Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AZ: Immigration debate: Mesa asked to adopt version of Utah

Immigration debate: Mesa asked to adopt version of Utah Compact

by Art Thomason - May. 29, 2011 08:51 PM
    The Arizona Republic

A panel that advises Mesa on diversity and human-rights issues has slightly modified a version of the so-called Utah Compact and is urging the City Council to endorse it.

The Human Relations Advisory Board last week voted to recommend that the Valley's second-largest city apply the document's principles to address what the compact calls "the complex challenges associated with a broken national immigration system."

The Utah Compact is a document endorsed by political, business and religious leaders in Utah that is intended to set guidelines for the state's immigration debate.

"The purpose is to have a principal framework for discussion," said Rory Gilbert, the advisory board's vice chairwoman. "We've had debates, but we haven't had a community conversation to talk more about concerns and where do we find common ground.

"We are asking the council to endorse five simple concepts as a basis of where we stand," she said. "They are not the end. They are the beginning."

Mesa is the first Arizona city asked to adopt the compact, which has stirred national interest because of its contrast with Arizona's controversial immigration law, Senate Bill 1070.

The key provisions of SB 1070 are on hold while the statute is under court review.

Mesa is also the home of Arizona's Senate president, Russell Pearce, a Republican and the architect of SB 1070.

While the compact calls immigration a federal issue and says local police "should focus on criminal activities, not civil violations of federal code," SB 1070 makes it a state crime to be in the country illegally.

The compact also says immigration policies should not harm families, the economy or individual liberties.

Opinions of the compact vary among Mesa's City Council members and Mayor Scott Smith.

It is unclear whether they will formally review the advisory board's recommendation.

Though he has frequently deplored the divisive tone of Arizona's immigration debate, Smith said he is not convinced that the compact would be a good fit for Mesa, because Arizona's immigration issues are far different from those in Utah.

Councilman Dennis Kavanaugh, who supports the Human Relations board's proposal, said he is confident that the mayor and council "will give very serious consideration to the board recommendations."

"Our advisory board studied and discussed the Utah Compact in a thoughtful and deliberate way over the past five months," he said.

"They afforded ample opportunity for community members to offer testimony, input and research on the compact. They reached out to officials in Utah for their perspective and experience in drafting and implementing the compact principles in Utah. They adapted the language for Mesa and for Arizona."

Late last year, a group called East Valley Patriots for American Values asked the City Council to endorse the compact.

www.azcentral.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member AmericanTreeFarmer's Avatar

Here is to your compact

Re: AZ: Immigration debate: Mesa asked to adopt version of U

"The purpose is to have a principal framework for discussion," said Rory Gilbert, the advisory board's vice chairwoman. "We've had debates, but we haven't had a community conversation to talk more about concerns and where do we find common ground.
    "Let's see the 2nd largest city in Arizona wants a community conversation!"
    It's the 2nd largest city of illegals in Arizona! I hope Pearce squashes this!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    It's the 2nd largest city of illegals in Arizona!
    Really????? I always thought that was Tucson or Paulden!!!!

I hope Pearce squashes this!
    Pearce is the State Senator. He is only a resident of Mesa and, sadly, as such, has no more say in the City Council than any other resident.

But, then again, what do you expect from a city of Mormons????

And AmericanTreeFarmer:

Quote Originally Posted by AZres
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    It's the 2nd largest city of illegals in Arizona!
    Really????? I always thought that was Tucson or Paulden!!!!
    "I'm sure you knew what I meant, and believe me no one respects Arizona more than me that's why 68% of Americans stand behind her! You sue AZ you better be prepared to sue us all. And I don't think the SCOTUS is going to go for that! And I thought Tucson to, but I was referring to the Phoenix area!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn