Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Another town official speaks up! Springfield, OR

I support Mr Ralston and hope you will too!
    Couldn't find a name specific e-mail but here are some for the City of Springfield , OR.

http://www.ci.springfield.or.us/contacts.htm

City Manager
    cmo@ci.springfield.or.us

SPRINGFIELD - City Councilor Dave Ralston says he's prepared to respond to critics offended by comments he's made in an e-mail calling for local legislation to crack down on illegal immigrants who he believes are "invading" the United States.

Ralston is holding firm to his position despite taking heat Wednesday from Mayor Sid Leiken for remarks Ralston sent last week to his fellow city councilors detailing his views on illegal immigration.

Ralston's outspoken comments are political dynamite at a time when illegal immigration is being debated intensely across the nation.

"We cannot continue to absorb the flow of illegal immigrants, many of whom benefit from government services that our citizens provide ... They want to invade and not assimilate ... Mark my words, this is a serious problem that we will have to deal with sooner or later and I am tired of being politically correct in order to not offend anyone," Ralston wrote in his July 13 e-mail to Council President John Woodrow.

Ralston made his comments in response to an e-mail the city received from a man named Michael Nave, who asked officials to consider a plan similar to a proposed ballot initiative in San Bernardino, Calif., that would penalize landlords who rent to illegal immigrants, and businesses that hire undocumented workers. The plan also would make English the city's official language and ban day-labor centers. At day-labor centers, people can hire workers without seeking proof that they are legally allowed to work in this country.

Woodrow said he shared Nave's e-mail with the rest of the Springfield council to determine whether a response was necessary. Woodrow said he and other councilors expressed opposition to views included in the message. But Ralston clearly felt otherwise.

Ralston said he supported the measures Nave described.

"This is MY country and I have a right to stand up for it," Ralston wrote. "Illegal immigrants are breaking OUR laws and getting away with it. Just try to go to one of their countries and do what they are doing here and see what happens. This is `America' and we speak English, love it or leave it."

After learning that Ralston's e-mail was circulating throughout the community, Mayor Leiken on Wednesday issued a strongly worded response stating his disappointment with the Ward 4 councilor's message.

"Personally, I cannot and will not condone the negative tone (Ralston) used in attempting to articulate his points," Leiken said. "I sincerely apologize if a vital segment of our community was left to question their place in Springfield. ... I cannot emphasize enough that Mr. Ralston's comments are the comments of one representative. Please do not let them negatively impact the important role of the Latino population in building a vibrant Springfield. As our community becomes more diverse, I am committed to moving the city forward toward acceptance of all who want to call Springfield home."

No one is sure of the size of Springfield's Hispanic population, but it appears to be growing rapidly. The 2000 Census put it at 3,600 people, or 6.9 percent of the population. But some say it is likely double or triple that because many Hispanics do not take part in the Census.

It is unclear how many illegal immigrants live in Springfield.

Ralston on Wednesday defended his written comments and emphatically stated that he has no negative feelings toward Hispanics in general.

"This has nothing to do with race," he said. "It has everything to do with being an American and having a threat to our lifestyle. I judge a person's character individually. Anyone who wants to make this out as a race issue is racist."

Carmen Urbina, a local Hispanic advocate and former director of Centro LatinoAmericano in Eugene, said she and other community members met on Wednesday to discuss the issue, but were not yet prepared to make a public statement. She said the group supports Leiken's response.

Mark Molina, a board member for the Latino Business Network and the Springfield Chamber of Commerce who earlier this year ran for a seat on the City Council, agreed with Leiken's assessment that Ralston's views do not represent those of other city officials.

"There are several city leaders who care immensely and intensely about what is transpiring in the city culturally," he said. "(Ralston) is entitled to his convictions and his freedom of speech, but they contradict the views and agenda of the city."

Ralston said he wouldn't be surprised if some members of the community are offended by his opinion. But he is unapologetic about the e-mail comments, and believes that most of his constituents share his views on illegal immigration.

"I feel strongly about this, and I'm well educated about the issue," he said. "I deal with facts, and I'm ready to defend myself any way I have to. I suspect I'm going to have this conversation with a number of people, and that's fine because I think the vast majority of people agree with me."

The issue of how to deal with illegal immigrants has sparked intense debate nationwide. A particularly thorny issue is whether and how to prevent illegal immigrants from using taxpayer-funded services, such as health care and education.

Leiken said he and Woodrow will meet Friday to discuss Ralston's request that the City Council contemplate a plan similar to the one under consideration in San Bernardino.

Woodrow pointed out that while a local law could be discussed, it probably would be unenforceable.

"It's a federal and state issue, and not a city issue," Woodrow said. "It's not something we should be looking at."

San Bernardino is one of several communities across the nation where laws to crackdown on illegal immigrants are being discussed. Last week, the Hazelton, Penn., City Council approved a plan to institute a citywide English-only policy and impose penalties on landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and business owners who employ them.

But in Ralston's view, the fact that most local governments won't touch the issue exacerbates the problem of illegal immigration.

Local governments "are so concerned about offending someone that they're making the situation worse," he said.

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2006/ ... cityregion
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://hosted.ap.org

Jul 20, 3:34 AM EDT

Springfield councilman defends call for immigration crackdown

SPRINGFIELD, Ore. (AP) -- A city councilor who called for a local crackdown on illegal immigrants he says are "invading" the United States is standing firm despite criticism from the mayor and others.

Councilor Dave Ralston was responding to an e-mail the city received from a man named Michael Nave, who asked officials to consider a plan similar to a proposed ballot initiative in San Bernardino, Calif., that would penalize landlords who rent to illegal immigrants, and businesses that hire undocumented workers.

The plan would also make English the city's official language and ban day-labor centers. At day-labor centers, people can hire workers without seeking proof that they are legally allowed to work in this country.

In e-mail to Council President John Woodrow, Ralston said: "I believe that we cannot continue to absorb the flow of illegal immigrants, many of whom benefit from government services that our citizens provide ... They want to invade and not assimilate ... Mark my words, this is a serious problem that we will have to deal with sooner or later and I am tired of being politically correct in order to not offend anyone."

Woodrow said he initially shared Nave's e-mail with Ralston and the rest of the Springfield council to determine whether a response was necessary. Woodrow said he and other councilors expressed opposition to views included in the message.

But Ralston clearly felt otherwise, saying he supported the measures Nave talked about.

"This is MY country and I have a right to stand up for it," Ralston wrote. "Illegal immigrants are breaking OUR laws and getting away with it. Just try to go to one of their countries and do what they are doing here and see what happens. This is 'America' and we speak English, love it or leave it."

After learning that Ralston's e-mail was circulating in the community, Mayor Sid Leiken on Wednesday issued a response stating his disappointment with Ralston and emphasizing the city's efforts to promote diversity.

"Personally, I cannot and will not condone the negative tone (Ralston) used in attempting to articulate his points," Leiken said. "I sincerely apologize if a vital segment of our community was left to question their place in Springfield."

No one is sure of the size of Springfield's Hispanic population, but it appears to be expanding rapidly. The 2000 Census put it at 3,600 people, or 6.9 percent of the city's population. But some say it is likely double or triple that because many Hispanics do not take part in the census.

Ralston on Wednesday defended his written comments.

"This has nothing to do with race," he said. "It has everything to do with being an American and having a threat to our lifestyle. I judge a person's character individually. Anyone who wants to make this out as a race issue is racist."

Carmen Urbina, a local Hispanic advocate and former director of Centro Latino Americano in Eugene, said she and other community members met Wednesday to discuss the issue, but were not yet prepared to make a public statement. She said the group supports Leiken's response.

Mark Molina, a board member for the local Latino Business Network and the Springfield Chamber of Commerce who earlier this year ran for a seat on the City Council, agreed with Leiken's assessment that Ralston's beliefs do not represent those of other city officials.

Ralston "is entitled to his convictions and his freedom of speech, but they contradict the views and agenda of the city," Molina said.

---

Information from: The Register-Guard, http://www.registerguard.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Words of wisdom from the Mayor:
    "Personally, I cannot and will not condone the negative tone (Ralston) used in attempting to articulate his points," Leiken said. "I sincerely apologize if a vital segment of our community was left to question their place in Springfield. ... I cannot emphasize enough that Mr. Ralston's comments are the comments of one representative. Please do not let them negatively impact the important role of the Latino population in building a vibrant Springfield. As our community becomes more diverse, I am committed to moving the city forward toward acceptance of all who want to call Springfield home."
    Stick it in your ear, Mayor
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"This is MY country and I have a right to stand up for it,"
    No it is not your right it is your DUTY.

I will email my views.

Amen! The best defense, is a good offense.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!