Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California Senate leader: Tear up contracts with Arizona

California Senate leader: Tear up contracts with Arizona over immigration law
    By Denis C. Theriault

Posted: 04/27/2010 06:19:18 PM PDT
    Updated: 04/27/2010 08:11:31 PM PDT

SACRAMENTO — How's this for border insecurity?

In another swipe at Arizona and its strict new anti-immigration rules, California Senate leader Darrell Steinberg on Tuesday asked Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to "deliver an unequivocal message" of disgust by tearing up the state's contracts with Arizona businesses and government agencies.

Arizona's new law, which allows police to demand identification from anyone reasonably believed to be an undocumented immigrant, has spawned a maelstrom of emotions since its approval last week — from quiet applause from those who support the crackdown to protests and boycott shouts, including San Francisco's move Tuesday to ban city workers from traveling to the state on official business.

Steinberg, in a withering letter to the governor, called the new rules "unconscionable" and a recipe for "racial profiling." Noting energy agreements with Arizona as well as deals to send the state California's overflow prisoners, he urged Schwarzenegger to take action.

"The state of California should not be using taxpayer dollars to support such a policy," the Sacramento Democrat wrote.

The move may largely wind up symbolic. Severing many of the contracts may not be legally possible, although Steinberg also has called for a ban on new contracts.

In a quick compilation provided Tuesday, the Department of General Services found deals with 73 Arizona entities worth $10.3 million. But officials said that doesn't include all contracts, including those held by Caltrans, state universities or the prison system, so the real number may be much larger. The state has a $700 million contract with a private prison firm that houses California inmates in several out-of-state prisons, including three in Arizona.

Arizona lawmakers, hunkered down to wrap up their work this season, didn't return messages seeking comment about Steinberg's threat.

Schwarzenegger's office says it will explore Steinberg's idea — but not if it makes California's own money problems worse. Schwarzenegger, who doesn't support the Arizona law, would rather the federal government take action. More important, he said, he doesn't want any of California's prisoners to come home.

"I don't want to get them back," he said. "I want to send more."

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-gov ... i_14971084

Steinberg

Steinberg is a loser. Throw him out for being Subversive and supporting law breakers...

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    BOYCOTT CALIFORNIA ...No product of yours; thats produced in your state will enter my home EVER AGAIN ...

WHO's NEXT ... Step Right Up and Feel the Rath of my wallet
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Then I think Arizona Public Service should stop giving them power from the Palo Verde Nuclear plant here in AZ. Lets shut Calif off.

...and we wonder why California is going down the toilet...with spineless sell outs like Shwarzenegger and Steinberg in charge, we will NEVER be able to turn this state around and back into the glorious entity it once was...they've basically handed California over on a silver platter to the Mexican drug cartels who call the shots in too many California towns and cities.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    ~Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-196568.html
    L.A. Councilwoman Hahn calls for boycott of Arizona

With this Arizona law the drug runners will start bringing their loads in throught CA tunnels or in subs, crime here is going to get worse.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Isn't California still paying their bills with IOU's?