Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Baltimore County, Maryland forms pact with Taiwan

Baltimore County forms pact with Taipei County in Taiwan
    PDF | Email
    Jaime Malarkey, The Examiner
    Jun 28, 2006 7:00 AM (13 hrs ago)

Baltimore County - Baltimore County has a sister in Taiwan.

About 29 dignitaries from Taipei County, in Taiwan, visited Baltimore County on Tuesday to sign an agreement that joins the two as municipal sisters. The officials crowded into County Executive Jim Smith’s office to exchange gifts, bestow honorary citizenships and watch their own county executive, Hsi-Wei Chou, sign the partnership agreement.

The memo, written in English and Chinese, also identified representatives from each to serve as liaisons. Baltimore County Del. Adrienne Jones, county Economic Development Director David Iannucci and Towson resident Charlie Bau — who suggested the sisterhood — will serve the county.

“There are lots of things you can do with this,” Bau said. “We could exchange ideas, even exchange teachers. We could send English teachers and they could send Chinese.”

Officials marveled at the similarities of the two counties, presented in films and slide shows. Taipei and Baltimore counties huddle around major cities, are near commercial ports and have protected urban-rural divisions.

Both counties are throwing their weight behind public development investments and business expansion — particularly in the biotechnology and high-tech industry.

“It’s amazing,” said county spokesman Don Mohler. “Everyone was so struck by how they are mirror images.”

Taipei county is larger than Baltimore County, with 3.7 million residents compared to Baltimore County’s 800,000. Chou, who gave Smith an abstract painting he did himself, said his county is looking for advice on spurring the tourism industry back at home.

“You could help us create more restaurants,” he said. “You’ve done a great job with that here. We love the food.”

Jones said most sister relationships are between cities or states — rarely between counties. She said Baltimore County officials will likely visit Taipei in the near future.

jmalarkey@baltimoreexaminer.com

*Baltimore County forms pact with Taipei County in Taiwan*

<This is happening in my state. I wonder how many other states in our country are selling out like this. Regardless of what the county states, I do not think this is a good thing. There are many in this county including myself who WANT to open a business and are citizens of this country and county! My family line goes back to Roanoke and no one is helping me to open my first business! What is happening to this country?
    Theresa

Welcome, Theresa,

One word: Globalism. That's what's happening.

I live in Miami and had a Cuban tell me that businesses should be started for Cubans, and that they shouldn't have to pay taxes for 10 years.

I asked why? I told him that I had been flat broke and started a business, myself AND that I had been a taxpayer all my life....why should he get better treatment in my country, than I did? He shut up really quickly.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Re: Baltimore County, Maryland forms pact with Taiwan

Hi Theresa, and welcome to ALIPAC!

While this may be construed as globalism, Baltimore County is deviating from the "globalism norm", if you will, on these counts:

-- Nationalist China (the real name for Taiwan) is adversary to Communist Red China.

-- This goes against Jimmy Carter liberalism. During his presidency, Jimmy Carter closed the US embassy in Nationalist China in order to please Communist China.

-- Nationalist China is (or should still be) a US ally, unlike Communist China, India, and Mexico.

So, where is Baltimore County going with this - will they outsource jobs or what? I would also speculate that the WalMart leadership must be horrified at such a relationship, since Walmart is "in bed with" COMMUNIST Red China. Amazing that WalMart isn't trying to put a stop to this.

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

Good morning, Curious Pat, and congratulations your upcoming move out of MIA.
    Do you need ideas on places to move to?
    Do you need ideas on places to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by curiouspat
    ...Cuban tell me that businesses should be started for Cubans, and that they shouldn't have to pay taxes for 10 years
    He probably got that "10 year" idea from Bangalore, India. Under India's labor laws, any citizen of India, employed in the outsourcing of American or British jobs, (ie. a Tata employee) gets a "10 year Tax Holiday." For their first 10 years working in outsourcing, all their income is tax free (in India). India provides similiar tax holidays for business that benefit from the elmination of US jobs.

This serves as an incentive for young Indian workers to join Tata, Infosys, HCL, Sat'yam, Wiprospectramind, Acenture, and other "body shops" that benefit from US and UK job destruction.

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

Hi Coto,

You're kidding about India!

I know you're not. Geeessshhhh! No wonder!

I'm speechless....wordless....

As for a house, already have one, but thanks.
    You know places to avoid? PM me!!!! Thanks.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Hi Coto,

You're kidding about India!

I know you're not. Geeessshhhh! No wonder!
    True, about their tax holidays. Sheesh - I was born and raised here in the USA. No wonder what?
    Shall I post my picture?

Cute, you're precious!
    TIME'S UP!

Curious Pat,

Here's my passport photo

You know places to avoid? PM me!!!! Thanks.
    Just see this link
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... highlight=

Coto,

You have the most photogenic passport I have ever seen!!!!

You are one cool and intelligent, cat!!!!
    TIME'S UP!