We North Carolina folks need to keep our ears and eyes open for more information regarding an article in the Raleigh, NC N&O today. I don't have a source link, but here is the article:

"90-mph chase ends in DWI

Suspect has prior convictions

Raleigh - A Burlington man with a history of drunken driving led a Wake County sheriff's deputy on a chase that topped 90-mph, according to arrest warrants filed late Saturday.

Just after 12:30 p.m., the deputy saw a car driven by Luis Rojas-Zains, 36, near Falls Glenn Court in northern Wake County, the warrants said. At some point, Rojas-Zains took the 1993 Ford Thunderbird he was driving into oncoming traffic and didn't stop when the officer flashed his lights and sounded his siren, the warrants said.

Finally, the deputy was able to stop Rojas-Zains, of 285 Ross Acres Road in Burlington, who was charged with driving while impaired, speeding, reckless driving and having an open container of alcohol in the passenger area of the car, the warrants said. It was unknown Saturday whether the chase or the path of the Thunderbird caused an accidents.

Just before 4 p.m., more than three hours after the chase, Rojas-Zains' blood-alcohol level was .18, the warrants said. The state considers motorists with a blood-alcohol level of .08 drunk.

Rojas-Zains, who served time in 2004 and 2005 for DWI convictions in Franklin and Wake counties, was being held at the Wake County jail late Saturday in lieu of $5,000 bail, according to warrants and other public records."

I'll admit, there is nothing in this article that raises red flags indicating the guy is an illegal immigrant, but I do find two separate convictions in different counties a little strange - makes me wonder if he has solid roots somewhere. I know I'll probably be accused of racial profiling, but I've got very little faith in the Raleigh N&O's ability to tell the whole story. Probably because of things like this:

It was unknown Saturday whether the chase or the path of the Thunderbird caused an accident.
Isn't it strange how informed the reporter seemed, but yet he was unable to report on whether any accidents happend as a direct result of the 90-mph chase? Perhaps he should have done a little investigative reporting vice just repeating everything off the warrants. Furthermore, it is a known fact that North Carolina was known as one of the premier spots for illegals to acquire a valid driver's license. Last, but certainly not least, I don't believe the Wake County Sheriff's Office checks the status of possible illegal immigrants. If I'm wrong on that count, perhaps someone will set me straight.

Once again, I'm not accusing this drunk driver of being an illegal, but I do think we should keep our eyes and ears open for a follow-up story. Regardless of legal status, I certainly hope they throw the book at this guy before he kills someone because my family and I drive Wake County roads and highways!