Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Amnesty Without Congress

I know we've discussed this before here, and we should be prepared to fight this. Click on the link below to access links within the post:
    ---

National Review Online
    the corner
    Friday, May 01, 2009

Amnesty Without Congress [Mark Krikorian]

I've mentioned before (most recently here) the use of Temporary Protected Status as a way for the president to unilaterally give what amounts to permanent amnesty to illegal aliens, granting them work authorization and Social Security numbers. I'd never seen any group demand TPS for all illegals, though, until I saw this [click link below to access this], which lists the many ways the president could amnesty some or all illegal aliens on his own authority.

TPS is for illegals who can't be deported because of emergency conditions — a hurricane destroyed their country's airport or a volcano buried their island in ash. But a spokesman for the group making the demand, the Southern California Immigration Coalition, justified TPS in an interview by saying that:

To deport all these people to Mexico would create an emergency crisis in their own economy. And that's the crisis we would have in Mexico. Coupled with the drug wars that are going on, the problem that we have with the virus, the flu, it would just create great havoc for Mexico in its economy.
    Mark my words — as it becomes increasingly clear that no amnesty will be forthcoming from Congress this year, expect a rising chorus of demands from both the Left and the rope-selling Right that the president circumvent the Congress and use his popularity to "fix" the immigration problem this way.

05/01 03:55 PM

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/? ... JhMTQxYTA=
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mr. Krikorian has a good point and I think he is right about what will happen if Congress balks, but I'm not so sure we don't already have a defacto amnesty without Congress. Are they really deporting anyone right now?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

From what I've been reading, workplace enforcement has effectively been stopped even though they claim they will be focusing on employers now instead of illegal employees. I have read about some ICE actions against illegal alien gang/crime members over the past month or so (which I assume would include deportation).

As Mark notes, I won't be surprised if the open borders cabal gang tries to use TPS for all illegals if their CIR mass amnesty scheme is halted. As we know they will stoop to anything to get amnesty as they can't win the debate honestly. However, they would likely prefer CIR first as this would have more "legitimacy." That's why we can't let our guard down against Obama's coming CIR amnesty push and must keep the pressure on.