Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Arizona Governor Stands Her Ground on Immigration Law

Facing Federal Lawsuit, Arizona Governor Stands Her Ground on Immigration Law

Published June 19, 2010
    FOXNews.com
    Comments 941

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer speaks to reporters outside the White House in Washington, Thursday, June 3, 2010, after a private meeting with President Barack Obama. (AP)

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer refused to flinch after Obama administration officials confirmed Friday that they plan to file a lawsuit challenging the state's anti-illegal immigration law.

In a statement issued late Friday, Brewer called Obama's decision "outrageous" but "not surprising."

"Our federal government should be using its legal resources to fight illegal immigration, not the law-abiding citizens of Arizona," she said.

Meanwhile, Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard said his office plans to withdraw as the state's lawyers in legal challenges to the law, leaving Brewer's attorneys to defend it. Brewer had complained that Goddard's criticism of the measure raised doubts about his ability to defend it.

Brewer said with Goddard out, "I will ensure the immigration laws we passed are vigorously defended all the way to the United States Supreme Court if necessary, where this reasonable law will ultimately be found constitutional."

The law takes effect July 29 and requires officers to question a person's immigration status if there's a reasonable suspicion that he or she is in the country illegally.

At least five legal challenges have been filed to the law since April.

The lawsuits generally allege that Arizona's law will lead to racial profiling and argue that it's the federal government's responsibility to regulate immigration.

On Friday evening, Brewer's defense team asked a federal judge to throw out the suit by the American Civil Liberties Union and other groups that challenge the law's constitutionality.

Obama officials confirmed plans to file their lawsuit after Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in an interview with a TV station in Ecuador earlier this month that the administration would challenge the law in court, though officials had long said the issue was under review.

Administration officials initially would not confirm Clinton's statement. But an official told Fox News on Friday that while the review is still underway, the decision has already been made that a Department of Justice suit will be filed. The administration at this point is just building its case.

Another official said there are still "substantial" issues to address and work out before the Justice Department knows that it has a strong enough case to file a lawsuit. The official said the department intends to file suit, but that any court action is contingent on the final review.

Clinton's announcement was met with outrage Thursday by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed the law. Brewer told Fox News she's ready for a fight.

"What a disappointment," Brewer told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren on Thursday, saying she was shocked the administration would make such an announcement on foreign TV without giving Arizona officials the news first.

"We are not going to back away from this issue," Brewer said. "We are going to pursue it, we're going to be very aggressive," Brewer said. "We'll meet them in court ... And we will win."

She added: "The population of America agrees with Arizona."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06 ... ation-law/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    And we damn well better be standing behind her any way we can

Along with Russel Pierce , JD Hayworth and Joe Arpio and all the rest that
    stand for the rule of law

Another official said there are still "substantial" issues to address and work out before the Justice Department knows that it has a strong enough case to file a lawsuit. The official said the department intends to file suit, but that any court action is contingent on the final review.
    They've been talking about filing suit even before Gov. Brewer signed the law, and still don't know if they have a strong case against it? Maybe because they don't.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Arizona Governor

I REALLY REALLY LIKE THIS WOMAN.

I wish Texas had a leader with enough guts to actually LEAD us out of this immigration insanity.

We must stand with Arizona and Gov. Brewer. Let Congress know whose side we are on.

Like we've all been saying, this lady has BALLS. And than God for her. I support her any way that I can, and that includes financially. I just get sick seeing that parkland in Arizona where American citizens are being warned not to go there because it's too dangerous due to the criminal illegal invaders and drug smugglers.

What the president should really be doing is sending TROOPS to the border to help Arizona. I cannot comprend why this is not being done. Totally baffles me. I really feel for the Arizonan's and the rest of the country that is being destroyed by these illegal criminal invaders.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The lawsuits generally allege that Arizona's law will lead to racial profiling and argue that it's the federal government's responsibility to regulate immigration.
    Incidentally, I wonder if US Attorney General Eric Holder has finally set aside a few minutes to read the new Arizona law yet.

Good one sunlandbob. No ones asking so he probably hasn't read it yet. Jan Brewer, I applaud you!

What's puzzling to me is that in spite of their insistence that they have goons working on the (what, 10-page?) document, "round the clock," for the last, oh, month or more, why they haven't been able to find anything to sue over??? Isn't this a replay of federal law that has already been passed? Anybody have a clue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast