Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA: Sheriff: Alleged hit-and-run driver had baby daughter wi

Sheriff: Alleged hit-and-run driver had baby daughter with him

Feb 12, 2008

By: North County Times

VISTA ---- A man arrested last night for multiple hit-and-run crashes had no driver's license or identification and was driving with his one-year-old daughter in his sport-utility-vehicle during the spree of crashes and a chase that reached speeds near 100 mph, said Sgt. Cliston Hensley of the San Marcos Sheriff's Substation.

The man was booked into Vista Jail last night as "John Doe," as he refused to identify himself, Hensley said. He has since been identified as Luis Umberto Perez, 21, of San Marcos, Sheriff's Lt. Phil Brust said.

He faces two felony and four misdemeanor charges including drunken-driving in connection with the incident, Brust said, and is being held on approximately $130,800 bail. His initial appearance is scheduled for Friday.

The man's daughter was released to her mother, Hensley said.

The man was driving a white Ford Explorer, the California Highway Patrol said, and is suspected of being responsible for a string of about six hit-and-run crashes reported in San Marcos and Vista Monday night, Hensley said. Two were confirmed to have occurred in San Marcos, three were reported to have occurred on westbound Highway 78 and at least one is reported to have occurred in Vista, Hensley said.

The two confirmed crashes occurred about 6:45 p.m., Hensley said. One was near the intersection of South Rancho Santa Fe Road and Linda Vista Drive and caused major damage to the other vehicle, Sheriff's Sgt. Kelly Stuart said Monday night. No injuries were reported, she said. The other was at 120 South Rancho Santa Fe Road, she said, and caused minor damage and no injuries.

The man then got on westbound Highway 78 and is suspected to have hit three more vehicles, Hensley said, although no damages or injuries have been reported from those crashes. He then exited in Vista and was eventually stopped by California Highway Patrol officers near the intersection of Hibiscus and Sycamore Avenues, Stuart said.

Officers had been in pursuit of him during a chase that reached speeds close to 100 mph, Hensley said.

If you were in a car that sustained damage from a hit-and-run in Vista or San Marcos Monday night, you're encouraged to contact Sheriff's Deputy Steve Bentz at (760) 510-5212.

www.nctimes.com

~~
    Checked the jail records for San Diego:

Requested charge information for booking number: 8110583
    (Only active charges and arrests are shown.)

Arrest: 1
    Charge#: 1
    Bail Flag: Y
    Bail Amount:$25,000.00
    Description:EVADE POISREGARD SAFETY
    Code:VC
    Statute:2800.2(A) VC

Charge#: 2
    Bail Amount:$100,000.00
    Description:CHILD CRUELTY:POS INJ/DTH
    Code:PC
    Statute:273A(A) PC

Charge#: 3
    Bail Amount:$2,500.00
    DescriptionUI:ALCOHOL/DRUGS
    Statute:23152(A)/23152(B) VC

Charge#: 4
    Bail Amount:$1,000.00
    Description:HIT AND RUN:PROP DAMAGE
    Statute:20002(A) VC

Charge#: 5
    Description:HIT AND RUN:PROP DAMAGE
    Statute:20002(A) VC

Charge#: 6
    Description:RECKLESS DRIVING:HIGHWAY
    Statute:23103(A) VC

Charge#: 7
    Bail Amount:$320.00
    DescriptionRIVE W/O LICENSE
    Statute:12500(A) VC

Arrest: 2
    Charge#: 1
    Bail Flag:
    Bail Amount:$0.00
    Description:Rel Dt/Tm: Agency: ICE
    Code:
    Statute:HOLD
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Last summer on the highway ,three trucks of illegals(all white trucks working for construction,one at 7 in the morning had baby not in seat going to work with them) tryed to force me off the road because they got mad I cut one of them off or what ever in traffic.I called north carolina sheriff and highway patrol with licance plate and they said because they did not see it ,there was nothing I could do.They worked for slate installations inc in winston salem,nc.

It is maddening. Not one media outlet will print that the suspect is probably an Illegal Alien. At best I can play word games on the North County Times Blog.

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Concerned
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 1:27 AM:
    I saw the end of this pursuit. I'm confused with the article. I only saw the Highway Patrol chasing this vehicle. When the chase was over, and the Highway Patrol put this guy in handcuffs, the sheriff late showed up. They took this guy from the CHP and took him to jail.

Greg in Oceanside
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 3:11 AM:
    NCT, who was this[ alleged] menace to society? Nonetheless, let's hope the Sheriffs Dept DOES NOT release this person from jail and takes the driving privileges away forever.

No Name Printed Again.
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 5:15 AM:
    Can we assume who or what he or she is?

Dude
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 6:16 AM:
    And the man's name is???????

The Man with No name
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 6:22 AM:
    strikes again! Hey did you know the Sheriff's department has a web site with who's in jail?

Skip
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 8:22 AM:
    I am still waiting for the name of the suspect who rear ended the Sheriff;s Deputey in Bonsall. Not a word in today's paper even though other news outlets say alcohol may have been a factor. The man with no name gets around a lot lately.

Skip
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 11:13 AM:
    RE : His daughter was apparently not injured and was released to her mother, he said.>>> This story does not make sense. If the man was booked as "John Doe", and yet they know who the child's mother was (his wife?) then why didn't they ask her. Or was it "Juan Doe" ? Only speculation here........

Wait a minute
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 11:27 AM:
    They release the daughter to the mother, but she won't tell them his name? How do they even know the two are related? Hold the woman for obstructing justice!

Uh, hello
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 11:42 AM:
    He was clearly idenitifed in the article as Luis Umberto Perez, 21 of San Marcos. Maybe you all should learn how to read instead of just jumping to the throats of the paper!!

PG
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 11:45 AM:
    His name was printed as Luis Umberto Perez, 21. Did another article appear without his name because I see it in BLACK and WHITE in the article above.

I can read
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 11:58 AM:
    "The man was booked into Vista Jail last night as "John Doe," as he refused to identify himself, Hensley said. He has since been identified as Luis Umberto Perez, 21, of San Marcos, Sheriff's Lt. Phil Brust said"

Do you really think assuming you know it all makes it so.

To Hello and PG
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 12:00 PM:
    as a matter of fact it did appear without a name the article has been updated.

Skip
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 12:01 PM:
    Hey you are right. his name is posted in the story after all. Silly me I must have missed it. I was right about one thing though, his name does end in a "Z". LOL

To: Uh, hello & PG @ 1142
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 12:09 PM:
    Last modified Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:21 AM PST

Ray
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 12:14 PM:
    The name was not in the orignal story, the NCT added it ...

MVet
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 12:23 PM:
    GEEEEE .......... I wonder why the man had no driver's license? More drivers’ license checkpoints would help reduces situations like this. Maybe in not all cities, but definitely in cities like Vista, San Marcos, Bonsall, and Escondido.

b
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 1:55 PM:
    "Luis Umberto Perez, arrested last night for multiple hit-and-run crashes, had no driver's license or identification and was driving with his one-year-old daughter in his sport-utility-vehicle during the spree of crashes and a chase that reached speeds near 100 mph. He faces two felony and four misdemeanor charges including drunken-driving in connection with the incident, and is suspected of being responsible for a string of about six hit-and-run crashes reported in San Marcos and Vista Monday night."

This type of stuff seems to be happening a lot lately; does anyone have any good ideas?

so true MVet
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 1:59 PM:
    I agree 100% but would'nt that be " profiling" ? All this "correctness" has ruined our country. The scum have more rights than the citizens!

Skip
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 2:44 PM:
    The answer is obvious, but the NCT has yet to print it, or let it be posted. Just check out the list of charges against the suspect on the San Diego Sheriff's webpage.

Hey skip
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 4:27 PM:
    What? Only hispanics drink and drive? I'm doing a dui program and most of the clients are white.

No Bleeding Heart
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 5:42 PM:
    So where are the bleeding hearts that thought the 23 year old alcoholic cocktail waitress killer single mother drunk driving with her 2 year old should be let off easy? Went back to check the archives, but the article isn't to be found. What a bunch of pathetic whiners. Drunk drivers should be dealt with severally, no slap on the hands. I can�t wait for some judge to... to lock up a Britney Spears or Paris Hilton for 30 years to life for a similar offense. That my fellow Americans, will be a glorious day.

Hint Hint
    [-] wrote on Feb 12, 2008 5:43 PM:
    No Not That He is Hispanic ......no driver's license or identification

Hey, we can all read...wrote on Feb 12, 2008 10:15 PM:
    NCT did this a week or so ago...they posted an article initially without the name of a deceased homeless person, then posted the article again - obviously after they actually learned the person's name. They wanted to get the story up as quickly as possible - who cares about names, right? They do this without any notification and make those of us who read the article first look like idiots because we took issue with the lack of a name of an innocent deceased homeless man, or in this case a criminal that we all deserve to know the identity of. We can all read. NCT just decides to post information before having all the facts and then lets their readers take the hit afterwards. Nice way to stir up the pot, NCT. Excellent job of spurring the once respected profession of journalism and sensationalizing instead of reporting the facts. Oh, and I've saved this comment to resend in the event it isn't posted for some reason - you know, just in case.

Dude!
    wrote on Feb 13, 2008 6:18 AM:
    Skip, you're killing me! His name ends in a 'Z'. We're on the same page buddy! When this article was first posted with no identification of the the driver, I KNEW the 'Z' would be there eventually. Hmmm...why was I so confident of that? Is it possible that I've read too many articles just like this one? Is it possible that the facts just support my reasoning? Naw! I couldn't be...could it?

Man With No Name
    wrote on Feb 13, 2008 6:28 AM:
    I can explain why the original version of this story omitted the name-ending-with-Z of the alleged driver, maybe Edward Sifuentes filed the first version.

Oh please Dude!wrote on Feb 13, 2008 7:58 AM:
    You people are so ignorant. You guys just can't wait for any chance to spill out your prejudice. Come out in broad daylight. Quit hiding behind the keyboard!

Nick wrote on Feb 13, 2008 8:55 AM:
    To Ph Please Dude: It's hard to argue eith the facts, isn't it? Tell you what, why don't you check out the SD Sheriff's Website and take a look at the most wanted list, and then we will see who is ignorant. Head on over the the LA County Sheriff's website and take a look at their most wanted list, and then keep spoting off. Head on over the the LA Times Website and check out their Homicide Blog. Seems to me your the one who is prejudiced and ignorant. Poeple like you reinforce it every day!

Merileewrote on Feb 13, 2008 9:10 AM:
    Alcoholism and drug addiction are a disease. There are solutions (to prevent needless tragedies), for which we are all responsible.

1. We can stop glorifying the use of alcohol and drugs. Much like the campaign to lower cigarette use, we can ban television and radio ads for alcohol and drugs. Alcoholic beverage and drug manufacturers spend millions preparing ads which are designed to make a seductive appeal to our children.

2. We can make a deal with our children - I won't drink, if you won't drink. When children younger than the age of 18 begin drinking, their brain development stops. It is also statistically much more likely that drinking will continue when alcohol is used by teens.

3. We can assess stiff taxes on alcoholic beverages in order to fund additional preventive measures (such as the highly effective MADD program, police task forces specifically designated to target DUI drivers, and alcoholism and drug addiction treatment programs).

4. We can make a personal choice to never, ever get behind the wheel of a car if we have had any alcoholic beverages or drugs which would possibly impair our ability.

5. We can educate ourselves about alcoholism and drug addiction, bearing in mind the cost we share in ruined lives, shattered families and the passing on of this disease from one generation to the next.

6. We can inform our elected representatives that we won't support those who take large contributions from alcoholic beverage companies and prescription drug companies.

The question is, when will Americans reach a level of outrage that will foster change?

How many readers are willing to adopt any of these suggestions?

To Dude! wrote on Feb 13, 2008 9:31 AM:
    Speaking of names, I am still waiting for the name of the suspect who rear- ended the sheriff's deputy in Bonsall. Absolutely no follow-uo on that story yet. We do not even know how the deputy is recovering.

Alleged? wrote on Feb 13, 2008 9:32 AM:
    You either have an alleged ding in your truck from hit and run accidents or you don't.

Karl wrote on Feb 13, 2008 9:44 AM:

To "b wrote on Feb 12, 2008 1:55 PM:" I have an idea. Put up license check stops in every city every night.

The ONLY solution wrote on Feb 13, 2008 11:44 AM:
    is to lock them up if they are Citizens and DEPORT them if they are not.

Concerned-1 wrote on Feb 13, 2008 12:27 PM:
    I don't care if this guy is black, white, brown or pink, this was a totally irresponsible act. Very bad.

John wrote on Feb 13, 2008 1:05 PM:
    As a counselor in a DUI program, it remains so obscenely obvious that the SOURCE TO SUE in all this is: a.) the DMV (assuming this idiot has a license!), and b.) whomever the idiot was that let him use the vehicle he committed the crimes with! The solution to DUI in CA is KEEP DRUNKS AWAY FROM MOTOR VEHICLES! PERIOD! Why is this so hard for legislators, MADD, etc. to figure out?

Joe wrote on Feb 13, 2008 3:27 PM:
    The main reason we have drunk-drivers with multiple DUI convictions careening around all over the place is this: Our courts and legislators, for the most part, consider a driver's license to be a right, and not a privilege.

Obviously, it should be the other way around.

Skip wrote on Feb 13, 2008 7:05 PM:
    I think that when this story said: "the man had no driver's license or identification", what they meant was, that the man was an unlicensed driver and that he had no identification on him. After looking up the charges at the San Diego Sheriff's website, that is the only conclusion I can come to.

Speaking of the 78 wrote on Feb 13, 2008 7:32 PM:
    I went to Fry's in San Marcos tonight so I got that rare chance to drive on the 78 Freeway. What a nightmare of a freeway that is. It seems like they designed that freeway to induce road rage or something. It is too bad they put all of that money into the Sprinter when what the city really needs is to fix the 78 Freeway by adding at least two lanes in each direction. r/Skip

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/02 ... _11_08.txt

Drunk Dad Endangers Child in High Speed Chase

Last Update: 2/15 6:51 pm

A 21-year-old suspected illegal immigrant and with five prior DUI convictions pleaded not guilty Friday to felony DUI and child abuse and a slew of other charges for allegedly leading authorities on a high-speed chase with his year-old daughter in the backseat and crashing into six other vehicles.

Luis Gomez, also known as Luis Umberto Perez, of San Marcos, was arrested Monday night at Hibiscus and Sycamore avenues in Vista.

During a pursuit that reached speeds of more than 100 mph, Gomez slammed into two vehicles in San Marcos, three on Highway 78 and one in Vista, said Sgt. Cliston Hensley of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

No one was injured in any of the crashes.

Gomez also is charged with felony counts of having a blood-alcohol level over the state limit of .08 percent and evading police with reckless driving, along with two misdemeanor counts of hit-and-run and one count each of reckless driving, driving with a suspended license and being an unlicensed driver.

Judge Joe Littlejohn scheduled a preliminary hearing for March 3 and set bail at $130,820, but Gomez is also being held on an immigration hold.

www.fox6.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Skip
    [-] wrote on Feb 15, 2008 10:12 AM:
    The suspects first court appearence will be today. I would like to see a follow-up story with the list of charges. I still say the suspects immigration status is a very important factor in this story.

Rob
    [-] wrote on Feb 15, 2008 8:04 PM:
    @Gary
    I couldn't agree with you more: mention the word 'Illegal' and you get censored.

@Everyone Else:
    Wake up and smell the Invasion!

Gary in Murrieta
    [-] wrote on Feb 16, 2008 9:49 PM:
    A 21-year-old suspected ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT and with FIVE prior DUI CONVICTIONS pleaded not guilty Friday to felony DUI and child abuse and a slew of other charges for allegedly leading authorities on a high-speed chase with his year-old daughter in the backseat and crashing into six other vehicles. SOURCE: TV FOX 6 San Diego

Skip
    [-] wrote on Feb 16, 2008 10:34 PM:
    Now do you see the similarities with the Amy Kortlang story or the Alex Munoz story.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/02 ... _11_08.txt

NORTH COUNTY TIMES FOLLOW-UP STORY

PLEASE ADD YOU COMMENT TO THIR WEBPAGE AND BLAST THEM FOR THIS

Man charged in alleged drunken chase with daughter in car

By: North County Times wire services

VISTA ---- A 21-year-old man with five driving under the influence convictions pleaded not guilty Friday to child abuse and other charges for allegedly leading authorities on a drunken high-speed chase with his 1-year-old daughter in the backseat.

Luis Gomez, jailed under the name Luis Umberto Perez, was arrested Monday night at Hibiscus and Sycamore avenues in Vista.

The San Marcos resident is also suspected of crashing into six other vehicles during the chase.

During a pursuit that reached speeds of more than 100 mph, Gomez slammed into two vehicles in San Marcos, three on Highway 78 and one in Vista, said Sgt. Cliston Hensley of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

No one was injured in any of the crashes.

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/02 ... _15_08.txt

----- Forwarded Message ----
    To: "mobilebay53@yahoo.com" <mobilebay53@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:26:17 PM
    Subject: Re: NCT blog

Your latest post poses the question as to why you're posts are not getting approved. I can't account for every post you've written lately, but here's a few situations we've been running into on the blog.

We believe as a newspaper we have to protect the rights of the people we write stories about. Even if they are arrested or suspects in a crime they are not guilty. Some bloggers write posts that essentially convict people before they've even seen a judge. We have no right to convict people of crimes and we will not allow bloggers to.

You've written blogs regarding the man who is SUSPECTED of DUI and ALLEGEDLY had his daughter in the car. If you know for certain that he is an illegal alien feel free to call the reporter (whose number is at the end of the story) and let them know how you know this is true. I'm not at liberty to add information to the stories. Reporters and Editors do. If you feel that we should print whenever a suspect in a crime is an illegal alien, you should either write a letter to the editor or speak to an editor. The reporter who wrote the story can let you know who their editor is. I have no authority to make such a decision.

We've had a trend lately that anytime someone with a Latino last name is arrested multiple bloggers say the suspect is an illegal immigrant. Every time a car crashes, a store gets robbed, graffiti shows up somewhere or there's a random fight, bloggers say they're illegal immigrants. We have no idea if it's true and those blogs are deleted.
    I think you're smart enough to know why you're posts are deleted. You're objections need to be directed to someone higher up.