http://www.valleystar.com/letters_more. ... 729_0_27_0

CAFTA will hurt Valley’s farmers

Editor:

Congressman Ruben Hinojosa has served us very well in the Valley. As a farmer here, I appreciate his hard work and his dedication to our area. His job is difficult and demanding and I know the issues he faces are complex.

I urge him to fully consider the effects of the Central American Free Trade Agreement on local farmers. While the effect on local sugar growers will be devastating, CAFTA will hurt other farmers, too.

It’s not just the individual farmers who will suffer. Sugar growers, in particular, provide local jobs for more than 1,000 workers. When the farmer suffers, the workers he employs suffer, as do their dependents.

Congressman, I know you are studying this important issue carefully. I also know you understand the difference between CAFTA and its predecessor, NAFTA. CAFTA has no positive impact for South Texas. The benefits to the Valley of increased trade locally with Mexico through NAFTA will not be seen with CAFTA.

I appreciate your service and the complex task at hand. In the end, please vote "no" on this very flawed trade deal that will hurt Valley farmers and those who depend upon us for food and jobs.

Leonard Simmons
Harlingen