Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Alabama - Immigration Law May Soon Change

Immigration Law May Soon Change

By: Hollie Thrasher
    waatv.com

Huntsville, AL- There's no shortage of opinions when it comes to illegal immigration, and the law aimed at curtailing it in Alabama.

"They get free medical treatment by going to, for example, any of the hospitals here in Huntsville and are treated free. Well it’s free for them but it's out of the tax payers’ pocket," says Victor Nieves.

Now, the bill is being tweaked. Some of the changes make the bill tougher, other changes soften it somewhat.

For example, police can now check the status of any person in a vehicle they pull over. The way the law reads now - they can only check the status of the driver. But not all immigrants are concerned.

"It don't make me nervous,” says Roberto, an immigrant.

He has lived in Alabama illegally for 10 years and says he does not fear deportation.

"You'll be deported just if you got a DUI or you sell some drugs you be deported.”

Unlike many other immigrants and their families, Roberto didn't leave when the law went into effect last fall, and doesn't plan to leave now.

"I like it here," he explained.

Another change, landlords will not be arrested for renting to illegal immigrants but groups can be prosecuted for harboring them. A step, Nieves says, in the right direction.

"I’m in support of it I sure am. I mean someone has got to do it the Federal government doesn't want to do it.”

The bill will now go to the House floor for consideration.

source: Immigration Law May Soon Change - WAAYTV.com- Huntsville, Alabama Television - News Weather Sports
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The arrogance of these people make me sick.

illegal aliens have no fear of Deportation because Obama is telling them to have no fear of deportation and so are all the Spanish media outlets springing up all across America to aid this invasion.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"For example, police can now check the status of any person in a vehicle they pull over. The way the law reads now - they can only check the status of the driver."

How the hell is this different than being asked to hand over your license when you are pulled over, as an American citizen?

"Another change, landlords will not be arrested for renting to illegal immigrants but groups can be prosecuted for harboring them."

Hey, if you as a landlord are stupid enough to rent to them, you deserve to lose your money when they don't pay you. That one's OK. I'm sure it's the kind of apartment community I wouldn't go to anyway, not if you put a gun to my head. Which would probably happen when I got there.

working4change
    Changes to Alabama Immigration Law Approved by Panel

Published April 18, 2012

Fox News Latino

Alabama Immigration Law Hispanic Immigrants Pray.jpg

By a party-line vote, the House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee of the Alabama House approved a bill making changes to Alabama's hardline immigration bill.

According to the author of the bill, Republican Rep. Micky Hammon of Decatur, the changes will make the original immigration bill more defensible in the federal court.

"This will make the bill stronger," Harmon told the Associated Press.

Among other changes, the new bill adds language that says church groups and members can minister to people regardless of immigration status. Religious organization had spoken out forcefully against the current bill.

Democrats, however, complained that the changes do not go far enough. Democrat Napoleon Bracy of Mobile complained that the bill does not address concerns that allowing police to question a person if they reasonably suspect that person's an undocumented immigrant could lead to racial profiling.

Part of Alabama's immigration law was struck down in federal court. It's restrictions have caused concerns among civil rights groups, religious organizations, and Latino activists.

An alliance of union and civil rights groups opposed to Alabama's toughest-in-the-nation immigration law have even filed a complaint against the law with the United Nation's International Labor Organization.

Protests against provisions of the law have spread internationally, and have raised concerns among corporations doing business in the state.

Alabama's immigration law has also have become a new focus for a nearly two-decade-old civil rights Selma march, brining together immigrant and civil rights groups.

Hammon said he expects the bill to come up for a vote in the House Thursday.

This report is based on The Associated Press reporting.

Read more: Changes to Alabama Immigration Law Approved by Panel | Fox News Latino