Quote Originally Posted by cayla99
The constitution guarantees against post defacto laws. The harm to all of us if this law passes is far greater than the harm of the judgment already rendered. For those who do not know, post defacto means that a law can not be retroactive. The law in place at the time of the incident is the law that rules at the trial.

Imagine if we got rid of this law. Congress could pass a law making long hair a felony. Someone produces a picture of you taken 20 years ago with long hair, without post defacto, you could be charged. (I know the example was lame, but I am trying to show that without this clause, anything we do today, that becomes illegal tomorrow but is legal today, could get us locked up.)
I gotta agree with Judy on this. This specifically has a case designed which is against illegal aliens. Its also not broad standing along with its not really a "post defacto", instead it says yes the lawsuit stands.... just the person cannot claim by current law if it hasn't been paid out already. While we F*ck ourselves by allowing judge rulings to be decised by case law we don't write new laws based on case legislation and such would still need to go through the full legislative branch for adding new uses.

I don't see any way this would turn against Citizens but really protect Citizens. I do see how this can turn against illegals such as if an employer refused to pay them and fired them.... but umm... do we really care about illegals? Its like people who go to the police and say someone stole their bag of weed or their local drug dealer ripped them off.