Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ACLU, Mexican human rights group sign agreement

REGION: ACLU, Mexican human rights group sign agreement
    | Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:47 PM PDT ∞

9 comment(s) Increase Font Decrease Font email this story print this story Mexico's National Commission for Human Rights and the American Civil Liberties Union of San Diego & Imperial Counties signed an agreement Monday to collaborate in efforts to protect the rights of illegal immigrants.

In the agreement, both groups said they plan to explore legal options to challenge Operation Gatekeeper, a federal border-enforcement strategy that began in 1994. Under Gatekeeper, the federal government built border fences and increased the number of agents patrolling the border in San Diego County.

Human rights groups, including the ACLU, have said that Operation Gatekeeper forced illegal immigrants into more dangerous mountain and desert routes where many have died.

"By working together with Mexico's human rights commission, we will hold our governments to account in ways that we could not do alone," said Kevin Keenan, executive director of the ACLU in San Diego.

The agreement also calls for the organizations to host a conference in June to explore ways to address government policies affecting illegal immigrants.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/04 ... 741b5f.txt

9 comment(s)[-]Go to Top

Irritated beyond belief
    [-] wrote on Apr 23, 2008 4:19 AM:I have a locked gate for my personal safety and the safe use of my property. Will the ACLU come after me if someone gets hurt scaling my fence to get in? If there is any force involved with the illegals, the Mexican government is the guilty party.
    Good
    [-] wrote on Apr 23, 2008 6:49 AM:That means the ACLU will now demand that the Mexican Government provide Human Rights to all in Mexico either there legally or illegally. Show us the document that Mexico has signed giving ALL human rights or we don't want to hear what you are babbling about.
    esteban
    [-] wrote on Apr 23, 2008 7:51 AM:You mean they signed a document staing they will ignore ALL US laws and aid in the breaking of them.
    Ed
    [-] wrote on Apr 23, 2008 10:33 AM:The first place to start would be to file suit against the Mexican Government. Part of the suit should alledge corruption of government officials, failure to provide adequate jobs and subsistance, failure to provide security, failure to stop people from attempting to cross the border illegally into the United States of America, despite knowing that by doing so, the offenders are commiting crimes in another sovereign country. The list could go on and on. I'm sure by starting there first, they will make some leway in their quest. Oh, but wait, the pockets aren't so deep in Mexico. Nevermind...
    why does it not surprise me
    [-] wrote on Apr 23, 2008 10:48 AM:ACLU cannot help Americans but they DO help illegal alians.
    Greg in Oceanside
    [-] wrote on Apr 23, 2008 1:13 PM:And I suppose the ACLU and Mexico's National Commission for Human Rights are going to sit around the camp fire singing folk songs and Kumbaya. Sheesh, now I've heard it all.
    Cliff
    [-] wrote on Apr 23, 2008 2:29 PM: If the immigrants are dying - then maybe they will tell the others that the risk is too great and not attempt it. Helping them will not help stop them.
    Bill
    [-] wrote on Apr 23, 2008 2:59 PM:Illegal imagrants would not have these issues if they would not illegally migrate.
    Syay Home
    [-] wrote on Apr 23, 2008 3:54 PM:The ACLU is so anti-American it is sickening.
    How about teaching the illegals to NOT break the laws and stay in there own damn country. The US is not to blame, it is the mexican government, why don't you take your human rights rhetoric and shove it down mexico's throat. We have had it with the illegals!

Duplicate post. Please post any further comments to:
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-112771-ope ... gatekeeper
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn