Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

Border Patrol chief apologizes for remarks

Border Patrol chief apologizes for remarks

By Sara A. Carter
    August 28, 2007

A Border Patrol chief yesterday apologized for saying the agency's mission is stopping terrorists, not illegal aliens or drug smugglers, a stance that outraged congressional lawmakers.

"It's painfully obvious to me that I could have done a better job of articulating my talking points," said sector Chief Carlos X. Carrillo, who made the controversial comments last week at a town hall meeting in Laredo, Texas.

"As long as the resources are made available to the people who can make it happen, we will certainly do everything we can to ensure that a zero tolerance policy is brought forward. But to initiate a program like this, without the funding, would not be wise."

Rep. John Culberson, Texas Republican, was angered by Chief Carrillo's comments and contacted him yesterday for clarification. Mr. Culberson, a member of the House Appropriations homeland security subcommittee, said the Laredo chief apologized and promised to continue strict apprehension policies along the border.

"Chief Carrillo promised me that he will do his very best to implement Del Rio's zero tolerance policy," Mr. Culberson said, referring to the Del Rio sector's strong policies to incarcerate all illegal aliens caught in high traffic areas. "I promised the chief that we are totally committed to finding the funds that he needs to make that happen."

Chief Carrillo said that Laredo needs funding to hire more prosecutors and U.S. marshals, and more jail-bed space before his agency can adopt the strict zero-tolerance policy.

Operation Streamline II, mainly implemented in the Del Rio sector, is a policy in which illegal aliens face prosecution if they cross the border and can receive a maximum penalty of 180 days in jail for the violation.

The Del Rio sector noted a 38 percent drop in the apprehension of illegal aliens in 2006 and a 52 percent reduction in 2007, Mr. Culberson said.

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 80036/1001

WTG, Culberson! Gee, I wish my rep was a member of the Appropriations Committe........
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.