Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush immigration pointman urges lawmakers to keep bill intac

Bush immigration pointman urges lawmakers to keep bill intact
    06-06-2007, 17h23
    WASHINGTON (AFP)

US Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, an architect of a key immigration reform bill under scrutiny in Congress, seen here in May 2007, is urging lawmakers to avoid making changes that could tear the legislation apart.
    (AFP/Getty Images/File)

US Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, an architect of a key immigration reform bill under scrutiny in Congress, is urging lawmakers to avoid making changes that could tear the legislation apart.

In an interview with AFP, Gutierrez said he feared that amendments could "break" a fragile compromise that was reached between the White House and Republican and Democratic senators three weeks ago after intense negotiations.

"The biggest risk would be the introduction of amendments," Gutierrez said in the interview in Spanish.

The bill being debated in the Senate and endorsed by US President George W. Bush would create a merit-based point system for future immigrants, institute a low-wage temporary worker program and provide a path to citizenship for the 12 million illegal immigrants.

At the same time, it would boost border security, punish employers who hire illegal immigrants and attempt to wipe out a backlog of visa applications from those who have gone through legal immigration channels.

The immigration legislation has come under assault from Republicans who consider the bill an "amnesty" program for foreigners who broke the law to enter the United States.

But concerns have also been raised among Democrats who want to reorient the bill more towards family-based immigration, from its emphasis on merit-based applications.

One sign of how contentious immigration has become was its prominence late Tuesday at a debate of Republican presidential contenders, with only one candidate -- US Senator John McCain -- speaking up in support of the president's plan.

President George W. Bush has scolded critics of the bill, including members of his own Republican Party, and denied that the legislation offered an amnesty.

Gutierrez and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff are leading an intense campaign by the Bush administration to convince lawmakers to avoid offering bill-killing amendments.

The commerce secretary said he feared amendments could be rejected by the Republican and Democratic senators who drafted the bill and that the "coalition would break."

"For me this is a nightmare," said the highest-ranking Cuban-American in the Bush administration a year after another immigration reform bill died in the House of Representatives.

"I told all of those who are introducing amendments to be careful," he said, asking lawmakers to show "wiseness."

Gutierrez used his own personal experience to defend the bill. He arrived in the United States in 1960 with his parents, who fled Cuba after Fidel Castro and his guerrilla army overthrew dictator Fulgencio Batista.

He said he was very familiar with "the fight of the immigrants" and knew that the great majority want "to work and make a better life for their families."

But at the same time, he said, "as a US government official, I recognize the need to respect the laws."

"This has been the great debate in finding common ground" between the human aspect of immigration and the rule of law, he said. "I think we have found it."

His optimism that the legislation will win support has grown with favorable public opinion polls as the administration explains the bill's goals to Americans.

"At the beginning, there were very spontaneous reactions that in many cases were incorrect," he said. "As people learn what this text really contains, I think that they will feel more at ease."

"I also believe that people are realizing that if we do not do this now, if we do not pass this comprehensive reform, it will not happen next year because it is a presidential election year," he said.

Gutierrez noted that Bush wants to sign the bill into law by August, four months before the first Republican and Democratic parties' primary elections.

"This is the moment. It is a great, historic opportunity," he stressed.

"We cannot continue living with people who are living in fear, who have to hide, who are crossing the (US-Mexican) border at midnight, risking their lives," he said. "That is not a society that reflects American values."

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id ... ill_intact
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This guy is delirious as is his idiot boss. Does he really believe what he says??? Does he really think that after listening to him I'm going to say, "yep, you're right, I was wrong, I see it much clearer now".
    Well, Gutierrez, you're an idiot and you've only hardened my stance and I think your boss is a brainless fool.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

"We cannot continue living with people who are living in fear, who have to hide, who are crossing the (US-Mexican) border at midnight, risking their lives," he said. "That is not a society that reflects American values."
    Why is it always about what the illegals want and not want the American citizens want?
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!