Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AZ: Departure of illegal immigrants draws mixed opinions in

Comments are being left after this article.
    ~~
    Departure of illegal immigrants draws mixed opinions in area

By Jason Soifer, The Daily Courier

Saturday, February 09, 2008

PRESCOTT VALLEY - It is an exodus Sam Rodriguez is very familiar with.

The president of the Tri-City Hispanic Chamber of Commerce knows illegal immigrants are moving to states where they can find a job without worrying about anti-illegal immigrant laws.

"They come and say goodbye to me before they go," he said.

Rodriguez said immigrants are leaving Arizona and other states with tough laws for states that welcome them, such as Texas.

Arizona law prohibits businesses from knowingly hiring illegal immigrants.

Rodriguez believes it will come back to haunt employers.

"When the economy comes back, they're going to be looking for workers and they aren't going to find them," he said.

Rodriguez estimates that he has lost about 50 family clients at his insurance business.

"It's a pretty good chunk of people that have left the area," he said.

Gary Hudder, president of the Yavapai County Contractors Association board of directors, said that to his knowledge, no members have suffered from the illegal immigrants departing the area at this time.

Hudder believes the slowdown in the construction sector has skewed the magnitude of the illegal immigrants departing the area.

"It's a situation where it's going to find its own level and it's going to sort itself out," he said.

Representatives of the local chambers said this week that their members do not have much to say on the issue.

"I think you're still a little early in the process," chief executive officer of the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce Ab Jackson said.

Prescott Chamber of Commerce Chief Executive Officer Dave Maurer said he is having a hard time judging the impact of the state's new anti-immigrant employment laws because business owners are not talking to him about it.

Prescott Valley Chamber of Commerce Chief Executive Officer Marnie Uhl was unavailable for comment.

Rodriguez blames some businesses for using the slowing economy as an excuse to fire illegal immigrants and forcing them away.

Those employees are looking for full-time work, according to Rodriguez.

"It's other states that are welcoming that additional labor force," he said. "I'm trying to tell them to hang in there, but it's tough."

www.dcourier.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hmmmm???

"Rodriguez blames some businesses for using the slowing economy as an excuse to fire illegal immigrants and forcing them away. "

Ya think maybe if there is no work it is a good reason to let employees go???
    Hmmmm?? Oh, I see, even the sleazebag employers are supposed to provide free tender care and welfare to illegals???
    Hmmmm?

If I were king for a day, I would fine and possibly jail every employer that has an illegal working for them.

Yea I have mixed feelings, they are all driving to Utah. The problem with that is we are passing laws too. My worry is what is going to happen when these illegals start to realize that the wells are running dry. I went into a store this morning and I was the minority. I saw young men walking around with tatoos all up around there necks and slicked greasy hair. Does anyone know what those kind of tatoos mean? I got out of there fast.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

I'm not sure I'm buying the mass exodus stuff. In my experience, they don't seem to give up so easily. Besides, I see more expired (for years) license plates than ever. I'd say one in ten cars. It's bad...very, very bad.

One Sunday we stopped at an Ihop for breakfast, talk about being in the minority..very uncomfortable... this in Ct.

When we were in Florida they were everywhere and I enjoyed breakfast there. Not uncomfortable there.

Quote Originally Posted by girlengineer
    I'm not sure I'm buying the mass exodus stuff. In my experience, they don't seem to give up so easily. Besides, I see more expired (for years) license plates than ever. I'd say one in ten cars. It's bad...very, very bad.

Being in California, you're not likely to see the change we're seeing....or people in other areas are seeing.

I'm not sure what it will take for them to leave CA but they will probably have to be forced out by some extreme measures.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)