and was among the 1,537 people at a naturalization ceremony at the Judson F. Williams Convention Center in Downtown El Paso.

"I'm very happy and very pleased," said Porras, the oldest person to become a citizen Thursday. "It's a great country and it has treated me well. Since I've been here, I've never had to pay a fine of more than 50 cents, even when I was drunk."

Thursday's ceremony was the largest in the city's history and involved people representing 53 countries, including Iraq, Serbia and South Africa.

Westsiders Marisela Quesada and her three children, who are originally from El Salvador, were all able to become citizens during the same ceremony after arriving in the U.S. 18 years ago. Quesada said the family was able to come to the U.S. because of her husband, Dr. Jaime Quesada Sr., who studied internal and pulmonary medicine in New York before moving to El Paso about 12 years ago.

Marisela Quesada said the family delayed applying for citizenship for years until they finally decided to do so, mainly so they could vote.

"We
realized that we're so proud to be part of this country," Quesada said. "Sometimes natural-born citizens take everything for granted, and we don't. We appreciate it."
Quesada said unfortunately her husband wasn't called to participate in Thursday's ceremony, but hopes he will be able to participate in the next one. Ceremonies take place every three months.

One of the main reasons Thursday's ceremony was so large was because of growing interest in the November presidential election, but some may have also applied for residency because of the national debate concerning immigrants.

"Any time there is a presidential election, there is a tremendous amount of interest in naturalization," said Ray P. Adams, the field office director for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. "There's been a lot of debate nationally about immigrants and (related) legislation, and that creates interest in naturalization as well."

The youngest person who became a citizen Thursday was Mayra Vasquez, 18, who moved from Juárez to El Paso when she was very young. She said one of her main reasons to become a citizen was to make sure she would be able to attend college.

"I'll also have better job opportunities and I plan on voting," said Vasquez, who plans to attend the University of Nebraska at Omaha and eventually become a teacher.

Among those naturalized Thursday were 26 military service members, including Sgt. Arlene Farin Fuentes, 28, who is a nursing student at Fort Bliss' William Beaumont Army Medical Center. Fuentes said Thursday that she was also celebrating news that she passed the NCLEX nursing license exam.

"That's the double frosting on the cake," Fuentes said. "I've been trying (to become a citizen) for a long time, but I was stationed overseas in Japan and I didn't have a liaison to help me process my papers."

Fuentes said that although she has always felt pride in the United States, she always felt "on the backburner. Now I feel really proud to get to participate and vote and get a passport. A blue one."

Adriana M. Chávez may be reached at achavez@elpasotimes.com; 546-6117

http://www.elpasotimes.com/politics/ci_9778304