http://americandaily.com/article/13532

Americans lulled into a false sense of security
By Felicia (Fee) Benamon (05/15/2006)

Americans by the thousands go about their lives as if 9-11 did not happen. Many people are content to trust that their government is doing what they are supposed to be doing. Well, they are WRONG! Many of us are living in a false sense of security if we think those at the helm of this country are doing right by us.

I have said time and again in the past that we must hold our leaders accountable and let our voices ring out to demand what we expect from them. I've been disappointed as many of you have in the behavior of the Senate during the entire Bush administration, and President Bush in his second term. Yes, the President has had to fight battles from Senate Democrats to get things done for the country during his time in office, and many conservatives backed the President in his first term to push through conservative judges and other important issues that are of concern to us. We saw the obstructionism from the Democrats and how nasty they were time and again. Then 9-11 happened, and we all came together and stopped the insane party politics. But we are back to more of the same, except the tone has changed for the worse. It's not about Republicans vs. Democrats right now, it's far more complex than that. It seems many in both parties are not interested in the what the American public thinks anymore. They are only interested in staying in power, no matter how bad they hurt this country. On the surface, things appear the same in the political arena. But underneath it all, something is rotten.

President Bush has tuned out the American people...starting with the Dubai Ports deal that we all were rabidly against. Now it's the illegal immigration issue. The President and Congress is not behaving responsibly as we are in a time of war and the President proposes a watered down bill which includes a guest-worker program for people who are here illegally. We are vulnerable at our borders. If France and the Netherlands can put in place more strict rules for immigrants to their country, then the U.S. CERTAINLY can be more vigilant to patrol the borders.

What really annoys me is the fact that there are concerned, brave individuals from the Minutemen group who are doing double duty to patrol the U.S./Mexican border, and the U.S. border patrol is notifying Mexican authorities of the Minutemen's every move! All this out of concern for the "rights" of illegal aliens! This is shameful! The Minutemen come to help the U.S. Border Patrol in their duties to curb the number of illegals crossing the borders, and this is how the Border Patrol repays them? By sending information on their whereabouts to the Mexican authorities? I'm disgusted!

President Bush surely knows of the problems that exist along the borders, and yet, he allows this insanity. I feel as if he has some secret ulterior motive for the future of this country that he is not willing to share with the American public.

The President's latest move to solve the problem is to put National Guard troops on the U.S./Mexico border temporarily to work with the U.S. Border Patrol. This is simply a band-aid. Only a move to begin to deport illegals already in the U.S., combined with heavy enforcement of the border is viable.

My reason for thinking of the President in a leery way comes from his stubbornness to listen to the American people and not doing what is in the best interest of our country. I think his latest move is a response to an already upset populace who is demanding something be done about the borders. Using the military to guard our borders should have been an option long ago, and it should have been implemented. One one hand, President Bush does what is needed, then on the other, I feel the President is operating behind the scenes in a sneaky manner...remember the failed Dubai Ports Deal? Well, Congress and the President recently allowed the sale of Doncasters Group Ltd. to Dubai International Capital.

Doncasters makes parts for vehicles and aircraft used by our military! One Dubai deal went through, so President Bush approved another. Where is the media on this story? This story was barely mentioned, no doubt because the American people would be against it. The President seems to be so intent on selling our country's infrastructure to foreigners, never mind what Americans think, no matter what the consequences will be. Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed in President Bush's behavior in his second term.

I've certainly had my share of writing Senators and the President, asking them to listen to the concerns of the American people, and to move on a certain issue. When I contact a Senator, the usual response is along the lines of, "let me tell you what I'm doing to address this issue." Barely a word of, "I will take your words into consideration." But I will not cease my letter writing, that's for sure. I will keep the pressure on, and serve notice to those Senators who are messing around, their days are numbered in the Senate.

I hope that Americans will pay more attention and make a move this year to vote those out of office who are ignoring us, blatantly I may add, and replace them with people they think who would represent their state and this nation in a better light. There are people who are running in your area for a Senate position, for local positions, who are decent. Let them know what you expect of them, and let's send some new blood to Washington.

It's time to play hardball. But to do so, Americans MUST become more knowledgeable and aware of what is going on in this country and around the world. The Middle East situation is volatile, Iran is an increasing threat. And we have our own troubles at home. Now is not the time to slack off and play around in your own world. Too much is at stake. I'm not one to stand idly by while Americans allow their country to be sold out from underneath their feet. This can be stopped.

Will you wake up one morning and realize that everything you worked hard for in life, everything you believe in, is gone out the window... that you have no control over your world anymore? Or will you see it coming and fight back before the crap hits the fan?

This is a warning America, you are living with a false sense of security when you put such a huge trust in your government. If most Americans say they are Christian and believe in God, well, put your trust ONLY in God, not in man. Man is human and will fail you.

This year is the year to make a difference and to start holding our leadership accountable. You are too complacent, America. Wake up from your slumber and take control!