People Alleging Hate Crimes In Park Come Forward

POSTED: 9:32 am PDT June 17, 2009
UPDATED: 2:11 pm PDT June 17, 2009

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- Safety officials say hate crimes are on the rise at Hart Park with the latest alleged attack happening this past weekend.

A wide range of racial slurs are reportedly being yelled throughout Hart Park by whites toward Hispanics. The county Parks and Recreation Department said racism is increasing at the park. It has taken three hate crime reports so far this summer. The most recent incident occurred this past weekend. Christopher Acosta said he was the target.

"Some guys just floated down the river and started yelling racial slurs at us and saying ‘This river belongs to Oildale," said Acosta.

Acosta said five white men came onto the riverbank and attacked him.

"They had a stick in their hand and tried to stab me and hold me down underneath the water. I thought I was going to hit my head on a rock and go unconscious," said Acosta.

"(My friend’s) mom was in the middle and they hit her a couple of times and hit him. I don't think thats right. They shouldn't have done that," said one witness by the name of Nathaniel Rios.

Park rangers said those men were arrested. Memorial Day weekend, several men were arrested on hate crime charges against a group of Hispanics. That same weekend a woman who only wants to be called “Bâ€