Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

An Arizona win puts immigration back in play

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/artic ... rizona.htm

A Minuteman Boosts Border Overhaul Reform
    An Arizona win puts immigration back in play

By Angie C. Marek

Posted Sunday, September 17, 2006

TUCSON, ARIZ.-A few weeks ago, it was became suddenly clear that the Republican free-for-all primary in the southeastern corner of Arizona was anything but ordinary. Randy Graf--a former golf pro, state representative and cowboy-boots-clad founding member of the Minutemen border group--had vaulted into the lead with his focus on fixing what he called the "security crisis" at the border. Opponents attacked him as extreme, and the national Republican party Party went so far as to buy at least $122,000 worth of ads for Graf's most formidable moderate challenger, state Rep. Steve Huffman.

It didn't work. Graf won last week, roiling some Republican circles and raising questions about the wisdom of the party's floundering immigration strategy. It has also put in jeopardy a precious House seat in a mostly moderate district that has been represented since 1984 by retiring Rep. Jim Kolbe, an abortion-rights centrist and the only openly gay Republican in Congress.

Fizzled rallies. In some ways, Graf's victory came at a moment that seems ripe for immigration restrictionists. After this spring's May Day rallies drew thousands of protesters in cities all over the country, efforts to duplicate that momentum this fall have largely fizzled. There were puny numbers at a September march on Washington that activists said would draw hundreds of thousands. A large coalition of advocacy groups that had vowed to register 1 million new immigrant voters now widely acknowledges they it won't meet that goal.

In this atmosphere, Graf's win was electrifying--at least in some corners. "I think it shows people are furious about immigration," says Ira Mehlman, a communications director with the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a group advocating restricting immigration. "And it's not just Arizona." Vulnerable incumbents like Sen. Rick Santorum, Rep. Chris Shays, and Sen. Jim Talent, who weren't vociferous on immigration a year ago, have already taken a hard line on border security. With Graf's win, Mehlman says the trend could easily grow stronger.

That tough rhetoric stands in contrast to what the Republicans in Washington didn't get done this year. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist announced two weeks ago that he won't try to reconcile a punitive House immigration bill with a more moderate Senate measure that includes a guest-worker program before November. In an atmosphere where people talk about "a do-nothing Congress," that move was probably a mistake, says GOP strategist Whit Ayers. Last week, the House seemed to scramble to do something: Republicans passed a bill that would build 700 miles of double-layered steel fencing on the southern border, basically resurrecting one of the controversial aspects of their stalled bill.

Still, some observers of the Graf race urged caution. "I'm still waiting, for someone to show me the races where the [hard-line immigration] approach actually wins our party something," says Rep. Jeff Flake, an Arizona Republican. He said Graf benefited from a five-man race. "This isn't," Flake says, "the uprising some think it is."

Graf, however, tapped right into the frustration that's very alive in the Eighth District, which includes about 100 miles of the U.S.-Mexican border and runs up to the some prosperous suburbs near Tucson. "Down here," Graf he says, "illegal immigrants are killing cows, trashing people's ranches, and putting families near violent criminals, and Congress hasn't done anything about it." He also hopes his desire to slash bloated spending will spark Arizona's famed mile-wide independent streak.

Graf faces stiff competition from former state Sen. Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat who says she fits the district's moderate profile: She was a Republican until 1999. "I jumped into this," she says from her volunteer-filled Tucson office," because I think the country is in trouble." Giffords emphasized healthcare and education in her primary, but as a Fulbright scholar who studied in Mexico in the early 1990s, she's credible on immigration and plans a push for more sanctions for illegal-alien employers and reform that includes a guest-worker program.

But many experts say if Republicans want to keep the seat, they'll have to unite behind Graf and convince Arizonan swing voters to do so too as well. Graf did a victory lap through Washington last week and picked up the endorsement--and a $5,000 check--from his former foes at the Republican congressional committee. Though Kolbe has refused his support, that didn't deter a delighted Republican Rep. Tom Tancredo, the toughest immigration reformer in Congress. "I don't just want to work with Randy," Tancredo told U.S. News; "I want to someday pass the baton to him." And if Graf and the other hard-liners win, it will surely be an even bigger baton.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Wow! This is great exposure, US News and World Report. I also didn't know that Gabrielle Giffords was Republican until 1999. My Husband said this change of party came about because she wouldn't have been able to get money from the Republican party. The fact that she's Grijalva's girl, show that politics makes for strange bedfellows.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...