Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arkansas: Mexican Consul Addresses Area Hispanic Community

Comments are being left after this article at the source link.
    ~~~
    Mexican Consul Addresses Area Hispanic Community
    Sep 8, 2007

By Pablo Bello
    THE MORNING NEWS
    SPRINGDALE -- Jesus Gonzalez, pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Springdale, and other members of Northwest Arkansas' Hispanic community got together with Mexican Consul Andres Chao on Saturday.

Gonzalez said there is a need for information to be spread among the Hispanic community because many don't know they have the right to consulate services.
    SARAH BERRETT * THE MORNING NEWS A stack of Mexico ID cards are ready to be distributed at the Harvey Jones Health Education Building in Springdale Saturday September 8, 2007. The Mexican Consul organized the event to distribute Mexico ID cards to Mexico citizens living in Arkansas.

"There are many other services that the Mexican Consulate can offer them, such as help to transport bodies to Mexico," Gonzalez said.
    SARAH BERRETT * THE MORNING NEWS Rosario Mejia Abonza gets her photograph taken for her Mexican ID card at the Harvey Jones Health Education Building in Springdale Saturday September 8, 2007. The Mexican Consul organized the event to distribute Mexican ID cards to Mexican citizens living in Arkansas.

When a Mexican national dies in the United States, it is traditional to send the body to Mexico for burial, and funeral homes may take advantage of the survivors because they don't shop around for the best price, Gonzalez said.

He has referred many Mexicans to the Mexican Consulate in Little Rock mainly for matriculas consulares -- an identification card -- Gonzalez said.

Jorge Jimenez, 35, said he came to renew his identification. Chao said he expected to assist about 280 Mexicans on Saturday.

The cards, which cost $27, require an original Mexican birth certificate, another photo identification and proof of residence by a mailed bill or other means. The cards remain valid for five years and can be used to show citizenship. Several Arkansas banks accept the cards to open checking accounts.

Veronica Jimenez, 33, waited outside of the Harvey Jones Health Education Building for her appointment. She said she wanted the card to use as identification, after moving from Mexico City to Springdale to be close to her family.

"For many people, this is an advantage because they don't have the time" to go to Little Rock, she said.

Northwest Arkansas, home to booming construction projects and poultry plants, fuels the state's expanding Hispanic population, one of the fastest growing in the nation. Census estimates show the state has about 144,000 Hispanic residents, the majority from Mexico. Other studies conclude that half of the state's immigrant population lives here illegally.

Chao met several members of the community in Northwest Arkansas, including Rogers Mayor Steve Womack, on Friday.

"The lines of communication are open and that's a good signal," said Chao about his meeting with Womack.

Womack requested in November that Rogers police officers be certified and trained through a program providing local law enforcement similar authority of federal immigration officers. The officer's level of authority would depend on details found in a memorandum of understanding which the city hopes to enter into with Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Rogers, Springdale and the Benton and Washington counties' sheriff's offices plan on using the new training to report arrestees for deportation.

Only Rogers plans to use the new training during traffic stops; the other agencies will screen those already in custody.

"I respect his point of view, but I disagree" with the program, Chao said. "I respect the role of the mayor of Rogers to work for the people, but my role is to work for my fellow Mexicans."

"Our fear is an abuse with racial profiling or targeting specific groups," Gonzalez said. "Obviously, we are so many here. It's easy to stop anyone for any reason."

Womack said the plan isn't for the city to have officers patrolling for illegal immigrants, but to have officers with authority to act on immigration issues if illegal immigrants are detained by the department.

Chao spent time with Womack at the LPGA Tour tournament Saturday morning at Pinnacle Hills. Womack had said previously it would be "futile" for the consul to talk him out of supporting the program. But the mayor did invite Chao to the golf tournament held in his city over the weekend to watch a Mexican golfer.

The jurisdiction for the Mexican Consulate in Little Rock is Arkansas, Mississippi, northern Louisiana, eastern Oklahoma and western Tennessee. Every Mexican within that jurisdiction can go to Little Rock to ask for help when they need it.

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/ ... consul.txt
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

so

The question is, can we remove all these Mexican consulates form the US, without breaking off diplomatic ties with Mexico, which isn't sucha bad idea.

Hey, maybe we should tell Mexico, "No more political ties until every illegal alien Mexican is out of the US." Same for El Salvador (MS-13), Guatamala, etc.

Re: Arkansas: Mexican Consul Addresses Area Hispanic Communi

The cards, which cost $27, require an original Mexican birth certificate, another photo identification and proof of residence by a mailed bill or other means. The cards remain valid for five years and can be used to show citizenship. Several Arkansas banks accept the cards to open checking accounts.

Wait just one minute.........show citizenship where? I take it that because those wanting the cards need to provide proof of residence through a mailed bill or "other means" (????!!!!) they are talking about residence in Arkansas. Wouldn't that mean that this "citizenship" the cards are showing is in Arkansas?

So, what....now the Mexican Consular can bestow citizenship upon illegals by virtue of a Martricular? That's exactly what is happening since illegals are the only ones with need of the cards!!!!

I'm sorry....but these people are not "citizens" of Arkansas or anywhere else in this country. They are illegal aliens with citizenship in Mexico.

This needs to be brought to someone's attention.....quickly and loudly.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That was the first thing I thought of, too, azwreath. Do those cards show they are mexican citizens or American? You're right, we need to find out.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    That was the first thing I thought of, too, azwreath. Do those cards show they are mexican citizens or American? You're right, we need to find out.

I agree.....we do need to find out. Now, the questions is, just whom do we find out from who will give us an honest answer? Or with the ability to pry an honest answer out of someone who can provide it? Where do we direct this?

I'll follow your lead tinybob because I'm not sure where to go with this one