Giffords vs. Kelly

Posted - 8/25/2010 at 9:13PM by Greg Dingrando

TUCSON - The battle between Democrat Gabrielle Giffords and Republican Jesse Kelly for District 8 has begun and it's already being called one of the top races in the country.

For Giffords, the primary was a breeze and she said she's not going to make any changes now that she actually has an opponent.

Giffords said, "I'm gonna run on my work that I've done, my reputation and my focus on Southern Arizona. My record really speaks for itself."

Kelly said that's exactly what he's running his campaign on, Giffords record. He said, "Four years of failure. She failed on the border, failed on the economy. She's basically failed at everything she's tried except for getting elected twice."

Kelly said his main focus will be stopping out of control spending and bringing jobs to Arizona. Giffords said that's a big focus for her too, but her campaign to beef up border security will also continue.

An issue Kelly isn't afraid to take on. He said, "Why would we be afraid to tackle the border issue? She's wrong on every aspect of it and we're right."

And it's that "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude Giffords said is only going to help her, especially since she thinks Kelly's version of "Right" is just too extreme for Arizona.

Giffords said, "I think in the next couple of months the people of Southern Arizona will really understand how extreme his ideology is and really how married he is to the ideology, one that's actually very far outside the republican mainstream."

Political experts said the winner of this race could determine who controls the political majority in Washington.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/giffords-vs-kelly/