Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bar Owner To Keep 'Speak English' Sign

Bar Owner To Keep 'Speak English' Sign

POSTED: 10:50 am EDT October 10, 2005
    UPDATED: 11:02 am EDT October 10, 2005

MASON, Ohio -- A bar owner vows he won't take down a window sign that declares, "For Service, Speak English."

The Ohio Civil Rights Commission ruled Thursday that the sign at the Pleasure Inn violates state discrimination laws and creates an affront to Hispanics.

SURVEY
    Do you think the bar owner had a right to hang the sign?
    Yes
    No

Results | Disclaimer

But tavern owner Tom Ullum said the sign is meant to be tongue in cheek.

"We get Mexicans in here all the time, and I don't discriminate," said Ullum, who has owned the tavern for 21 years.

Ohio law says it is unlawful for any proprietor of a place of public accommodation to deny the full enjoyment of the accommodations based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or ancestry.

The commission said the English-only rule serves no purpose other than to discriminate against non-English speaking individuals.

Ullum could be ordered to pay for advertisements about nondiscrimination, and his staff could be ordered to undergo diversity training or cultural sensitivity training.

Ullum is reviewing the issue with his attorney and has nine days to file a motion with the commission asking it to reconsider. If he does, the commission will hold a hearing on Oct. 27 at Cincinnati City Hall.

Mason police officials said there is no record of any complaints of discrimination or mistreatment of customers at the tavern due to race or ethnicity.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/5 ... etail.html
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Survey:

Do you think the bar owner had a right to hang the sign?

3,244 votes

88% Yes
    12% No

So is it llegal now to offend people? Is it ILLEGAL to put up a sign that every tenth person may not like?

Man I swear to God this country is getting like Nazi Germany. For a nation supposedly founded on Free Speech and Freedom of Expression, we sure seem like we're headed down a road where if you dare to say anything anybody may not like, you can be sued or lose your business.

That guy better keep that sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC
    So is it llegal now to offend people? Is it ILLEGAL to put up a sign that every tenth person may not like?

Man I swear to God this country is getting like Nazi Germany. For a nation supposedly founded on Free Speech and Freedom of Expression, we sure seem like we're headed down a road where if you dare to say anything anybody may not like, you can be sued or lose your business.

That guy better keep that sign up.
    I think I know where this bar is. I am going to give them a little call in a little while. To tell him, i will be right behind him. If they want to take this up on the 27th. I will stand beside him all the way.
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Do it, Scub. Tell him he has lots of support. We had better fight this kind of thing or we are screwed. A country speaking 500 different languages will not survive long. We have a school here in Dallas where 80 languages are spoken--which is absolutely absurd. How the hell does a teacher deal with that?

Three cheers for that bar owner. The devil with 'offending' people. One can hardly walk out the door without offending some thin skinned person. Whatever happened to majority rule??

I suggest if you're 'offended' Deal With It.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Exactly. Why are we pandering to the biggest crybabies? If you are so emotionally fragile that your life is ruined by a sign you don't like, well maybe you oughtta go see a psychiatrist. I see crap all the time that I'm not exactly thrilled with, but I don't go around crying about it.

Mason police officials said there is no record of any complaints of discrimination or mistreatment of customers at the tavern due to race or ethnicity.
    Well, that certainly doesn't matter.

An elite member (white, I'm assuming) of the Civil Rights Commission got a case of the vapors when she saw the sign, so that settles it.

The owner must be punished, and punished severely.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by CountFloyd
    Well, that certainly doesn't matter.

An elite member (white, I'm assuming) of the Civil Rights Commission got a case of the vapors when she saw the sign, so that settles it.

The owner must be punished, and punished severely.
    Maybe I should call him again and ask. WHY don't we replace it with Deport Illegal Aliens and WE Support the MINUTE MEN

Scuba,

Give this guy a call for us or stop by and tell him we have his back. We can notify our people in the area to show up for any meetings etc...

Im glad they are standing their ground. A polite call of support may be well appreciated. Tell them about ALIPAC, who we are etc...

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast