3 Democrats Vie for Arizona Attorney General

Updated: Friday, 30 Jul 2010, 11:06 PM MDT
Published : Friday, 30 Jul 2010, 11:06 PM MDT

PHOENIX - Three Democrats each with long and diverse legal histories.

Vince Rabago stepped down from his position at the Attorney General's office to run. He's been a prosecutor there since 2002.

"..I think America is hungry for leaders who are not pushing political agendas..who are just there to do their job, be professional and protect Arizona." says Rabago.

Rabago has called SB 1070 shortsighted and says his experience growing up in Douglas opened his eyes to the realities of the border.

"I chose to go into law enforcement because of what I saw in terms of drug trafficking in the 70s and 80s along the border..we need to go after the organizations and the cartels. If you go kill the head of the state, the body will die."

But Rabago knows running the Attorney General's office is about much more than immigration.

"I've got those deep roots in Cochise County. It helped me understand that we are a big state and we need to take care of everybody. Small towns across Arizona as well as Phoenix, Tucson."

David Lujan knows the Capitol very well. He's a State Representative and lawyer who spent years working as an Assistant Attorney General.

"I know how important that office is to protect people to be an advocate, to be a top law enforcement officer." Lujan said.

Lujan currently works for the child advocacy group, Defenders of Children.

Even though he's a staunch opponent of SB 1070, Lujan has a plan if it does fully take effect. "What I would do with 1070 is work with law enforcement around the state and make sure that they have the training so that it is implemented in a fair and just manner."

Lujan is by no means a one issue candidate. He hopes to beef up parts of the Attorney General's mortgage fraud, identity theft and scams against seniors. "Those are things I think an attorney general can really be effective in helping to protect our citizens."

Felicia Rotellini has been a prosecutor for nearly 20 years. She's worked in the Attorney General's office prosecuting financial fraud cases and ran the Department of Financial Institutions under two governors.

"I'll focus more on financial fraud, securities fraud..I'll create a unit in consumer protection section that focuses on the exploitation of seniors and I'll beef up mortgage fraud prosecution." Rotellini said.

As for immigration, she'll focus on "..the profiteers on the border..the drug cartels, the human smugglers..Arizonans want someone who is going to keep them safe..and the decisions I have made as a prosecutor and a cabinet member have been based on what is best for the people of Arizona."

All three candidates know the inner workings of the Attorney General's office. Nobody can accuse any of them as not being qualified.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/el ... l-07302010