Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Anti illegal immigration rally in Morristown, NJ

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 005/NEWS01

Arrests, confrontations at town hall rally
    Large police presence tries to cool simmering tempers as opinions clash

DAILY RECORD STAFF REPORT
    Saturday, July 28, 2007

Post Comment
    MORRISTOWN -- At least four people have been arrested at an anti-illegal immigration rally on the steps of town hall this afternoon, including two men who tried to disrupt speakers while waving a banner that read "No racist deportation."

And shortly before 1:30 p.m., Diana Mejia, head of the pro-immigrant support group Wind of the Spirit, was removed by police while carrying a banner that read "No Human Being is Illegal."

Earlier, two other women were seen being taken into custody. And members of the National Organization for Women, on hand to counter the rally's speakers, were removed by Morris County Sheriff's deputies as they shouted toward the microphone.

About 150 people have gathered on the front lawn of Morristown's town hall, and another 100 have gathered across South Street, closing the thoroughfare during some of the speeches.

Chants in support of both sides of the illegal immigration debate are rising from the gathering.

A significant police presence is on hand surrounding the area of Morristown's town hall, including police from department's across Morris County, the Morris County Sheriff's Office, the Morris County Prosecutor's Office and a New Jersey State Police helicopter.

Mayor at the microphone

A full slate of speakers was planned for the ProAmerica.org rally -- including Morristown Mayor Donald Cresitello, who spoke around 1:45 p.m.

Targeting the state government, Cresitello called on Gov. Jon Corzine and Attorney General Anne Milgram to drop their opposition to the mayor's plan to deputize town police officers to enforce federal immigration laws.

"How dare they question my right to move on this program," Cresitello shouted to loud applause.

He said New Jersey's leaders contribute indirectly to an "illegal underground economy" by refusing to help rid the state of illegal immigrants by targeting those who rent to them and those who employ them.

Cresitello told the crowd he supports a national ID card and national work permit program.

He then targeted those standing across South Street who chanted "Cresitello KKK" and "Shame on You" as he spoke, calling them Communists and Marxists.

"We know your motives and we won't let you take over our government," he said.

Other speakers

Earlier, Carmen Morales of the group You Don't Speak For Me lobbied for stronger U.S. border controls.

"If we had strong immigration laws and strong borders, 9/11 would not have happened," Morales said.

Another speaker, John Rucki of New Jersey Citizens for Immigration Control, insisted his group supports legal immigration. But he had strong words for those who supported illegal immigrants.

"Those groups that are against us, I say your days are limited," Rucki said to a roar of applause. "English is our language -- speak it, write it, print it."

Prayer vigil

Across town, a much quieter prayer vigil in support of immigrants is taking place at St. Margaret's Church on Sussex Avenue.

Around 1:30 p.m., about 20 participants began marching across town to join counter-demonstrators at the town hall rally.

During the vigil, participants offered prayers and recited poetry while music from the 1960s peace movement play in the background.

Both rallies were expected to last until 2 p.m.

Some participants in the prayer vigil also plan to march across town to the anti-illegal immigration rally at town hall.

What they stand for

The town hall rally -- calling for the enforcement of immigration laws -- included representatives of at least four organizations. Early estimates called for more than 1,000 people to attend, according to organizers, while a smaller turnout was expected at the vigil.

"Over the past year, illegal aliens and their supporters have gathered in large numbers in communities all over America and made their unrightful demands. We've heard their voices. Now it's time they heard ours," town hall rally organizer Robb Pearson says on his Web site.

On the other side of town, the immigrant resource organization Wind of the Spirit hosted the prayer vigil to highlight the difficulties that immigrants face. Diana Mejia, its organizer, said she hoped attendees would get a positive message.

The vigil was cosponsored by the American Friends Service Committee, Latin American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Unitarian Fellowship and NJ Immigration Policy Network.

The debate in town heated up after Cresitello sent a letter to the Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement division, hoping to get 10 local police officers deputized as immigration agents under the federal 287-G program. The officers would be given access to a database to inquire about the individuals' immigration status and to start deportation proceedings on illegal immigrants.
    I will always Stand by the Eagle, I will never betray the Eagle, I am loyal to the Eagle!

"We know your motives and we won't let you take over our government," he(Cresitello) said.
    Hopefully more town leaders will see the light.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Hope they checked the immigration status of those that were arrested!

On the other side of town, the immigrant resource organization Wind of the Spirit hosted the prayer vigil to highlight the difficulties that immigrants face.
    They wouldn't face those problems if they weren't illegals (not just immigrants). If they knew and understood what laws are they would realize that they have no rights. I guess they figure that there is power in numbers. I think the only power they have is the power to crash the plane with the excess weight while they are being transported home!
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    Why doesn't Corzine understand that the illegals are criminals, not constituents?
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

Corzine is too busy SPEEDING @ 90 mph on NJ highways to be bothered with the safety of NJ citizens.

I take it there is a story behind your comment NCByrd?
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Just returned......

Boy was it HOT out there! Many people took refuge under trees in the front of the building to the left and right of center or the building which made the crowd look smaller then it actually was.....

When the women from the Wind of the Spirit group was removed she braced her feet and would not move forward, she almost fell which set off the "other side" on Police. A few observations.....

1. Why do many Hispanics wear bandanna's over their face like the outlaws of the old west? Why do they hide their faces? That spooks me.

2. The rally was against illegal immigration, being against illegal immigration does not equal being a racist, why do they always play the race card.

3. A Spanish language TV reporter, on camera, was comparing this rally to the KKK, why? Not one speech or even rally participant disparage anyone or anything other then those that break our laws.

All in all I am happy I went. I believe in putting my money where my mouth is and hope others also participate in these events. NJ is the most corrupt State in these United States. It was gratifying to see some hope that residents of NJ are not going to stand for the same old BS year after year, corrupt Politician after corrupt Politician.
    Some pictures for your viewing pleasure!
    This girl sure had one BIG foul Mouth
    Foul mouths Mother
    Wind of the Spirits leader taken away
    American!
    [img]

I just couldn't get over how well this Spanish Language Station reporter matched!

Right out of the wild wild west

I admire the people of Morristown for taking a stand and announcing that they will not give over their community. This should be happening all over the U.S. The timing is right; we are in the middle of an election cycle when candidates who are on the right side of this issue can still get organized and gain a political base.

Caspar: You seem to be on the ground. Who should receive our letters and encouragement?

REMEMBER to organize your voting drives early. Nag, nag, nag until everyone you know is registered.

Thanks Casper for the update & the pics.I think we are going to see more of this across the country and none too soon.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

I just returned from this same rally and the speakers were great and this movement is rolling.
    The actions by the other side shows you that they are worried about just what our side is caapable of. They are for all kinds of rights until it comes to someone with an opposing view.
    I was glad to be there and I hope there will be more people in attendance in the future.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast