Immigration is key issue, Flake says
by Art Thomason - May. 30, 2009 08:00 AM

Mesa's representative in Congress says he and his colleagues hold the key to both relieving the city's immigration problems and finding more money to complete projects critical to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport's success.

In a wide-ranging interview with the Mesa Republic, U. S. Rep. Jeff Flake, who represents Arizona's 6th District, which includes most of Mesa, said he is pushing for comprehensive immigration policy reform to end the costly and bitter debate, which has been reduced to "30-second sound bytes."

Flake said the immigration issue is particularly pressing and that it comes up in his discussions with Mesa Mayor Scott Smith.
"I think Arizonans realize by and large that you have to deal immigration in a comprehensive fashion," Flake said. 'You just can't say we're going to enforce current law without dealing with border issues and the population that's here illegally now. It's a very complicated issue."

"The federal government puts local officials, whether they are law enforcement, city council or the mayor's office, in a horrible position, having them choose between setting up a day labor center so you deal with local concerns about property values and whatever else, or trying to enforce federal immigration law when you don't have the training and resources, and in some cases, the authority to do so. It's really a difficult problem and I don't think it's going to be solved in a piecemeal fashion. That's why I advocated a comprehensive approach."

Flake said he expects to be at the forefront when President Obama convenes a summit at the White House in coming weeks.

"It's a bipartisan summit and I assume I'll be involved in that," Flake said.

"President Obama is trying like President Bush did before him. It's difficult in Congress. It's an issue that a lot of members are afraid to touch. And that's unfortunate because a state like Arizona bears a disproportionate burden in health care costs, education costs and criminal justice costs. Communities here bear the brunt as well."

But Flake said the Republican party's reputation has been marred by the immigration debate.

"On the substance of the issue we're a lot closer than we think. But the tone and tenor of the debate drives people who would otherwise be Republicans out of the party. And it's not just Hispanics. I'm talking about others as well who just don't want to be associated with a party that is seen as intolerant or shrill."

Flake also said he is urging his House colleagues to overhaul a Highway Trust Fund formula so Mesa and Gateway airport can have sufficient funding for the extension of light rail and infrastructure and freeways vital to the airport's evolution as a major reliever and aerospace center.

Flake said he also is helping form a bi-partisan coalition of 30 states, which like Arizona, are getting shortchanged, he says, by the Highway Trust Fund.

If Arizona were to get back every dollar for dollar that goes into the fund from gasoline taxes, more money would be available for road projects to enhance the airport, he said.

Under the most recent Highway Trust Fund reauthorization bill Arizona is getting 92 cents (for every dollar collected in federal gasoline taxes) compared to 89 cents under the former bill. That's still not good enough.

Flake said he will continue to work with his Democratic colleague from Tempe, U.S. Rep. Harry Mitchell on issues where they find a lot of agreement.

"I've tried to dislike Harry for a couple years now and I just can't bring myself to do it," he said with a grin. "He is just to nice a guy."

On a related Gateway issue, Flake said he's going to bat for the city trying to find tenants for facilities at Gateway airport after they're vacated by the Air Force Lab , which is scheduled to depart for Ohio.

"Mesa and airport officials have asked us to correspond with relative government agencies that might be interested in using the facility," he said. "They crafted a letter and we have worked with them on forwarding it to relevant government agencies."

Speaking on the environment, Flake said he is sponsoring legislation that would tax carbon.

"Clearly, it's in our interest to move away from carbon. But if we're going to take the step of taxing carbon, that needs to come with commensurate tax relief on incomes."

Serving his 5th term in Congress, Flake's district includes parts of Mesa and Chandler and all of Gilbert, Queen Creek, and Apache Junction.

He serves on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, the Committee on Resources, and the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa ... e0530.html