Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Anti-US protest blocks hotel in Mexico City

Anti-US protest blocks hotel in Mexico City
    09 February 2006

MEXICO CITY: Protesters waving Cuban flags blocked the entrance to a US-owned Sheraton hotel in Mexico City yesterday, calling for it to be closed because it evicted Cuban officials on orders from Washington.

About 30 people shouted "Yankees out" as they demonstrated outside the hotel over its eviction of the 16 Cubans who were staying there last week for a conference with US energy companies.

Presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said Mexico was looking into the evictions and would apply the full force of the law against the Sheraton if a crime had been committed.

"It is an unacceptable application of a foreign law in our country, which goes against all principles of international law," Mexican Foreign Minister Luis Derbez said in a radio interview.

Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc, which owns Sheraton hotels, said it had been asked by the US Treasury Department to tell the Cuban officials to leave the hotel because of the terms of the US embargo on the island.

Mexican newspapers were filled with angry opinion pieces railing against perceived US meddling in Mexico.

In Washington, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said the Sheraton in Mexico City was a subsidiary of an American-owned hotel group and therefore subject to US laws and regulations.

AdvertisementAdvertisement"Very basically, US law would apply to US corporations or subsidiaries of US corporations, no matter where they may be – whether it's in Mexico City or in Europe or South America," McCormack said.

He said the Mexican government had contacted the State Department about the matter, adding that it was the Treasury Department that enforced these laws. "We view this as a matter of asset control," McCormack said.

The Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control, which enforces the embargo against Cuba, insists it is illegal to provide services to Cuban nationals and entities in third countries.

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, the leftist candidate favoured to win Mexico's July presidential elections, said the evictions were "in bad taste."

"Foreign laws cannot be applied in our country," he said on his morning television show.

Mexico's relations with the United States have suffered a string of setbacks in recent months. There have been angry words over drug violence along their shared border, US plans to build a border fence to stop illegal immigrants and the killing of an undocumented Mexican by the US Border Patrol.

Mexico's friendship with Cuba also has suffered in recent years as President Vicente Fox abandoned Mexico's traditionally sympathetic stance towards the Communist-run island.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3566130a12,00.html
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

"It is an unacceptable application of a foreign law in our country, which goes against all principles of international law," Mexican Foreign Minister Luis Derbez said in a radio interview.
    This is my favorite part. This same guy is the one, that is lobbying our government to open the borders. Maybe he should Practice what he preaches.
    I think it is time to close our embassy's and recall all our diplomats home
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Mexican newspapers were filled with angry opinion pieces railing against perceived US meddling in Mexico.

"Mexican Foreign Minister Luis Derbez "

Isn't he the same guy that said the Mexican troops that were guarding the drug runners in Texas, might actually be U.S. troops, disguised as Mexican troops?
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Quote Originally Posted by WavTek
    "Mexican Foreign Minister Luis Derbez "

Isn't he the same guy that said the Mexican troops that were guarding the drug runners in Texas, might actually be U.S. troops, disguised as Mexican troops?
    Your so correct. He is the one.

What arrogance!

I have cut and pasted the story and emailed it to myself. I think I will send copies to my representatives and point out that while they expect us to allow them to meddle in OUR policies, it is NOT ok when the shoe is on the other foot!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

I did notice that AOL has nothing on this, but AOL Latino, has pictures and the whole works.