Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arpaio says lyrical threat is just free speech

Arpaio says lyrical threat is just free speech
    by Sandra Haros/KTAR
    (September 27th, 2010 @ 2:56pm)
    Comments:21

PHOENIX -- Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio says he's not overly concerned about a new song called "Kill Joe Arpaio," although he doesn't think kids should be listening to it.

The song comes from the Crocodiles, an indie/fuzz rock group based in San Diego. It uses snippets from Arizona talk radio shows over music.

Asked if he were upset, Arpaio said, "Because it means, kill me, right? But, let me tell you something. It doesn't really overly concern me -- freedom of speech."

Things like the song come with the territory, Arpaio said.

"I'm a high-profile guy. I do a lot of things that may be controversial. But, to use music, I think it's gone a little too far because a lot of kids may be listening to the music."

While he's personally not offended, Arpaio said, "I don't think we should make those types of remarks against law enforcement. Forget me, as an individual."

He said he has some good supporters.

"I got Ted Nugent. He's a great singer. He came here recently. I swore him in. He loves the sheriff. I'd rather have Ted Nugent music for me than this bunch."

The Crocodiles' Brandon Welchez told the "San Diego Reader" that the group won't play Arizona any more.

"Every time we go through Arizona, we get pulled over by the police or Border Patrol. We get searched and hassled and treated like criminals and our bass player, whose last name happens to be Gonzalez, gets extra hassled."

www.ktar.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Are the "Crocodiles" prepared to be charged with hate crimes if some nut decides to take their song literally? I don't see why not. What a bunch of ungrateful losers!!

Where are the "activists" raging about this? They would jump if it was Obamba or a Sanchez in the title no? So much for "human rights".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I'm sure Arizona will be heart-broken the Crocodiles aren't "going to play Arizona" any more, huh? AZ's new immigration law may have some side benefits no one thought about.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

New Song Title: 'Kill Joe Arpaio'
    California Band Fed Up With 'Arizona Racism'
    Pat McReynolds
    Reporter, KPHO.com

POSTED: 9:20 pm MST September 27, 2010
    UPDATED: 10:28 pm MST September 27, 2010

PHOENIX -- It may be catchy, but the title will kill you. Or more specifically, Sheriff Joe Arpaio. A new tune by the Crocodiles, a band out of San Diego, is called just that, "Kill Joe Arpaio," even though his name is never heard in the song.

Instead, it sounds like radio talk under industrial music, condemning what the song calls racist, anti-immigrant and misleading public policies in Arizona.

"People use fear and crime to win votes in politics," said the voice in the song.

"I guess you know that show business," reacted Arpaio.

Arpaio said he's used to threats, but he is bothered by the musical variety.

"I'm a little concerned about the music, where kids can get this type of music. I think it sends a bad message. I understand freedom of speech, but there has to be a line of threatening a law enforcement official," said Arpaio.

The sheriff stressed that this song would not slow down his enforcement of the immigration laws he's focused on for the last three years.

http://www.kpho.com/news/25187901/detail.html