Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Beauprez Calls For Action On Illegal Immigration

http://cbs4denver.com/politics/local_st ... 94333.html

Aug 18, 2006 7:41 am US/Mountain

Beauprez Calls For Action On Illegal Immigration
    By Steven K. Paulson, AP Writer
    (AP) LAKEWOOD, Colo. Congress needs to stop shirking its duties and pass a bill cracking down on illegal immigration, though gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez on Thursday said he doesn't know if lawmakers can reach an agreement.

"I honestly don't know if that can happen because the divide is very, very great. I'm extremely frustrated. At some point, the rule of law has to prevail," Beauprez said at a packed congressional hearing at Lakewood City Hall.

Beauprez, a Republican, is giving up his 7th Congressional seat to take on former Denver district attorney Bill Ritter for governor.

He said a bill passed by the House would have bolstered immigration laws, while the Senate version would have lured more illegal immigrants to this country.

Several witnesses asked Beauprez why he and other politicians don't enforce laws already on the books.

Cliff Frye, a World War II veteran who identified himself as "Small Fry," a frustrated voter who is tired of being ignored, told Beauprez the country already has laws that are not being enforced.

"You don't do your job. You always pass the buck," he told Beauprez. "What's the matter with this country? It's going down hill. You know what they're going to call us? United Mexico," said Frye.

Dave Rupert, a member of the Colorado Minutemen, a group that volunteered to patrol the Mexican border looking for illegal immigrants, said little is being done about the issue. He said Beauprez contributed to the problem when he voted for the Central American Free Trade Agreement, increasing the movement of goods and services across the border.

Beauprez said there were no magic solutions from the meeting and it will take time for Congress to reach an agreement.

Notably missing from Thursday's hearing were Hispanic rights groups.

Ricardo Martinez, who founded Padres Unidos in Denver to fight for immigrant rights, said Beauprez was using the hearing for grandstanding while running for governor.

"That was just a political ploy," Martinez said.

He said his group has asked to testify at the "real" hearing on Aug. 30 scheduled by Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Padres Unidos? I can't even keep track of these stupid immigrant rights groups. I swear everytime I read an article, there's always a new group of immigrant rights advocates. Sickening we let it get this bad.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

"That was just a political ploy," Martinez said.
    Maybe he needs a lesson in politics or self-honesty.......these "rights" groups should all be name "PLOTical Ploy" groups!!