Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Border Patrol Sector Chief Decrying Illegal Immigration Enfo

Judicial Watch Obtains Videotape of Border Patrol Sector Chief Decrying Illegal Immigration Enforcement

http://www.judicialwatch.org/judicial-w ... nforcement

(Washington, DC) -- Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, announced today that it recently uncovered through the Freedom of Information Act a videotape (and transcript) of an August 15, 2007 town hall meeting on illegal immigration held in Laredo, Texas. During the meeting, held at Texas A&M International University’s campus, US Border Patrol (USBP) Laredo Sector Chief Carlos X. Carrillo disclaimed the illegal immigration and narcotics enforcement missions of the USBP.

"The Border Patrol’s job is not to stop illegal immigrants . . . The Border Patrol’s job is not to stop narcotics . . . or contraband or narcotics . . . the Border Patrol’s mission is not to do any of those things . . . The Border Patrol’s job is not to stop criminals . . . The Border Patrol’s job is to stop terrorists and terrorist weapons from entering this country," Mr. Carrillo stated.

Mr. Carrillo’s interpretation of the mission of the U.S. Border Patrol is inconsistent with the official policy of Customs and Border Protection. In an agency brochure, entitled, "CPB: Securing America’s Borders," W. Ralph Basham, Commissioner of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) writes, "Denying entry to someone with terrorist ties, thwarting aggressive drug smugglers, establishing container security protocols around the world, using high-tech equipment to scan incoming vehicles, and inspecting incoming plants for dangerous pests are all part of the job…U.S. Customs and Border Protection secures America’s borders 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year. We never rest. We control access to the United States, keeping out the dangerous and illegal while welcoming legitimate visitors and commerce."

"What part of ‘Customs and Border Protection’ does Mr. Carrillo not understand?" asked Judicial Watch Director of Investigations and Research Chris Farrell, who has traveled extensively on the border and monitored U.S. Border Patrol operations first-hand. "Certainly no one would dispute the importance of stopping terrorists from crossing the border, but Border Patrol agents must not allow illegal aliens and drug smugglers to cross the border unimpeded. One has to wonder if Mr. Carrillo inadvertently exposed the true attitude of other top officials at Border Patrol."

Later in Chief Patrol Agent Carrillo’s speech he conceded that in the past 10 months (until August 2007) Laredo Sector agents had apprehended 51,000 illegal aliens (almost 10,000 of whom were criminal aliens) and seized over 62 tons of narcotics.
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

Judicial watch has the transcripts. These comments are taken out of context, and in this case the context does matter.

The primary mission is terrorism, but illegal immigration, and drugs are both related to terrorism and security.

The transcripts do not lead me to believe that he is saying they should not enforce illegal immigration.

At this point in time, perhaps their mission has shifted to terrorism - but that has not been true historically- it has been illegal entry. The interception of drugs of this magnitude is fairly new.

I would say, the Border Patrol's mission is to keep out ANYTHING or ANYONE that has not right to be here.

But how do you prevent terrorist from entering when you don't concern yourself with people entering illegally. How do they determine that they can let 300 illegals in in one night and not one of them is a terrorist?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is information which was posted here quite some time ago. Since that time, it has been shown over and over, both in articles and videos that he was guilty of making the comments.

There are some very good men/women in the BP who are doing a great job, would do better if they didn't have their hands tied.

We do have to admit, however, there must be some bad apples in the bunch. Just look at the BP agent that helped the drug dealer in the Ramos and Campean case.

I can't believe this man didn't have some personal connection - or worse, with this drug dealer - other than 'my MIL knew his MIL - but I didn't, etc.'
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He wasn't saying they don't do border patrol, he was pointing out that even though their job is terrorism they do other things. He was making a case for more agents because they are so overworked and overwhelmed.

These guys can't even get the training they are supposed to get. They don't get the same retirement benefits as other law enforcement. Maybe I am misreading the transcripts but that is the way I read them. Now, I did rush through them rather quick. I fully appreciate the work that Judicial Watch does, further they brought the video out into the publics eyes, with the transcripts. We have a right to know, and if nothing else, the Border Patrol Sector Chief should have stated what he was saying more clearly.

I was about ready to start a petition to fire the guy until I read the transcripts. Someone else read them and let me know if I read them right.

The fact is to say 'our job is terrorism - but we do illegal enforcement also' sounds so very strange. They cannot fight terrorism without fighting and enforcement illegal entry.

Yes, they are overworked, overwhelmed, undermanned, up against great odds with our own government not supporting them - but you cannot have a nation free from terrorism without strong enforcement of illegal entry.

You can't have a country free from smuggled drugs without enforcing illegal entry -