http://phoenix.bizjournals.com

The Business Journal of Phoenix - 11:35 PM MST Wednesday
Arpaio looking at run for governor
Mike Sunnucks
The Business Journal
A big shoe has dropped in next year's governor's race -- a very big shoe.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is considering a run for governor against Democratic incumbent Janet Napolitano.

Arpaio, a Republican and one of the state's most recognizable and popular politicians, said Wednesday he will decide by next March whether to run for governor.

Arpaio has considered runs for governor before but opted not to make such bids.

"I'll decide no later than March," said Arpaio. "I don't think I have to make a decision right away because my name ID is there."

The sheriff would instantly become the GOP front-runner to take on Napolitano next year, dwarfing the current crop of candidates.

Former state judge Jan Florez, party activist Don Goldwater and Valley attorney and former state lawmaker John Greene are all in the Republican primary for governor. The three are all considered underdogs versus Napolitano.

Arpaio has been Maricopa County Sheriff since 1993 and has received substantial media attention for his get-tough policies such as chain gangs, Tent City inmate housing, green bologna, making prisoners wear pink boxer shorts and other no-frills operations.

The sheriff stressed Wednesday that the rest of his resume also prepares him to run for governor. Arpaio served in the U.S. Army and worked for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) in Mexico, South America and Turkey.

Arpaio, 73, said that will help him deal with immigration and border security problems if he decides to run for governor. The Maricopa sheriff said he opposes construction of new border fences and walls but supports efforts to deny state services and benefits to illegal immigrants. He also said that a guest worker program for foreigners wishing to work in the U.S. should be examined.

Arpaio said a key to curtailing illegal immigration is to build up Mexico's economy and he wants to see more U.S. investment there to help create jobs.

"You get more done by having mutual trust with these foreign countries than you do with a big stick," said Arpaio in a telephone interview.

Mike Gardner, a business lobbyist for the Triadvocates public affairs group, said Arpaio's name ID gives him a big advantage over the current crop of challengers. Gardner said that the state's 6 percentage-point GOP voter registration edge and Arpaio's name ID and persona would make for a very competitive contest against Napolitano.

"I think he would have a viable shot," said Gardner.

Arpaio would not criticize Napolitano on any issue, including immigration but said that there would be differences in style.

Arpaio said his name identification and national and international reputation would help him promote tourism as governor.

"I think it helps tourism, " said Arpaio of his international media exposure. "I'm a big pro-business guy. We have to really publicize the state around this world to build up tourism."

He also voiced support for state tax cuts as long as they were fiscally prudent and other priorities such as teacher pay and law enforcement salary increases were dealt with properly.

Arpaio, a social and fiscal conservative, said he would likely accept public campaign finance funds and not raise money privately if he opts to run.

"I don't have to worry about name ID. Mine is 99 percent. I don't have to spend money for name ID like most other candidates," Arpaio said.

A number of top Republicans -- including Congressmen Rick Renzi and J.D. Hayworth and state Senate President Ken Bennett -- have opted not to run against Napolitano and the party is looking for a top tier candidate.

Napolitano's office declined comment.

Arpaio, who sounded very serious about a run, said this would likely be his last opportunity to run for governor and said he had no interest in running for U.S. Senate.

The sheriff downplayed uneasy relations and rivalries with some other top Arizona Republicans, including current state party chairman Matt Salmon.

"I don't go to Republican leaders. I go right to the people -- they are my leaders," Arpaio said.