Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Cape Cod Town targets businesses hiring illegal immigrants

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=50878

Town targets businesses
    hiring illegal immigrants
    Cape Cod council approves $1,000 fine,
    revocation of license for repeat offenders

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: July 1, 2006
    7:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Forget the New England charm, forget the busy summer tourist season that fuels the local economy – a Cape Cod town council has declared its community is "not a sanctuary for illegal aliens" and has unanimously passed a bylaw to fine businesses $1,000 that employ undocumented workers and to revoke their licenses if they do it repeatedly.

The Sandwich, Mass., Board of Selectmen voted 5-to-0 Thursday evening to attempt to control the influx of illegal immigrants by penalizing the employers who hire them.

"It is very clear that our country is now in the midst of one of the greatest threats to its existence in our history," Selectman Douglas Dexter, who proposed the order, said. "There are millions of criminal aliens invading our cities and towns and destroying the social services and legal systems of our communities."

Sandwich is a seaside community of 23,000 residents located in the northwest corner of Cape Cod. Incorporated in 1639, it's is the oldest town on Cape Cod and one of the oldest towns in the U.S., settled by European immigrants nearly 150 years before the American Revolution.

The proposed bylaw will not take effect until a vote by town meeting, which is expected to be held this fall.

Of the 14,000 registered voters in Sandwich, 3,531 are Democrats and 3,138 are Republicans. All five elected selectmen are registered Republicans

Dexter said his proposal wasn't motivated by specific concerns in Sandwich, but, rather, frustration with the federal government's failure to deal with illegal immigration and enforce existing laws.

"We have politicians who have turned to mush," he said.

A portion of Dexter's proposal that would have declared English the official language of Sandwich was rejected by his fellow selectmen who were concerned it might offend some of the town's foreign visitors.

Despite the unanimous support for the measure, several of the selectmen voting in the affirmative expressed concern about the bylaw's legality and the town's ability to enforce it.

According to Sandwich's town administrator, Dexter's proposal was submitted to the town attorney but has not yet been fully reviewed.

Terence Burke, a spokesman for State Attorney General Tom Reilly told the Cape Cod Times he could not comment on the bylaw's legality, but that "the Attorney General believes the flow of illegal immigrants into our country and the failure of the Bush administration to enforce our immigration laws is a significant national problem that requires a broad national solution. This problem shouldn't be solved state by state, city by city or town by town."

Dr. Jacqueline Fields, the Sandwich representative to the Barnstable County's Human Rights Commission, said she had not known of the proposed bylaw, but criticized "the unfortunate use of language" by Dexter and other board members. "We need to use language that is less inflammatory and less derogatory," she said.

Dexter is undaunted and unapologetic.

"What part of illegal don't they understand? When they come over the border they are illegal," he said "I don't intend to go hunting for illegal aliens, but we need to take a stand. Most good laws act as a deterrent, rather than a punishment."

Wendy Northcross, president of the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce, expressed concern over the measure, noting that Cape Cod's tourist economy depends heavily on immigrants on temporary visas, particularly during the summer months when the workforce swells from 100,000 to 125,000. "The whole reason the country is involved in this debate is because immigrants are doing the jobs that Americans don't want to do," she said.

Dexter is quick to point out that the bylaw only targets those hired without valid visas or work permits. "I said legal immigrants are welcome – l-e-g-a-l with a capital L," he said.

Federal law requires employers to document employees' citizenship with an I-9 form. As WorldNetDaily has reported, the federal program in existence for the past nine years permits employers to use the Internet to instantly verify prospective hires' legal eligibility to work in the U.S., but is used by less that 1/10 of 1 percent of the nation's companies because it is voluntary, under-publicized and puts its users at a competitive disadvantage to firms who continue to hire illegal workers.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Just saw this on wnd....isn't this a rich area?

If it is, I'm so glad to be reading this! Rich people are satisfied with cheap labor, but not wanting "them" to be living next door to them..!

I hope "they" move into all sorts of "rich" neighborhoods, then maybe they will actually get off their butts and do something about this!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

What was not mentioned in this article is the fact that these seasonal workers that come to work for the tourist season do not go back. The illegal aliens numbers on Cape Cod are rising. There is a wave that starts at the bridge and is making its way out the long arm of Cape Cod. Many towns on Cape Cod which is mostly comprised of elderly year round residents is experiencing a higher crime rate and the burden of social services due to illegal aliens. Many towns that were once beautiful are now hellholes like Falmouth and Hyannis due to illegal aliens overstaying their visas. My mom sold her house on Cape Cod 2 years ago and I was glad she did as I saw the ever changing face of year round residents was changing and had serious concerns that living alone she would be a victim of crime, not a question of if but when. I was concerned for her safety. Many more people in stores etc that do not speak english and many more crimes being committed due to the increase of illegal aliens which is obvious.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thank you for your support.

One phrase I hear from the illegal alien apologists is "compassion". Well, how about some compassion for the victims of these criminal aliens. Assaults, murder, robbery, massive identity theft, etc, etc, etc,.

Because our local press left out much of the introduction and motion, I have attached my original introductory comments and the motion as passed on Thursday night.

Best regards,

Doug Dexter
    Sandwich, BOS

I just got this emal from Dexter....obviously all of his statements were left out of the paper....but I could not open up the attachment he sent.

Are you out there supporting Dexter? Hope so.
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Wendy Northcross, president of the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce, expressed concern over the measure, noting that Cape Cod's tourist economy depends heavily on immigrants on temporary visas, particularly during the summer months when the workforce swells from 100,000 to 125,000. "The whole reason the country is involved in this debate is because immigrants are doing the jobs that Americans don't want to do," she said.
    First off she left out illegal and she must not have gotten the memo that the pro-illegal crowd has stopped using the "doing jobs that Americans don't want to do" line.

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith1338
    What was not mentioned in this article is the fact that these seasonal workers that come to work for the tourist season do not go back. The illegal aliens numbers on Cape Cod are rising. There is a wave that starts at the bridge and is making its way out the long arm of Cape Cod. Many towns on Cape Cod which is mostly comprised of elderly year round residents is experiencing a higher crime rate and the burden of social services due to illegal aliens. Many towns that were once beautiful are now hellholes like Falmouth and Hyannis due to illegal aliens overstaying their visas. My mom sold her house on Cape Cod 2 years ago and I was glad she did as I saw the ever changing face of year round residents was changing and had serious concerns that living alone she would be a victim of crime, not a question of if but when. I was concerned for her safety. Many more people in stores etc that do not speak english and many more crimes being committed due to the increase of illegal aliens which is obvious.
    ISMITH...this has made me so sad. I spent a good part of my early childhood summers on the Cape with only wonderful memories of the beautiful, quaint area, blueberries, LOL and peaceful, safe surroundings.

So very sad
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

2nd, I too had spent many summers on Cape Cod and they are some of my fondest memories. Never worried about crime and everyone spoke english now most assuredly those days are gone and the face of Cape Cod is changed forever. It is sad Even the businesses on Cape Cod do not support its citizens as they want the illegals to work for them for short money and no benefits. They do not care that they stay illegally and continue to wreak havoc and increase crime on the Cape. I do feel bad for the elderly of which there are many down there and retired. How can they defend themselves, many are selling their homes.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....

"The whole reason the country is involved in this debate is because immigrants are doing the jobs that Americans don't want to do."

This statement drives me nuts. Here is why, when I was in high school (going back about 13 years) all the part time jobs and summer jobs were done by high school and college students. Sure the pay was low but my parents made both me and my sister get part time jobs when we were in high school to teach us things in life were not free, to teach responsibility, and to teach us about independence and self reliance. Obviously if our grades were slipping we had to quit our jobs which meant no extra money for CDs, movie money, etc.

There was never a problem with finding kids to work at the grocery stores, be baggers, work in retail, work at amusement parks, at McDonalds, etc. All the sudden this is one of the main focuses of the debate. I know their are other jobs in agriculture, janitorial work, etc. that are more likely to be in the debate than those mentioned above but my point is if parents pushed their kids into working part time instead of hanging out on street corners, loafing around all summer and still getting money without earning it from their parents maybe this debate would fizzle as it was not really an issue in my area of the U.S. back then. Today I on TV all these teens see these shows where life is one big party and the parents freely flow the money to fund these kids irresponsible behavior. (Shows that come to mind are those MTV shows Sweet Sixteen, Malibu something or rather, etc.)

Hope this made sense. Sometimes I have a hardtime getting my thoughts across clearly via the web.
    "What part of illegal don't you understand?"

Terence Burke, a spokesman for State Attorney General Tom Reilly told the Cape Cod Times he could not comment on the bylaw's legality, but that "the Attorney General believes the flow of illegal immigrants into our country and the failure of the Bush administration to enforce our immigration laws is a significant national problem that requires a broad national solution. This problem shouldn't be solved state by state, city by city or town by town."
    I think that at this point the problem should be solved state by state, city by city, or town by town. It's become the only way we can stand our ground against illegals. The more this happens, the stronger the message that we refuse to abandon our way of life.

pandabear - you are right as far as teenagers being the ones who used to do these jobs. Teenagers would still be doing these jobs but they cannot get them. I am 37 but I have 3 sisters and 1 brother who are considerably younger than I. They are 18, 20, 21, and 23. They have jobs now but when they were 16 and 17, the age when you first start looking for that first job for a little extra money, they had a very hard time finding jobs, they would just not get hired and I know a lot of kids like that.

There are still responsible teenagers and young adults out there that know life is not one big party but they cannot find jobs. I have heard the same story from many parents of teenagers and young adults for that matter. It is sad but true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast