Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AZ Primary: McCain defeats primary challenger Hayworth

McCain defeats primary challenger Hayworth

By: Associated Press By: Associated Press

PHOENIX - Sen. John McCain routed conservative challenger J.D. Hayworth on Tuesday in the Republican primary in what could be the final campaign for the former GOP presidential nominee.

McCain spent more than $20 million to beat back an aggressive challenge from Hayworth, who relentlessly attacked the senator for his shifting stance on immigration and sought to tap into the anti-incumbent rage that has taken down other lawmakers in 2010.

Two years after his bitter loss in pursuit of the White House, the 73-year-old McCain now begins a final 10-week push and will be the heavy favorite. The Democratic race was still undecided, but whoever emerges will have an uphill fight in heavily conservative Arizona.

That means McCain will likely be back in the Senate next year, raising a number of questions about the future of a gridlocked Washington.

Will he work with Democrats again? Will he play a role in immigration legislation? Will he be Obama's chief nemesis?

"My guess is that he will move back a little bit to trying to be a consensus builder, someone who will try to bring Democrats and Republicans together," said Bruce Merrill, a former pollster and McCain staffer who was surprised by the senator's sudden move to the right. "I hope so."

Hayworth, a former congressman and talk-radio host, had hoped to win over conservatives frustrated with McCain's famous willingness to buck his party and work with Democrats on issues like campaign finance, immigration and climate change.

In response, McCain abandoned his maverick label and cast aside one of the most powerful brands in American politics as he fought to reassure conservatives they could trust him, namely by taking a harder stance on border issues amid the debate over Arizona's immigration law.

McCain also portrayed Hayworth as a big-spending creature of Washington and a late-night infomercial "huckster."

In 2007, Hayworth appeared in an infomercial pitching free government money on behalf of a company accused of swindling customers out of thousands of dollars.

Four Democrats are vying to take on McCain, and they all lack the broad name recognition of McCain and the huge bank account that the incumbent has from his 2008 presidential campaign.

McCain has never lost an election in his home state and has rarely faced serious opposition since he succeeded Barry Goldwater in the Senate in 1986.

In an e-mail to reporters Tuesday morning, McCain spokesman Brian Rogers recalled a half-dozen ways the campaign exploited Hayworth missteps to knock him to the ground, including the infomercial and his support of the birther movement questioning President Barack Obama's citizenship.

Rogers closed with this: "The Democrats will choose their nominee today. Who wants to be next?"

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/state/ap% ... r-hayworth

h47

I am thoroughly disgusted by McCain. I was so hoping JD Hayworth would of won. If I lived in Arizona, I would have voted for Hayworth.
    "Illegal aliens are not immigrants, they are foreign intruders"... Jean Baptiste Truong
    NO amnesty for illegal aliens.
    Arrest and deport illegal aliens back to their own country.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Patriot's ~ Thank you for trying ~ As far as those that voted for McCain ~ You lost any and ALL Support from this Veteran ... Bye Bye Arizona.. I'll pray that you gently get sucked into Mexico

Thats what the Globalists too Include McCain want
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hate Juan McAmnesty. Sorry if that is strong, but I truly despise this lying traitor. I now hope his opponent in the general election beats him. I don't care what party opponent is, and I don't even care if opponent is pro-amnesty. Juan is pro-amnesty, so whats the difference? I just want the pleasure of seeing this lying bast--d fired and out of DC, and retired to Mexico.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

Arizonans - I really don't understand. I had so much respect for you, and hope that you would be a leader in the fight against the illegal invasion. You passed and supported the pro-enforcement law, you have reelected Sheriff Joe in the past, you nominate Gov Brewer this eve....... But how could the Repubs/independents vote in Arizona's open primary to reelect one of the main people who has CAUSED your problems in the first place?? How is this possible?? I'm sorry, but I just lost a lot of respect for Arizona.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

It is very disappointing, but what a great effort William and the ALIPACERS put forth to work for a different outcome. But remember, the people of Arizona are leading the way through the state legislation to help us in more ways than we can count. Who is know why Republicans in Arizona favored McCain over Hayworth when McCain has always supported Amnesty, which is such a betrayal of their best interest as well as ours. Voters are unpredictable at times, and sometimes, they just go with what they know, even if they don't agree with that candidate on everything.

Lets vow to support with all our hearts, soul, minds and deeds any and every state that passes a state immigration law as Arizona has done. Perhaps they know something about a McCain Epiphany that we didn't know before. Perhaps if they've been snookered by McCain on immigration, then Arizona is the one state that will deliver the payback McCain deserves and recall him.

The future is long and no good deed or good work goes unnoticed. The work everyone did to try to defeat McCain may not have defeated him, but perhaps it changed him. Lets hope for the best and keep the pressure on McCain to put Americans first and foremost, always and forever.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7
    Patriot's ~ Thank you for trying ~ As far as those that voted for McCain ~ You lost any and ALL Support from this Veteran ... Bye Bye Arizona.. I'll pray that you gently get sucked into Mexico

That is BS. And uncalled for..
    Everyone was so proud,"1070" passing state enforcement laws then something goes sour and the condescending
    immature attitude.
    You insult those that are on the front lines and have been working hard.
    How dare you.
    McCain sucked, Hayworth sucked more. Thats all Arizona said today.
    Direct your mud slinging to McCain. Write him a letter describing your disgust.A letter that goes in an
    envelope with a stamp if you remember how. That may be more pro active
    than insulting Arizona.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Quote Originally Posted by airdale
    Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7

That is BS. And uncalled for..
    Everyone was so proud,"1070" passing state enforcement laws then something goes sour and the condescending
    immature attitude.
    You insult those that are on the front lines and have been working hard.
    How dare you.
    McCain sucked, Hayworth sucked more. Thats all Arizona said today.
    Direct your mud slinging to McCain. Write him a letter describing your disgust.A letter that goes in an
    envelope with a stamp if you remember how. That may be more pro active
    than insulting Arizona.
    dont even try it... if all that crap stopped inside Arizona and didnt flood to the rest of the states it wouldnt matter.. but what happens there hits us just as bad.. your problem has become OUR problem

I'm done with Arizona... I will not boycott, but I'll not fight the boycotts either.. your on your own as far as I am concerned
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ALIPAC Email:

John AMNESTY McCain has been reelected

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-210376.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast