Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AL-Panel OKs bill on seizing illegal immigrants' property

http://al.com/news/birminghamnews/index ... xml&coll=2

Panel OKs bill on seizing illegal immigrants' property
    Thursday, March 02, 2006
    KELLI HEWETT TAYLOR
    News staff writer

A bill allowing law enforcement officers to seize the personal property of illegal immigrants cleared its first hurdle Wednesday in the House Judiciary Committee.

The measure could go before the full House for a vote as early as next week.

"It was a little easier than I thought," said state Rep. Micky Hammon, R-Decatur, who is sponsoring the bill and several others aimed at illegal immigration. "I think these bills will get the support. It appears now as though the mood is, `We have to do something.'"

Judiciary Committee member Linda Coleman, D-Birmingham, said she voted in favor of Wednesday's measure, despite concerns that Hispanics might be unfairly targeted.

"I think there will be some amendments on the floor," she said. "I wanted to let it have its day in court."

Isabel Rubio of the Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama said immigration is a federal issue, not a state one. She believes Congress, not states, needs to address immigration through comprehensive reform.

"As long as people hire immigrants to do work, immigrants will come," she said. "Do you think taking someone's bed or their car is going to stop them? People risk their lives to come to this country."

Two proposals penalizing employers who hire illegal immigrants are still awaiting their first committee discussions.

Rubio said she also is concerned about enforcement of the proposed law, and details of who would seize the property.

Currently, only federal immigration agents and some state troopers with special training are authorized to handle immigration-related cases.

Hammon wants to see more local law-enforcement officers deputized to address illegal immigration.

A second bill from Hammon set to be discussed Wednesday in the Judiciary Committee was postponed until next week. The bill would require proof of citizenship or legal residence to obtain nonemergency government services and benefits.

Hammon said he is meeting today with representatives of the Department of Human Resources and Medicaid to work out potential conflicts with new federal laws.

E-mail: ktaylor@bhamnews.com
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

"It was a little easier than I thought," said state Rep. Micky Hammon, R-Decatur, who is sponsoring the bill and several others aimed at illegal immigration. "I think these bills will get the support. It appears now as though the mood is, `We have to do something.'"

HOORAY !! We're getting there.

Did you hear that, Illegals ? The people of this country have HAD IT and we're ready to seize your personal property and deport you out of here.

Get used to it. The party's over. Taking advantage of the American people is coming to and end and it's about time.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In a little town not to far from here they are taking their cars if they don't have a license or insurance. The lot was full last I heard. Alabama is not messing around and they are not going to out up with this. Their stance on this situation will undoubtedly bring more take paying citizens to the state fleeing other regions of the country that have already been taken over with illegals and the politicians that support them. GO, ALABAMA!
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Sure it was "It was a little easier than I thought," they know the American people are tired of this illegal invasion that their jobs are on the line if they don't do something.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In Alabama, we should immediately start distributing comic books with instruction on how to safely cross the border into Canada.

Isabel Rubio of the Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama said immigration is a federal issue, not a state one. She believes Congress, not states, needs to address immigration through comprehensive reform
    If this is a Federal Issue then why are the taxpayers of the individual states the ones that are stuck with the bills for taking care of the illegals?

I guess it doesn't really matter...cause we're the Federal Taxpayers, too. I'm just tired of it. I think it's unconstitutional to be forced to take care of other people, other countries, etc.

I guess my gripe is the whole picture...Foreign Aid of any sort just burns my butt.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB2012
    In Alabama, we should immediately start distributing comic books with instruction on how to safely cross the border into Canada.
    It would be cheaper to get a bunch of the ones Mexico printed and do a reverse map in magic marker on it and pass them out....

Banned
    As long as your NOT sending them east. Georgia's got WAY too many as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PinestrawGuys
    As long as your NOT sending them east. Georgia's got WAY too many as it is.

I think NC is high(top 4 ?, got to find that map)on the list of over abundance in illegal criminal invaders.

GO BAMA!!!

There is one of those bills that is a piece of crap (I think it was HB45. I will have to look it up again.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God