Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Border Patrol May Work alongside Escondido Police

Border patrol may work alongside Escondido police

By: PAUL EAKINS - Staff Writer

ESCONDIDO -- The Escondido City Council may take a new approach in its fight against illegal immigration.

Escondido Police Chief Jim Maher is scheduled to present a revised policy Wednesday that Councilman Sam Abed hopes will allow border patrol agents to work with local police.

The revised policy was brought about by Abed's suggestions at a January workshop that the police and border patrol work together to remove illegal immigrants who commit crimes in Escondido. However, Maher expressed concern about implementing such a policy.

What exactly Maher will present Wednesday, and whether it will meet the expectations of Abed and other council members, is unclear, based on the meeting agenda. Maher was not available for comment Monday.

The meeting will begin at 4 p.m. at City Hall, 201 N. Broadway.

The agenda only says the presentation is to inform the council about the police department's "enforcement policies regarding interagency cooperation, including working with undocumented foreign nationals."

Councilman Sam Abed said Monday he wants the city to take a more "aggressive" approach to crime, including border patrol agents joining local police in traffic checkpoints and other operations in order to detain and deport illegal immigrants who commit crimes.

"If you are illegal, if you drive under the influence (of alcohol) in the city streets, then you cannot belong in this community," Abed said, citing one example of a case in which an illegal immigrant would be detained by immigration officials under his proposed policy.

The police already turn illegal immigrants arrested for serious crimes over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials, but the policy sought by Abed would widen its scope to include those cited for less serious crimes such as driving without insurance.

Maher, however, has said such a policy could have a negative impact on the police department's relations with some parts of the community. Once Maher presents the revised policy, the council could ask him to revise it again to better fit the council's wishes.

During the Jan. 17 workshop when Abed proposed the policy change, Maher told the council he doesn't want police officers to be perceived as border patrol officers.

"My fear is that that segment of the community would just see us as an extension of federal immigration enforcement," Maher said.

Consuelo Martinez, spokeswoman for the Escondido Human Rights Committee, said Monday the proposal would only widen the community rift already created by the council's past actions.

The council passed an ordinance 3-2 last year prohibiting landlords from renting to illegal immigrants, which the council eventually abandoned in the face of potentially high legal costs stemming from a lawsuit by civil rights groups.

"If they were to include border patrol at the checkpoints, it's going to divide the community even more, and people aren't going to have any confidence in the city or the police," Martinez said.

But Abed said Monday he isn't concerned the presence of border patrol agents would affect police and community relations. The policy would only affect those who commit crimes in Escondido, he said.

"We're not going after somebody who has an honest job and is playing by the rules," Abed said.

Mayor Lori Holt Pfeiler said Monday she wants to hear what Maher recommends, but fears Abed already has made up his mind on the issue before even hearing the police chief's advice. She said the city does a fine job of enforcing its laws without taking on illegal immigration too.

"You need to leave the federal immigration laws to the federal government," Pfeiler said.

Council members Ed Gallo and Marie Waldron have stood with Abed in the past in supporting laws meant to fight illegal immigration. The three council members were the ones to vote in favor of last year's rental ordinance.

Also, during the council's 7 p.m. meeting Wednesday, council members will consider approving a stricter revised ordinance for adult entertainment establishments such as strip clubs and adult video stores. Some community members are upset about the ordinance because of the proximity of areas designated for such businesses to their homes or schools.

The city has had seven of the designated adult business areas in place for about 12 years, city officials said Monday. Cities are required by law to allow the businesses, but can restrict where they can operate.

But some community members only became aware of the locations with the city's recent decision to revise the law.

Charleen Mitchell, who lives near the intersection of East Valley Parkway and Citrus Avenue, said last week she wants the city to change the designated locations. Three of the seven areas are on East Valley Parkway, including two on either side of Citrus.

"Tons of kids walk from seven schools past my home every day," Mitchell said. "... This isn't a healthy situation for children."

However, no adult businesses are planned at any of the sites, city officials said.

-- Contact staff writer Paul Eakins at (760) 740-5420 or peakins@nctimes.com.

Previous Story: Hearing set for lieutenant colonel charged in Haditha case
    Next Story: Two Camp Pendleton service members killed in Iraq

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
    Robert24 wrote on March 05, 2007 9:31 PM:"You know, if we could just enforce the rules we have already, we wouldn't have to ask for help from "whoever has the jurisdiction to handle the situation", like the Border Patrol or the Feds. Wrong is wrong. Arrest and deport. How sad that we have to keep trying to come up with ways to keep everybody happy, yet all it does is allows for more laws to be broken."

Dear Mayor wrote on March 05, 2007 9:44 PM:"The Federal Government, Bush, Gonzalez, are not doing their job. It is up to communities to protect our own City. It is illegal to cross our borders without permission. We need the National Guard, the Police and the Border Patrol to find illegals, and deport them. Start fining slum landlords, fine illegal employers and churches that harbor illegals. American Citizens have a right to have the law obeyed. Illegal aliens have no rights to demand anything. If they don't like the way we do things here, they can go home to their own Country. I won't sneak across your border if you don't sneak across ours. "

Ask wrote on March 05, 2007 11:00 PM:"I can already imagine 5 of the next 10 comments. Escondido is mean etc.... they cant do that... 911 call the WHAAAMBULANCE. All their trying to do is have those who commit crimes and are here illegaly be deported."

anotherview wrote on March 05, 2007 11:39 PM:"America can free itself of criminal illegal aliens. Cooperation among federal, state, and local agencies to this desirable end will surely bring that fine day near sooner than otherwise. Ignoring the benefits of this cooperation by such irresponsible statements as, "You need to leave the federal immigration laws to the federal government" only serves to hamper efforts to rid America of criminal illegal aliens. Federal law now permits cooperation among federal agencies and local law enforcement. Rounding up criminal illegal aliens and deporting them to their home countries will help moderate the social evil of criminality. America already has enough criminals. Let us applaud the responsible elected officials of the City of Escondido for proposing steps to remove criminal illegal aliens from America."

Polic working with the Feds wrote on March 06, 2007 1:40 AM:"is a step in the right direction. Mayor Pfeiler needs to think about the needs of the majority, the legal citizens of Escondido. Polical correctness does not work when the people you are trying to protect are lawbreakers. "

It is Simple wrote on March 06, 2007 4:22 AM:"Break the Law, go to Jail. If you are uninvited and an illegal visitor, you are breaking the law. You are not an undocumented guest. You are a law breaker. "

Scott wrote on March 06, 2007 6:39 AM:"I agree with Consuelo Martinez, it will divide the community. Hopefully it will divide it all the way across the border and they can give "their" opinions to "their" government. This is Community Oriented Policing (COPPS) at it's best. A department should utilize whatever resorces necessary to eliminate whatever is blighting the community. Good Job EPD, thanks for stepping up Sam."

Good Division wrote on March 06, 2007 6:51 AM:"Consuelo Martinez, the only division that will happen is the division of law abiders and law breakers. What's wrong with that?"

Skip wrote on March 06, 2007 6:58 AM:"A great idea, and I hope it works. Every Illegal Alien caught driving without license, insurance and registration should immediately be deported. Legal Immigrants or visitors don't have to worrry as they can uses the driver's license from their home country, or legally obtain one in California."

Al wrote on March 06, 2007 7:01 AM:"his way overdue! It's unfortunate that EscoMexcio is now 55% Hispanic, mostly ILLEGAL immigrants, because of our defunct Mayor Ms. Do Nothing Pheiler. I priase Sam Abed for his ideas and wantingness to clean-up this town. It will neve be anything more than a lower middle class blue-collar town with these demograhpics and along with poor public school ratings."

Responsible Law Enforcement wrote on March 06, 2007 7:29 AM:"Local police departments can enforce Federal immigration laws. An excellent law review article by Professor Kris W. Kobach is published in the Albany Law Review, volume 69, page 179, titled, 'The Quintessential Force Multiplier: The Inherent Authority of Local Police to Make Immigration Arrests'."

mrwek wrote on March 06, 2007 7:33 AM:"UH OH......the Mexican illegals aren't going to like this at all. Can you imagine??? Be an illegal...drive without a license...and get deported. That would certainly make for a lot less traffic on the streets of Escondido. WOW! They would all have to go to bicycles then. "

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/03 ... 3_5_07.txt
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

All law enforcement should be able to enforce all laws. If you cannot prove you are here legally then you should leave the country. If we all need to care documents or an ID so what. I don't like carrying a handbag but do carry an ID in my pocket. Everyone can. When traveling in Texas and Az I have often been stopped but I don't yell racism or sexism I just show my ID. why is it the criminals yell racism when stopped.

They'll cry racism to get out of everything!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

The wool over my eyes is scratchy... wrote on March 06, 2007 7:37 AM:"Ok...uh, someone clarify for me. They aren't going to bust all the illegals, only those that commit crimes, right? Hmm...isn't breaking into the US illegally a crime? Am I taking crazy pills here?? Who cares if it might mean people don't like the cops...nobody likes the cops anyways! Not because they are bad but because they are the ones who catch us when we are breaking the law and make us own up to our bad behavior! If you don't have anything to hide then you shouldn't have anything to fear!"

Great Idea wrote on March 06, 2007 7:39 AM:"I love the idea. If you are illegal you are not welcome. It has nothing to do with color or race. It is simple as that! They are only enforcing the law, no exceptions. No one invited illegals here!"

Mr E in Esco wrote on March 06, 2007 7:42 AM:"To say “If they were to include border patrol at the checkpoints, it's going to divide the community even more” shows how far attached city government is with its taxpaying LEGAL community. People already don’t have any confidence in the city or the police and its been that way sine the third world country placed Escondido on their map for illegals as a city of destination (due to its policies in avoiding these law breakers) and the city did nothing to first prevent this! Most first generation illegals already see the Police as an extension of federal immigration enforcement; unfortunately our public officials don’t see it that way, just as long as they can keep changing impound fees for the same people every month, they are happy! This is why our gang rate is outrageous, we are knowN as the hit an run capital of North County, our homes have never had the same values as other cities AND OUR FAMILIES FEEL UNSAFE! If an Escondido Tax Payer (who also pays for the Boarder Patrol) wants the BP here to protect us, then they dam well better be here! Ask any Street Cop and they will tell you they welcome the assistance from other agencies. But is the Chief who is holding them back, the same guy who never deals with the day to day problems of the drunken illegal who sleeps in a bush next to the flood channel! With Mayor Pfeiler’s only concern being big business (and cheep labor to work there), added with a Police Chief who is stuck in the dark ages, its know wonder we are in this situation. "

I have been praying wrote on March 06, 2007 7:55 AM:"that we would be delivered from the gangs and violence in Escondido. Every time one of our brave council members trys to do something they are thwarted by the likes of Sifuentes, ACLU and other liberal open border, law ignoring people. Thank you God!"

Hey Cheif wrote on March 06, 2007 7:58 AM:"you do know bank robbery is a federal crime, what do your officers have, speed dial for the FBI? I know you don't want the community to think of you as federal agents! Much easier to give jay walking and littering tickets to Americans, at least you will know they will show up in court!"

AG wrote on March 06, 2007 8:01 AM:"Duh, what are we waiting for? Each city should budget, to pay for at least 1 Border Patrol agent and a vehicle. That is what I want my tax dollars to go towards. Not stupid stuff like 500 dollar savings accounts for newborns."

Concerned-1 wrote on March 06, 2007 8:31 AM:"Consuela's remarks are funny, if not sad. How far have we come, that people like her can stand up for law breakers? Bravo for Escondido for addressing the Third World invasion issue at the local level. It's obvious that it won't be done by the feds."

Dump Lori Pfeiller wrote on March 06, 2007 8:32 AM:"It's time for Lori Holt Pfieller to go. As an elected local government official, she took an oath to uphold the law and the US and California Constitutions. She has no right to pick and choose what laws she wants to enforce and what laws she wants to pass the buck to the federal government on. Mr. Abed is on the right path but he doesn't go far enough. He said "If you are illegal, if you drive under the influence (of alcohol) in the city streets, then you cannot belong in this community," An killegal alien is breaking the law by entering America without going through immigration, that offense is punishable by 6 months in jail the first time you're caught and 2 years for the second offense. You shouldn't have to imperil someone's life by driving DUI in order to be sent back to your country of origin, the mere fact that you're here is a violation of our laws. There are plenty of Americans in jail in Mexico for buying medication from a pharmacy without a prescription, for having a weapon or having marijuana. Remember the San Diego 50 year old woman who is locked up in some rat infested Tijuana jail for 5 years for buying valium without a prescription from a Mexican pharmacy? Deport these illegal criminals out of our country. What will it take? Al Quaida sneaking over the border into San Diego before we crack down?"

Scott wrote on March 06, 2007 8:44 AM:"Robert24 and Ask, well said!!"

AResident wrote on March 06, 2007 8:48 AM:""If they were to include border patrol at the checkpoints, it's going to divide the community even more, and people aren't going to have any confidence in the city or the police," Martinez said. ANY CONFIDENCE??? What are you talking about. If the Police and BP don't do their jobs. Then of course theres no confidence. I don't have any confidence in the city. They are not even smart enough to inforce the laws on the books. FAR TO MUCH POLITICING. CAN'T LOOSE VOTES NOW right?? Put my head in the sand and turn a blind eye. Get real, feelings get hurt now and again. You get over it. Make it a great day."

RightOn wrote on March 06, 2007 8:50 AM:"Right on Escondido, Make me proud!!"

citizen wrote on March 06, 2007 9:12 AM:"I don't understand what the problem is. If we were in another country, that country would not allow us to behave unlawfully, so why do we allow it? As Robert24 stated we just need to enforce the rules we already have!!!"

pablo wrote on March 06, 2007 9:34 AM:"Escondido's Mayor and Police Chief do not want to do anything about illegal immigrants until they are jailed for doing something else illegal. How stupid. Escondido's councilmembers should assert themselves by agreeing to have our police department allow it's officers to be cross-trained by ICE under Section 287(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act as numerous other police departments are doing. Then, despite the whining of the Mayor and Chief, Escondido's police officers could be authorized to detain and arrest suspected illegal immigrants on our streets during the course of their regular duties including traffic checkpoints. "

Ray wrote on March 06, 2007 9:43 AM:"We all know this is just politics from Mr. Abed just like Waldron. Mr Abed is using the immigration for his personal political intentions since it work for Waldron and undermining the present and future issues of Escondido."

Preotect My Community wrote on March 06, 2007 9:44 AM:"Once again we see how Pfeiler is more concerned about the illegals than she is her taxpaying constituents. If you are here illegally, drive without insurance or under the influence of drugs and alcohol, you should be afraid, very afraid. Since the federal government is failing to protect the taxpayers from crimes committed by illegals behind the wheel, it is up to local jurisdictions to put some teeth behind immigration enforcement. Why are insurance rates for legal, taxpaying citizens in Mexcondido so high? Because we have one of the highest proportions of uninsured, unlicensed drivers in the county living right here! Abed's creative idea of using the Border Patrol to get them off of the streets protects my pocketbook and yours. And, Pfeiler and Maher are interested in preserving relations in certain neighborhoods? What about protecting relationships in my neighborhood, where middle class, taxpaying citizens or legal immigrants live?"

Border partrol?... wrote on March 06, 2007 9:55 AM:"And you want to solve a problem with this? stupid idea! , you are trying to get rid off of us? you can't deport all of us!you can try! But we are here to stay! "

ex-condidan wrote on March 06, 2007 9:59 AM:"Come on human rights people, can't you see what is happening. Now, when your precious illegals get caught breaking the law, they can provide fake names, info to police and border patrol, get deported, then be back across the border by the weekend. They won't have to worry about fines and such, like citizens do, they get deported and will be back in no time. Yet another example on how illegals are protected. I love the idea, but stop the flow also. Triple fence, triple fence, triple fence. It is a good start, Thank you Sam Abed. "

To AResident wrote on March 06, 2007 10:21 AM:"Their going to divide the community. When enough are deported, the divided community will be resolved. Turning a blind eye, is that not what residents are asking the police to do now about illegal immigrants in the city??? "

Go Sam wrote on March 06, 2007 10:26 AM:"Maher was hired to enforce the law. All laws! Not just ones he feels like enforcing. Can I obey only those laws I want to obey? If he can't or is afraid to do his job, fire him! Rather than having six cars pull over a speeder, have them patroling for illegal law breakers. The public can see these law breakers all day long why can't he? How Lori gets reelected is a joke. Somebody tell her ILLEGAL immigration is against the law and being such police have the duty to enforce the law. If they were doing such a "fine" job Escondido wouldn't have the crime it does. Lori, your developer and landlord $$$ backers can find legal buyers and renters you don't have to continue to sell yourself out!!"

Beth-SM wrote on March 06, 2007 10:36 AM:"Maher, however, has said such a policy "could have a negative impact on the police department's relations with some parts of the community. Once Maher presents the revised policy, the council could ask him to revise it again to better fit the council's wishes. quoting the article During the Jan. 17 workshop when Abed proposed the policy change, Maher told the council he doesn't want police officers to be perceived as border patrol officers. "My fear is that that segment of the community would just see us as an extension of federal immigration enforcement," Maher said." I find it amazing that the rest of us (legal immigrants and US Citizens)should be held to a different standard and set of laws based on our race and origin. WE have to pay insurance, pay taxes, and abide by the laws and rules of this country. This is Bull! What ABOUT EQUAL>>????????????"

Who cares
    wrote on March 06, 2007 10:39 AM:"Who cares if Abed is using this, the bottom line we need our streets cleaned up. I am a Latino and I am not upset. Clean the streets and get rid of "all" illegal people and activities."

Concerned-1 wrote on March 06, 2007 10:55 AM:"Is there any such thing as screening for making sense? Very Upset's post makes no sense. At least "Border Patrol" has a point. "

There is always ONE NUGGET that makes this dreary mindless time investment worth the while wrote on March 06, 2007 12:13 PM:"In this instant it's 'RAY 9:43AM'. The one LEGAL immigration category that both interests and intrigues me is "THE POLITICAL, RELIGIOUS or criminal ASYLUM" immigration clause. Correct me if wrong, candidates who qualify (with their TRUMPED up fabrications and LIES) are EXEMPT from the usual CRIMINAL and HEALTH screenings that are REQUIRED of all other VISA applicants. Once they are accepted under the ASYLUM clause are given FREE PASSAGE (compliment's of the USA Tax Payer) and a PLETHORA of FREE benefits for an undetermined length of time awaits them on arrival in the US. They are most likely to be resettled here in Sunny Southern CA as opposed to the less desirable climatic zones of the EAST or MIDWEST. Monthly Supplemental Security Checks (Not to be confused with SOCIAL Security), Medicaid (not to be confused with MEDICARE),food stamps, housing/clothing/educational/travel/child care allowances and much much more. No minimum wage stoop labor for them. They have other goals and orientations toward their benefactors. How about delving into the background of our politicians. First and foremost Question should be COUNTRY of origin? Second, under what type of Visa were you admitted to the USA?"

Thanks Sam wrote on March 06, 2007 12:29 PM:"To all of you who have written here in favor of upholding ALL of our immi gration laws, let's channel our outrage at Lori and Maher, etc. by E-MAILING them DIRECTLY (check the Escondido Chamber of Commerce and Police websites for their direct e-mail addresses). Let's inundate them with our frustrations with the illegals! "

Unbelievable!! wrote on March 06, 2007 12:40 PM:"A segment of the community might be upset that the police are enforcing our laws against illegal aliens. So, just get rid of all laws, as there will be some segment who will be upset by any law. Illegals are breaking our laws every day they are here. Law enforcement must do their job. If illegals are upset they can go home."

9-11 Failures! wrote on March 06, 2007 12:44 PM:"Several of the 9-11 suicide terrorists had expired visas, and were stopped by local law enforcement for traffic violations. The background checks came up clean BECAUSE no immigration checks were performed. Mayor Lori Holt Pfeiler claims that Escondido needs to leave enforcement of the federal immigration laws to the federal government. Her thinking is exactly what enabled the terrorists to carry out their attacks!"

Tired of Abed wrote on March 06, 2007 12:47 PM:"It is interesting to know that Mr. Abed is soooo concern with crime committed by undocumented inmigrants. Maybe he should start by requesting proof of citizenship to his costumers. Don't ask other people what you are not willing to do. Chief Maher would have to enforce regulations that Mr. Abed (the business owner) does not care about. He cares about filling his pockets with money from undocumented customers. Mr. Abed should resign out of shame. "

YES, Sam wrote on March 06, 2007 1:03 PM:"What a novel idea! Two law enforcement agencies working together! It's about time this "new approach" was used, although it's plain to see that Pfeiler, Maher, and Martinez want to drag their feet for fear of offending the illegal law-breakers and the open border supporters. No wonder the situation has become completely out of control. Pheiler and Martinez, like other open border advocates want to leave it to the feds, knowing nothing will be done in our lifetime, and Maher seems to be so worried about offending the law-breakers that he doesn't want to rock the boat. Go Sam, please don't let them keep you from doing the right thing!"

morty wrote on March 06, 2007 1:04 PM:"wow hadnt thought about riding bikes. better lock your garage.THERE BACK."

Very Upset wrote on March 06, 2007 1:19 PM:"To everyone that is against Illegals in Escondido. What are you going to do if and when they get rid of all the illegals. Who is going to do all the jobs you don't want to do? I guess there wont be no more car washes, fast food restaurants, hotels, etc.... Why you ask because we wont be here to do those jobs! Oh and by the way you will have to go pick your own fruits and vegetables or pay the high prices. People are so ignorant you blame the illegals for using welfare and other government services. If you open your eyes there are alot of Legal Citizens that take advantage of the system when they have two arms and two legs to get off the behinds and go to work!"

To Very Upset wrote on March 06, 2007 1:45 PM:"No one is out to hurt Latino's. If you are legal, you have no worries. Its not what the illegals want, its what the Legal Tax paying citizens want. We have the RIGHT to defend our sovereighty and American culture, thats just it. We will defend it. So get over it."

get real! wrote on March 06, 2007 2:21 PM:"It's going to tough, but I think American Citizens can muddle through. How about all illegals go home and wait until we beg you to come back. In the meantime we can secure our borders."

Diane wrote on March 06, 2007 2:25 PM:"To respond to Ver Upset.......I work in the medical records department of one of the local hospitals...now explain to me why it is that the majority of the patients are CERTIFIED ILLEGALs who are benifitting off of Medicare and Medical, no US Identification at all? The number of bonafide AMERICANS who are DENIED any help from their govenment is incredible. It is time for WE THE PEOPLE to take back our City, County, and Country from the Illegal pestulance."

American-Irish Resident wrote on March 06, 2007 2:33 PM:"This will not divide the Escondido community. The American-Mexican community is as interested in living in a law abiding community as anybody else. The American-Mexican citizenry I know are US citizens and proud of it. They too are not in favor of illegal citizens causing problems in Escondido. "

Next wrote on March 06, 2007 2:38 PM:"I applaud Escondido and what they are trying to do. Now, who will be the next city to step up and do the right thing? There is no law and order in this country. Illegals can do anything they want and get away with it and not be deported. If by chance they are deported they are right back here the next day. It is time to say no more!"

Very Upset wrote on March 06, 2007 3:19 PM:"I have lived in Escondido all of my life (30 yrs.)I came to the US when I was a year old. I came ilegally as a child and I am now a US Citizen. I can't believe that the City of Escondido is so full of racisim. But with the City Council members that we have in office we will always have these problems. They will do anything to be in the public view. If they look back in Escondido history they would see that the immigrants have made Escondido what it is today a GREAT city. I say lets get rid of Abed, Waldron, Daniels, and Gallo so we can have peace back in our community!! "

Change the border wrote on March 06, 2007 3:30 PM:"I beleive that San Diego and the Inland Empire should be annexed into Tijuana. This would alleviate the United States problem with crime and worries about rising health care costs in California. Lets face it the Mexican population is by far the majority there anyway. This is going to happen eventually anyway becuase of the downfall of the housing market and all the bankruptcy's happening. This is a welcomed road to owning a home for the Mexican people."

Criminals wrote on March 06, 2007 3:38 PM:"To all you illegals,I am so sick of hearing stupid comments like, who's going to wash your cars and who will cook your food etc.. YOU CAN, ONCE YOU GO THROUGH OUR LEGAL IMMAGRATION PROCESS AND RECIEVE LEGAL PERMENANT STATUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY SHOULD LATINO'S BE ABOVE OUR LAWS!!!! IF YOU BREAK THE LAW YOU SHOULD BE ARRESTED!!! WE DONT CARE IF YOU WANT A BETTER LIFE JUST DONT COME HERE ILLEGALY!!"

We are tired wrote on March 06, 2007 3:39 PM:"of CRIMINALS entering our country ILLEGALLY!"

Dangerous wrote on March 06, 2007 4:03 PM:"Requiring our police to become federal immigration agents is very dangerous - If a person is here illegally, and they see a murder committed, they will have a very strong reason why NOT to call the police."

Better study your wrote on March 06, 2007 4:16 PM:"Escondido history....Chinese and filipanos were the workers and when times were tough the citizens of Escondido would roll up their sleeves and help pick the crops too."

um.....
    wrote on March 06, 2007 4:42 PM:"Dangerous, that is one of the silliest blogs I have read. "

Escondeeter wrote on March 06, 2007 5:20 PM:""The world is run by those who show up." Escondido City Council chambers, Wednesday, 4pm. The pro-illegal 'activists' will be there. Will you? "

Nick wrote on March 06, 2007 5:36 PM:"Very Upset is about as far out to lunch as you can get. You actually admit to coming to this Country illegally and know you are a legal citizen. If you are an American like you say, then start acting like it. You obviously have no use for the sovereignity or the the laws of our Country. This land was stolen from my ancestors once before, and I'll be damned if I'm just going to sit by and let it be stolen again, just because you and a handful of ignorant, bleeding heart liberals say so. There is absolutely no reason for 20 million people from south of the border to be is this Country ILLEGALLY, period! Imagine if all those people had stayed in there home country and done something to change their government and forment the change necessary to to give themselves a better life. "

To Dangerous, wrote on March 06, 2007 5:44 PM:"That illegal alien should not even be here to witness a murder. Duh!!!"

Hispanic Escondido resident wrote on March 06, 2007 7:49 PM:"I am willing to pay higher prices for services and food if that is what it will take to make our community a safe place to live. We need to support the council members who want to improve our community and uphold our laws. Mayor Pfieler, if you don't take a strong stand against illegal immigration then you are helping our city turn into another Tijuana. Many of the illegals that come here from Tijuana are used to doing whatever they want to do. They drive without insurance or licenses, they blare loud music at all hours, they throw their trash in the streets, they let their kids run the streets. They don't see anything wrong with drinking and driving. They steal what they want. Talk to people who have lived or live in TJ and then decide if illegals are good for our community. I'm sure that you don't have to live in a neighborhood with them! It isn't about racism! It is about safety!"

talking about laws wrote on March 06, 2007 8:11 PM:"Its interesting how you say, "They are breaking the law, dont you understand?" But you wish the minuteman take the federal law into their own hands. Lets remove all the immigrants from Mexico. I have really dreamed of being a landscaper, cleaning chickens out, housekeeper, picking avocados. That is the dream of every poster here. And what a shame our unemployment rate is lower than California and also the nation. Whats everyone's problem in North County? I am not joining your hate club."

Syl wrote on March 06, 2007 8:30 PM:"Nobody hates Latinos. IS'S ILLEGAL ALIENS. IT'S PEOPLE WHO BREAK OUR LAWS AND FEEL ENTITLED. IT'S PEOPLE WHO ARE DESTROYING OUR SCHOOLS, HOSPITALS, AND PLANNED CITIES BECAUSE THEY HAVE NEVER PAID ANY TAXES AND THEY WERE NEVER PLANND ON BEING HERE BECAUSE THEY ILLEGALLY ENTERED THE COUNTRY. I guess you would not understand that concept, but I do because it affects my family and day to day living. And for you to imply Americans are racist, the Illegal Hispanic comes from the most racist countries in the world. I Los Angeles and certain parts of the San Fernando the Hispanic are systematically murdering blacks who are now displaced due to the overwhelming numbers of illegal Aliens. Now it is starting to get ugly in North County as more and more illegals arrive daily."

To Dump Lori Pfeiller wrote on March 07, 2007 12:32 AM:"You are right she did take an oath to Defend and Protect the Constitution which includes the 14th Amendment and she doing exactly that...I applaud her. Also she is only trying to protect our City from violent vigilantes who engage in illegal activities all the time. I hope to see them locked up soon for all the crimes they have committed. Mayor Pfeiller is only trying to protect the United States from some domestic enemies. Good for her and good for Escondido. She was re-elected in November so get used to four more years of some good and fair political practices. Good thing their is at least one level headed person serving our community."

John wrote on March 07, 2007 2:44 AM:"WOW! this is a novel article. Just think,the Escondido police actually enforcing the law, and working with Federal agencies.Different government agencies ACTUALLY working together,Its scarry. Ill believe this when I see it."

Mike America wrote on March 07, 2007 7:37 AM:"to; very upset....you're not a registered voter, are you?"

'BoutTime wrote on March 07, 2007 7:53 AM:"YES.....YES.....YESSSSSSSSS."

Godzilla wrote on March 07, 2007 8:13 AM:""Dangerous" wrote, "if a person is here illegally and they see a murder committed , they will have a strong reason not to call the police". What so we should just turn a blind eye to a very prevenlant criminal element in our community so that everyone can feel safe and comfortable? I would personally rather pay $10 a pound for tomatoes than let this type of insanity persist."

here's a thought wrote on March 07, 2007 8:36 AM:"Why don't the pro illegal supporters go protest in Mexico to change the laws there and the living conditions???? Maybe then we won't have so many illegals coming here. If your here illegally you are a criminal and you need to be sent back!!!"

I'm a Liberal, wrote on March 07, 2007 10:00 AM:"And I am against illegal aliens breaking into our Country. But Nick, Do you know who has for the last six years been responsible for the massive invasion of illegals? YES! it is Bush, Frist, McCain, Cheney, Rove, and other neocons. Bush actually wants open borders. "

Very Upset Too! wrote on March 07, 2007 10:02 AM:"How will each of you feel when the police start checking the immigration status of EVERYONE in the city with BROWN HAIR? We need the local police to focus on going after real CRIME, not people's immigration status. The police need the community to trust them and report CRIME. Otherwise, the illegals become easy targets for criminals. But who cares you say because they shouldn't be here to begin with???? I would be ashamed to be an American if that's how we all felt. The City budget is not unlimited and the police force is stretched already. The Feds should do their job (which we pay taxes for)! BTW, rather than annex So Cal to Mexico, maybe we should annex Mexico and open it up to investment. Then it might longer be a third world country and we will have access to cheap and plentiful oil. They need to clean up their government and take care of their people with decent jobs. Angry letters should be sent to the Mexican government, not the Mayor!"

Criminals wrote on March 07, 2007 11:02 AM:"To very upset; You should be the first to go!Your statement about how "you" wont be here to pick our fruits, makes me laugh. That I believe is a sacrafice all Americans are ready to make, trust me! My Country was built on immigrants, but they my dear came here legaly, looking for for a better life, "THE American Dream" They became educated, and gave back to our economy! This is all we are asking for. If you are HIDING something,like, maybe a criminal past,then I can understand why you wouldnt attempt entry through LEGAL IMMIGRATION! Why do you have to break the law,to get here? TELL US WHY?? "

Stop the NAU!
    wrote on March 07, 2007 11:26 AM:"Stop RINO Bush's Neocon North American Union, the primary root cause of illegal immigration. Search Stop SPP, Stop the NAU and the AMERO."

Skip wrote on March 07, 2007 12:07 PM:"If Escondido had an open door policy for illegal aliens such as what they have in Los Angeles, then in a few years the Illegals would outnumber the American Citizens. The gangs would be totally out of control and the city would look like Tijuana or worse (East L.A.). There are no shortages of Illegal Immigrants that want to come here for a better life, but how many more millions can we absorb. Millions! It is like no one posting here really has a concept of those numbers. I say again Millions! Is that what we want for our country?"

Bobby wrote on March 07, 2007 1:39 PM:"Americans can get all excited about border control and what this that or the other establishment candidate will do if elected, but we should face reality. Whether or not you like Hillary,Obama,Romney,Brownback,Giuliani,Edwards,et c.,you know in your deepest being that they will absolutely do NOTHING,about illegal immigration, outsourcing , insourcing, or massive legal immigration. All issues addressed by Congresman Tom Tancredo, from the moment he entered office. He has continuously put himself on the line for Americans interests. His whole campaign is about kicking the establishment in the ass, so that they might finally realize that American citizens are to be regarded, first, not people who have come here, uninvited,yesterday. Congressman Tom Tancredo, for President of the U.S.-2008-. Or,we can again have the best choice between two evils crap again."

Bren wrote on March 07, 2007 2:13 PM:"Arrest and deport the illegal invaders NOW!!! They are criminals!! This is a city that belongs to the US, it should not look like a city that belongs to Mexico. If the illegals don't like it.....Well, they can always leave!!"

Bobby wrote on March 07, 2007 2:33 PM:"One question to all you Americans blogging. One deadly serious question. Are you going to be left,sadly,and hopelessly, with the "best choice between two evils again", when election time comes around. Why? Support completely,without wavering, Congressman Tom Tancredo,-2008-for President, and shake the corrupt establisment politicians to the core. "

English wrote on March 07, 2007 3:57 PM:"Illegal is a verb, an action word, such as the CRIMINAL, (noun) names person place or thing, entered into the country ILLEGALLY against American laws. We only have CRIMINALS who came here ILLEGALLY. "

Lorrain wrote on March 07, 2007 4:09 PM:"Alot of the latino activists should go back across the border and DEMand action from the "other" country that they love so much more then the United States. "

Very Upset wrote on March 07, 2007 4:42 PM:"To all of you Latino Haters the City Council can make up all kind of ordinances, but they are just wasting our time and theirs. We are not going to just stand around and let them create new ways to hurt the Lts of this cooperation by such irresponsible statements as, "You need to leave the federal immigration laws to the federal government" only serves to hamper efforts to rid America of criminal illegal aliens. Federal law now permits cooperation among federal agencies and local law enforcement. Rounding up criminal illegal aliens and deporting them to their home countries will help moderate the social evil of cr"

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/03 ... 3_5_07.txt

Most Commented-On
    Stories This Week

Letters to the Editor - 3/2/2007 (91)
    Escondido gang members given notice (91)
    Activists gear up for immigration reform debate (85)
    Border patrol may work alongside Escondido police (77)
    Letters to the Editor - 3/7/2007 (62)
    Letters to the Editor - 3/6/2007 (5
    Letters to the Editor - 3/5/2007 (55)
    Letters to the Editor - 3/1/2007 (51)
    Letters to the Editor - 3/4/2007 (51)
    Prop. A is eminent domain in disguise (37)

http://www.nctimes.com/opinion/