Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

1000s attend immigration reform rally in Vegas

1000s attend immigration reform rally in Vegas
    The Associated Press
    Posted: 04/10/2010 04:11:53 PM PDT
    Updated: 04/10/2010 04:11:54 PM PDT

LAS VEGAS—Thousands of people gathered today in Las Vegas to press for swift congressional action on immigration reform.

The crowd cheered when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Rep. Shelley Berkley told them they're committed to pushing for action this year.

Many participants waved placards that read "Reform Now," and "Stop Tearing Our Families Apart."

The rally outside the federal building was sponsored by a broad coalition that includes the non-partisan Reform Immigration for America Campaign, labor groups and faith-based organizations.

Organizers estimate the crowd size at 10,000. Police did not immediately return phone calls.

Organizers say most participants were Nevada Latinos.

Among other things, participants support a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14859746
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If they would quite crossing the border when they are in labor they wouldn't have to worry about tearing their family apart. If they didn't come over here illegally, they wouldn't have to worry about tearning their family apart. They want to blame us for their ignorance.

At least someone showed up to hear Harry. Too bac they won't do him any good.

I really don't get where these people and supporters demanding amnesty get their nerve to scream for their "rights", except they think this country is proven "mushy enough" to give way to their ridiculous demands that we ignore our laws on the books for those who should not be here in the first place.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sounds like SEIU marched all their hotel workers down to the protest. In my hometown the SEIU is the union of illegals.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Again, where is ICE during these "rallies"? It's public knowlege where these gatherings are.

From Majority Leader, a Promise to Take Up Immigration Overhaul
    By JULIA PRESTON
    Published: April 10, 2010

Senator Harry Reid, the majority leader, told an exuberant crowd Saturday at an immigration rally in Las Vegas that Congress would start work on an immigration overhaul as soon as lawmakers return this week from a recess.

“We’re going to come back, we’re going to have comprehensive immigration reform now,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    These people crack me up!!!!

Protester at one of the rallys today

Banned
    SEATTLE - Thousands of people rallied Saturday afternoon in support of immigration reform that would allow 12 million undocumented immigrants to become U.S. citizens.

Many at the rally demanded that undocumented immigrants receive an immediate pathway to citizenship.

But opponents - and there are many - say "absolutely not" to the idea. They say the government needs to focus on border security to stop illegal immigration in the first place.

And then there are people like Carlos Padilla, who was one of an estimated 5,000 people who attended Saturday's rally.

"I don't consider myself an illegal immigrant," he says.

Padilla wants to be called an American, even though he's been living illegally in the United States for 15 years. He's now a senior in high school.

"I came here when I was 2 years old," he says. "I lived all my life here so - it makes me feel unfortunate to the fact that I don't have a Social Security number to apply for financial aid."

The immigration reform supporters rallied in in Seattle's Occidental Park, where speakers fired up the crowd.

"Let's put 100,000 people in the streets and demand that President Obama and Congress make their commitment to make immigration reform happen this year!" shouted one speaker to raucous cheers.

Immigration reform supporters say they want the government to create a pathway to citizenship, in which undocumented immigrants would first get legal status, and then go through the immigration process.

They also demand that undocumented immigrants receive worker protection, which basically would allow them to report if they're employer is abusing them without worrying about being deported.

U.S. Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Seattle, the son of Irish immigrants, attended the rally and said he is on the side of the reformers.

He said that granting illegal immigrants citizenship is not rewarding illegal behavior, as reform opponents claim, and that those immigrants deserve a second chance.

"There are lots of things that look like they are breaking a rule. But sometimes you don't know the rule," he said.

But nationally syndicated radio host Todd Schnitt, who often discusses immigration policy on the Schnitt Show, said in a phone interview with KOMO News that he doesn't buy that argument.

"That's ridiculous," he said. "Everybody who broke into this country illegally knows they broke into this country illegally, and they've been siphoning off our system."

Schnitt says he does support immigration - to an extent.

"I'm all for immigration. We're a country of immigrants that came to this country legally," he says.

But he adds: "I don't believe in amnesty. We need to send them back to their home countries, and then they can reapply, get in line, and enter this country legally."

Schnitt admits it would be tough to send 12 million people back to their native countries. But he says you have to start somewhere.

On the other hand - organizers of Saturday's rally are calling on Congress to introduce a new immigration reform bill soon.

The mexican flag headwear adds a special touch,doesn't it!!!!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/90545264.html

Crowds are kinda small this year.

Dixie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast