Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush urges opening up legal immigration

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- With 6,000 National Guard troops deployed to Southwestern states, President Bush said Saturday he has fulfilled his pledge to help beef up border security and challenged Congress to give him legislation that will welcome more foreigners into the country.

Speaking in his weekly radio address, Bush said immigration law can only be successful if the get-tough border security to keep people from sneaking in is combined with opportunities for more immigrants to enter the country legally.

"By passing comprehensive immigration reform, we will uphold our laws, meet the needs of our economy and keep America what she has always been -- an open door to the future, a blessed and promised land, one nation under God," Bush said Saturday.

He recorded the remarks Friday from his ranch near Crawford, Texas, where he is on a 10-day vacation from the White House.

Bush wants to provide more temporary worker permits for foreigners willing to take low-wage jobs and allow illegal immigrants working in the United States for some time to become citizens. But Congress has been unable to agree on such legislation.

Conservatives in Bush's party have stood firm against his plans and say the U.S. should instead strengthen security along the border to keep illegal immigrants out.

In an attempt to appease them, Bush announced in May that he would send 6,000 National Guard troops to the border by August 1.

"The arrival of National Guard units has allowed the Border Patrol to move more agents into front-line positions, and this additional manpower is delivering results," Bush said in the radio message.

"With the support of the National Guard, Border Patrol agents have seized over 17,000 pounds of illegal drugs and caught more than 2,500 illegal immigrants since June 15th."

Bush didn't mention that only about half of the troops assigned to the four states bordering Mexico are on duty along the border. Many are still in training, the Guard said Monday.

Bush said, "Rational and comprehensive immigration reform must begin with border security, and we have more to do." He said he asked Congress to fund increases in manpower and technology, including high-tech fences, motion sensors, infrared cameras and unmanned aerial vehicles to prevent illegal crossings.

But he said immigration reform must include four other goals to be successful:

* A temporary worker program.

* More ways for employers to verify whether workers are in the country legally.

* A path to citizenship for illegal immigrants already working in the country.

* Tools to help immigrants learn English and otherwise assimilate.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/05/ ... index.html

But he said immigration reform must include four other goals to be successful:

* A temporary worker program.

* More ways for employers to verify whether workers are in the country legally.

* A path to citizenship for illegal immigrants already working in the country.

* Tools to help immigrants learn English and otherwise assimilate.
    Must include? Says who??? Immigration for Dummies says: fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

With 6,000 National Guard troops deployed to Southwestern states, President Bush said Saturday he has fulfilled his pledge to help beef up border security and challenged Congress to give him legislation that will welcome more foreigners into the country.
    He is a GD liar and is doing everything in his power to undermine our immigration system.

"With the support of the National Guard, Border Patrol agents have seized over 17,000 pounds of illegal drugs and caught more than 2,500 illegal immigrants since June 15th."
    Uh Huh, and how many illegals and # of drugs have gotten in? You make it sound like you really have done something.

So he not only wants to reward law breakers but also wants to flood our country with more "legal" immigrants. We need to not only stop illegal immigration but also take a hard look at just who are we letting into this country "legally". I agree with others who have said we need some sort of moratorium on immigration until we can get it all sorted out. Just because a politician or business says we need "workers" doesn't make it so. We are ruining this country all for the sake of a dollar.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

[Tools to help immigrants learn English and otherwise assimilate.

quote][/quote]

What, a club and threat they won't get their citizenship if they don't?

Otherwise.....why not stop putting everything in their language. Why not make it English only? Why not stop the bi-lingual crap?Why not start enforcing all the laws and stop letting them get away with all the crimes they do? Etc (too many to mention.)

Low wage jobs? Ya......I'd like to have one if they'd stop requiring me to speak a foreign language to get it!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We need to not only stop illegal immigration but also take a hard look at just who are we letting into this country "legally". I agree with others who have said we need some sort of moratorium on immigration until we can get it all sorted out. Just because a politician or business says we need "workers" doesn't make it so. We are ruining this country all for the sake of a dollar.
    There, my friend, is the plain truth in a nutshell. Shut down all immigration until the whole process gets cleaned up, and the "spoilers" are out of office. Then activate the sensible laws, and make sure the people in office understand we expect those laws to be followed.

If they need help, I'm sure the American people will be happy to give it to them.

This is ridiculous telling the American people this a temporary guest worker program that is actually a permanent citizen program. He is saying that they will work 3 years and then have to go home when there is nothing that says that they ever have to go home in these bills.

temporary guest worker program
    Temporary my booty. What part of temporary does Bush think we don't get? When I worked for a temp agency, I knew actually what temp meant. I guess none of us are suppose to know what temporary actually means.
    Work together for the benefit of all mankind

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust
    This is ridiculous telling the American people this a temporary guest worker program that is actually a permanent citizen program. He is saying that they will work 3 years and then have to go home when there is nothing that says that they ever have to go home in these bills.
    And the next question is:

HOW DOES HE PLAN ON MAKING THEM GO HOME???? Who's going to enforce THAT law??? The people who don't enforce the ones already on the books??? Yea, sure!!!!!!

The Shrub just figures that in 3 years, all of this will become the next President's problem. He won't have to live with the fallout because HEL'LL BE OUT OF OFFICE

And maybe, just maybe, in three years, we'll get used to it and forget to raise the devil???

MW
    The Shrub just figures that in 3 years, all of this will become the next President's problem. He won't have to live with the fallout because HEL'LL BE OUT OF OFFICE
    Don't underestimate that "Shrub", he can do an awful lot of damage in three years - just look at what he's done in the last five! President Bush knows no bounds when attempting to get what he wants. For example, let's look at some of his key cabinet appointees: Gonzales (grand-parents illegal Mexican immigrants) as the U.S. Attorney General, Guiterrez(Cuban immigrant - came to U.S. at age 6) as the Secretary of Commerce, DHS Chertoff (dual national with Israeli roots). Obviously he has appointed people that he feels are key in his battle to open the borders and legalize illegal immigrants. Each of these appointees strongly support his position in the legalization of millions of illegal immigrants. Actually, Gonzales has been with Bush since his Gov. of Texas days.

Trust me, President Bush fully expects to have his way on all matters pertaining to trade, globalization, and immigration before he leaves office. We, the American people, are the only thing standing in his way, and I'm not even sure of how well we're doing at that (so many non-transparent meetings and agreements going on routinely in secret and in back room meetings).

It has gotten to the point that I question his motives in absolutely everything he does. Even the recent increase in illegal immigrant raids, deportations, and his tougher stand on border security are motivated by his desire to appease the American people and Congress so he can better present his case for legalization of illegals and a guest worker program (have to look out for corporate America first, damn middle and lower class Americans). In football terms, he's decided to alter his method of trying to bully his way through the defensive line, he's now trying to take the ball around the end to reach the endzone!

Gosh, I can't believe I voted on this guy twice!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gosh, I can't believe I voted on this guy twice!
    Well, I voted for him once. So, no more beating ourselves up about that. We got conned - plain and simple.

That doesn't diminish who we are - but it sure does diminish who he is.

I completely agree with you. The man is a conniving jerk of the highest order.

But, look at the positive side - WE WOKE UP!!! At least some of us did If that hadn't happened, we probably all would be speaking spanish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast