Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Candidate Switched from Latin Kings to Vice Lords

Local police don't ignore East Chicago, Gary slayings
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 12:19 AM CDT
    Post a Comment | Email this story | Print this story

BY JOE CARLSON
    jcarlson@nwitimes.com

Suspected street gang violence sent several bodies to Indiana morgues last week, and some city leaders began to wonder if the deadly stint would set a trend for the entire summer.

All told, seven people were killed by gunfire in Gary and East Chicago last week, a Lake County Coroner's Office spokesman said.

"I hope it's not a prelude, but it looks like it might be. That's why we're trying to get ahead of the problem now," Gary Police Deputy Chief Tom Papadakis said. "It's looking like it's going to be a long, hot summer."

In East Chicago last Monday, 7-year-old Angel Silvas was shot in the head and killed during a gun battle in a neighborhood long said to be controlled by the Latin Kings.

Police and neighbors say the boy's father, Michael Silvas Jr. -- who was a City Council candidate on Tuesday's ballot -- was a former Latin King who had recently become a Vice Lord.
    Silvas was charged Friday with six gun-related felonies related to the shooting.

While difficult to tally which deaths were gang-related, officials on both sides of the state line are not waiting for explanations to take preventive action.

In Indiana, Gary police have formed a special interdiction unit this week to combat gun- and gang-related crimes, while Hammond officials appropriated $50,000 for enhanced after-school police patrols in areas with known gang presence. In Illinois, Lansing and Calumet City are in the process of joining Gary and several other area cities that have joined with the Chicago Police Department's Fourth District to form a new group called the Illiana Regional Gang Taskforce.

"I think when communities want to try to ignore activity that is happening in their community, or don't get aggressive, then they are really putting the community at risk," Lansing Police Lt. Pete Grutzius said. "It becomes a climate of tolerance, and I think that tolerance breeds more problems ultimately."

Those problems include drug dealing, homicides, and for some law-abiding residents, a general uneasiness, said Grutzius, who is all too aware that gangs don't stop at the state line.

Chicago Police Tactical Lt. Maurice Richards, who is helping organize the new task force, said the group intends to fight the gang problem by sharing "intelligence" between departments and thinking regionally.

With time as an officer in narcotic and gang task forces in his 21 years career, Calumet City police Investigator Marco Glumac has seen first hand how violence in one area can ripple to another.

"Whether with vehicles or computers, we know that a lot of these different groups are intermingled between towns, Glumac said. "They float between each particular town, and a lot of the different gangs are structured differently. With that structure comes a lot of movement.

"When you are on the run -- whether the police are chasing you, or other gang members -- you have to be mobile."

Officials in Hammond, East Chicago, Gary, Lake County and the FBI have long said the decision to tear down Chicago's crime-ridden Robert Taylor and Cabrini Green high-rises has scattered more instances of crime into Lake County and the South Suburbs.

"With a lot of this migration, you get problems. They used to be in downtown Chicago. Now they're in downtown Hammond," said Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott. "We know about that, and we're doing everything we can to deal with it."

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2007/0 ... 7f7f4e.txt
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How does an active gang member become a city council candidate? Have these people totally lost their minds?
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

When you look at the corruption in the White House, its not hard to figure out how corruption blossoms into power from the bottom to the top in our government. The only difference between street gangs and Chicago politicians is the ones in office wear suits and ties. Water seeks its own level.

Hey who knows if he was not arrested he may have been elected.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith1338
    Hey who knows if he was not arrested he may have been elected.
    Which is even scarier. It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't gang members in office there already. This is a community that is primarily hispanic and already being controlled by gangs. After the brazen gunning down of his son I'm sure the residents are afraid to talk.

I thought once in a gang, it was for life. I never heard of switching.

I live near here and hadn't heard of this story.

Oh Illinois, oh Illinois...

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Chicago meet Los Angeles, again you reap what you sow!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

sosadforus wrote:
    Chicago meet Los Angeles, again you reap what you sow!!
    How true, how so very, very true.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

They let areas of the city thrive under gang control, there are parts that us suburbanites know better than to even venture in to. My husband used to drive a delivery van and had to go to the south side and told his boss never again. They stood around and stared him down, making comments. I am not sure why the drugs and gangs can't be cleaned up. Is it because there's no money for more officers? Perhaps they need to rethink their priorities.