Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    a low turnout could favor Hayworth.

W
    Had that thought as well W.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Arizona's primary election voting begins

by Mary Jo Pitzl and Yvonne Wingett -
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:21 PM
    The Arizona Republic

Turnout at the polls was light this morning for Arizona's primary election, which will set the field for November races ranging from U.S. Senate to local constable.

Many voters said they were turned off by relentless negative ads, saying the mudslinging distracted the public from important issues, such as the economy and illegal immigration.

Guide to the primaries

What you need to know

Judy Whitney of Tempe said the attack ads this campaign season have been the worst she can remember in the 55 years she's lived in Arizona.

She called out one campaign ad for being "rude, crude and uncalled for."

Maricopa County Recorder Helen Purcell also expected a quiet day, and believes some voters will stay away from the polls because of the heat and the negative campaigning. She predicted turnout in Maricopa County would hit 22 percent to 23 percent, which is slightly higher than average for a primary election. Secretary of State Ken Bennett, meanwhile, projected a statewide turnout of 20 to 25 percent. By 9 a.m. today, Bennett's office had fielded about 60 calls from voters with inquiries about polling locations.

While official turnout figures are not yet available, he anticipates a slow day: "It seems normal, to maybe a bit slow," he said. "There's certainly no mad, overwhelming rush."

A retired corporate vice president, Larry Summers, said he is weary of political posturing and negative campaigning.

"I think it made me a little bit sick … constantly hearing negative comments," the Anthem resident said outside of a county library. "It's like they're always thinking about themselves."

Bill Stone, 73, of Tempe, is a longtime registered independent.

"I did my best to moderate the Republicans," he said of his voting choices Tuesday. He left several races blank because he couldn't vote for any of the candidates, and said it's getting tougher to find moderate Republican candidates in Arizona.

Stone called the mudslinging this election cycle "sleazy" and "absolutely worse than usual." Other voters were uninformed.

Patrick Jackson of Chandler said he was disappointed by his ballot choices.

"I didn't do enough research," he said. "I read a little bit and I listened to the radio a little bit but there were some offices I didn't even vote for because I hadn't heard of the candidates."

Polls opened at 6 a.m., and will remain open until 7 p.m. Voters must take identification with them to the polls. Poll workers will accept one piece of valid identification if it contains a photo, such as a driver's license. Otherwise, voters need two pieces of non-photo ID, such as a voter ID card, utility bill or recent bank statement.

People still holding vote-by-mail ballots must walk them into their scheduled polling places because it is too late to mail them in. Voters also may drop off their ballots at their county recorder's office. Information on polling places, county recorder offices, and voter ID is available through the Arizona Secretary of State's office at www.azsos.gov or by calling 602-542-8683.

Election results will start to roll out at 8 p.m., when the early-ballot tally is released. Results will be available on the Secretary of State's website, as well as at results.azcentral.com.

The primary results will determine the nominees of Arizona's various political parties for statewide and local offices. The general election is Nov. 2.

In addition, cities around the Valley are holding council elections. They include Chandler, El Mirage, Glendale, Mesa and Peoria. For those elections, contact your local city hall for polling and other election-related information.

Republic reporters Betty Reid, Alia Rau, Kerry Fehr-Snyder,William D'Urso, Connie Sexton and Angelique Soenarie contributed to this report.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/election/ ... z0xYQqVelT
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Low voter turnout predictions appear valid

Posted: 08/24/2010
    Last Updated: 12 minutes ago
    By: Tim Vetscher

PHOENIX - Eddie Ventura made sure to cast a ballot in Arizona's primary elections but didn't have much company at his polling place near 36th Street and McDowell Road in Phoenix.

"It's very sad," said Ventura of the low turnout. "Every one of us can make a difference, impacting the community and helping the country."

For every person like Ventura who did vote, experts say another four voters did not.

And on a day where the temperature exceeded 110 degrees, Mother Nature didn't help boost turnout.

"It's the heat," said Paul Lewis, referring to the reason for the low turnout. "The heat has a lot to do with it."

ABC15 checked in at four different polling places in and around central Phoenix over the noon hour and found a lot of empty parking lots.

"It is a shame," said Gloria Chavez, who cast her ballot near 44th Street and Thomas Road. "I think more people should take advantage of their civic duty."

Tuesday marks the first time Arizona has held its primary in August.

The primary elections usually fall sometime in September but this year organizers decided to move the date up.

"The reason for moving it up was that people said September is awfully late," said political analyst Mike O'Neil. "If you want to avoid the summer, you have to go back to June and some said that's too early."

Experts say the end result is a predicted turnout of about 20 percent.

In other words, most voters simply decided to stay home.

"I think it's a sad day when people don't get out and vote," said Lee Dunlap who cast her ballot at a polling place near 40th Street and Indian School Road.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/state/low ... pear-valid
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12