Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

AZ-Hospital sues Pima County

Hospital sues Pima County

Sep 16, 4:21 AM EDT

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- University Medical Center in Tucson has filed suit against Pima County seeking to recover $800,000 in medical expenses from one indigent patient.

The patient, Felipe Perez, 71, has been hospitalized since January after he was hit by a car in Pinal County.

UMC also is asking the county to take responsibility for the patient by helping to find an alternative medical facility that will accept him.

Pima County attorney Paula Perrera filed a motion asking the court to dismiss the case.

Perrera argued it is not the county's responsibility to pay for medical care or decide who will provide medical service for a UMC patient.

UMC attorney Douglas Metcalf argues the government has an obligation to help those who cannot take care of themselves.

One issue is Perez's citizenship status.

Because the hospital can't prove Perez is a legal citizen, the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System denied a claim to pay for his care.

Also, because UMC can't prove he is a Mexican citizen and there is no evidence of family in Mexico, Mexico has refused to accept him, Metcalf said.

Because the patient's case is in litigation, the hospital can't move him without permission from a court appointed legal guardian and the court itself, Metcalf said. In the absence of a court order, Metcalf said Perez will remain at UMC until he dies. Metcalf described Perez's condition as not good.

Court records show Perez is not aware he is at a hospital, often refuses to eat and does not have the ability to make decisions for himself.

---

Information from: Tucson Citizen, http://www.tucsoncitizen.com

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... TE=DEFAULT
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This boys and girls is why hospitals are closing down and you and I get charged 200 dollars for two Tylenol when we are there.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ridiculous. Hey Gringo Pay,Pay,Pay
    "Ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country"-John F. Kennedy

Relating to the issue of health care for IAs there are apparently some big changes underway, at least here in AZ and where hospitals are concerned.

My husband is currently in the hospital.......the new one near our home which opened about 8 months ago.....and our daughter, who had gone to the ER with him, had some interesting facts to relate about the experience.

First, when she and my husband's friend got him inside they were shocked to see that....at 3:00 on a Friday afternoon......they were the ONLY ones in there and when my daughter commented on this to the nurse who came to assist my husband, he said that it's always pretty quiet.

Secondly, as she was filling out paperwork because my husband was unable to do it himself, she noticed signs all over the place. These signs stated that unless one is suffering an actual medical emergency as defined by something or another, or is in active labor, they will NOT be seen in the ER. These signs also made it very clear that, with the exception of insured patients, all ER fees not related to actual treatment must be paid in full prior to being seen.

As they were waiting with him, my husband's friend, who legally migrated from Mexico, was telling my husband and daughter that this is what is happening with hospitals all over the place and he was surprised we hadn't heard the illegals in our development complaining about it. According to him they are miffed to the extreme that they now not only must go to a handful of free clinics, or pay for a doctor or urgent care, but that they are being funneled to one hospital in Phoenix for births, complaining in no uncertain terms that slowly but surely the US is "taking everything away" and we are starting to take it away even faster now.

So evidently, their so called "choices in health care" are being narrowed greatly and I've got to tell you.....obviously I've been to the hospital quite a bit since they admitted my husband on Friday and I have not seen a more quiet, uncrowded hospital in the 15 years I've been here. It doesn't make any difference what time of the day or night either...there is hardly anyone ever there and it most certainly doesn't seem like you've opened the door and stepped directly into Mexico.

And since then, in speaking with other friends who've had occasion to vist other hospitals in the area, they've said the same thing. The difference is night and day compared to what it used to be.

So I'd say this is some good news.........
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Relating to the issue of health care for IAs there are apparently some big changes underway, at least here in AZ and where hospitals are concerned.

My husband is currently in the hospital.......the new one near our home which opened about 8 months ago.....and our daughter, who had gone to the ER with him, had some interesting facts to relate about the experience.

First, when she and my husband's friend got him inside they were shocked to see that....at 3:00 on a Friday afternoon......they were the ONLY ones in there and when my daughter commented on this to the nurse who came to assist my husband, he said that it's always pretty quiet.

Secondly, as she was filling out paperwork because my husband was unable to do it himself, she noticed signs all over the place. These signs stated that unless one is suffering an actual medical emergency as defined by something or another, or is in active labor, they will NOT be seen in the ER. These signs also made it very clear that, with the exception of insured patients, all ER fees not related to actual treatment must be paid in full prior to being seen.

As they were waiting with him, my husband's friend, who legally migrated from Mexico, was telling my husband and daughter that this is what is happening with hospitals all over the place and he was surprised we hadn't heard the illegals in our development complaining about it. According to him they are miffed to the extreme that they now not only must go to a handful of free clinics, or pay for a doctor or urgent care, but that they are being funneled to one hospital in Phoenix for births, complaining in no uncertain terms that slowly but surely the US is "taking everything away" and we are starting to take it away even faster now.

So evidently, their so called "choices in health care" are being narrowed greatly and I've got to tell you.....obviously I've been to the hospital quite a bit since they admitted my husband on Friday and I have not seen a more quiet, uncrowded hospital in the 15 years I've been here. It doesn't make any difference what time of the day or night either...there is hardly anyone ever there and it most certainly doesn't seem like you've opened the door and stepped directly into Mexico.

And since then, in speaking with other friends who've had occasion to vist other hospitals in the area, they've said the same thing. The difference is night and day compared to what it used to be.

So I'd say this is some good news.........
    It sure is AZW! Lets hope this trend continues! Thank God your husband can receive the treatment he deserves, without being surrounded by third world invaders!

I Hope your husband has a speedy recovery AZW!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm glad to hear that azwreath! Hope your hubby is doing ok.

If federal law is crippling hospitals with having to medically treat illegal aliens, then it should be a federal problem. Feds are failing.

In order for hospitals to survive, they are going to have to start enforcing the rules and demanding payment up front is one way. Illegal aliens have the cash to pay, they just don't want to. They should be made to pay for labor costs also.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    I'm glad to hear that azwreath! Hope your hubby is doing ok.

If federal law is crippling hospitals with having to medically treat illegal aliens, then it should be a federal problem. Feds are failing.

In order for hospitals to survive, they are going to have to start enforcing the rules and demanding payment up front is one way. Illegal aliens have the cash to pay, they just don't want to. They should be made to pay for labor costs also.
    They sure should be paying for labor costs! Since when is having anchor after anchor considered a life threatening emergency!!!

I know of a hospital in the Midwest ...who does the same AND they purposefully don't hire intake staff that is bilingual .....and no signs are posted anywhere in Spanish.....since the illegals who continuously abuse the system don't necessarily like not being catered to...they go to the county hospital where all their "needs" are met....but at least the other hospital isn't going to go bankrupt treating non-ER patients who don't pay their bills in the ER.

Also, because UMC can't prove he is a Mexican citizen and there is no evidence of family in Mexico, Mexico has refused to accept him, Metcalf said.
    Mexico wouldnt take him back or pay his bill anyway.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by legalatina
    I know of a hospital in the Midwest ...who does the same AND they purposefully don't hire intake staff that is bilingual .....and no signs are posted anywhere in Spanish.....since the illegals who continuously abuse the system don't necessarily like not being catered to...they go to the county hospital where all their "needs" are met....but at least the other hospital isn't going to go bankrupt treating non-ER patients who don't pay their bills in the ER.
    I have heard of a few hospitals and clinics doing similar things. I recently talked on the phone to a friend from high school who is respiratory therapist. He works at a hospital in Oregon that does the same things to avoid dealing with illegals. He is friends with the administrators and they have avoided a lot of financial problems. My friend also says a few of people on staff that are bilingual don't want to cater to anyone because they are tired of dealing too much with people who don't speak English. I applaud the hospital in this case for filing suite.
    ProEnglish:The English Language Advocates
    http://www.proenglish.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast