Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Carlos Gutierrez Says Immigrants Needed to Fill U.S. Jobs

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... in_america

Gutierrez Says Immigrants Needed to Fill U.S. Jobs (Update1)
    July 12 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez said the U.S. needs immigrants to meet the employment needs of a growing economy and urged Congress to approve immigration legislation that includes a temporary-worker program.

Gutierrez said there were 4.1 million U.S. job openings in May, many in the hospitality industry, that immigrants are needed to fill because Americans can't or won't do that work.

``We have jobs today that either American citizens aren't willing to do or aren't able to do,'' Gutierrez, an immigrant from Cuba, told the Senate Judiciary Committee. ``Immigrants aren't crossing our borders to look for a handout. They're seeking jobs that are available.''

The Senate and House of Representatives are holding unusual hearings this month to discuss the differences in immigration legislation already approved by each chamber. The Senate approach, supported by President George W. Bush, would create a guest-worker program and a path to legal status for millions of undocumented immigrants.

The House legislation focuses on border security and enforcement of immigration laws without including any new legalization of temporary-worker programs.

Gutierrez told senators today that a guest-worker program would be an integral component of securing the border because providing a legal pathway for immigrants looking for work would keep them from attempting to enter the U.S. illegally.

``The biggest thing we can do for our border is have a temporary-worker permit for the interior of our country,'' he said.

Specter

The Senate Judiciary Committee, led by Pennsylvania Republican Arlen Specter, last week held the first in a series of hearings intended to promote the Senate's version of immigration legislation.

Specter said the Senate hearings are being held in response to House hearings that were called to criticize the Senate approach. House Republican leaders said they would hold meetings this month and next around the country to get input on the issue rather than follow the usual procedure of appointing negotiators to reconcile the two competing pieces of legislation.

``It would be our preference to be conferring with the House of Representatives on the immigration matter,'' Specter said. ``It is my hope that after we complete those hearings in September, we will move ahead to a conference and produce legislation.''

Additional House Hearings

House Majority Leader John Boehner today said that four House panels will hold immigration hearings this month, and he praised last week's sessions as helpful to giving House lawmakers a stronger hand in future negotiations with the Senate.

``The hearings have been an absolute success, and they've put us in a stronger position to craft a responsible bill that secures our borders and strictly enforces our immigration laws,'' Boehner said.

The next hearings will examine a House provision that would require a 700-mile fence along the U.S-Mexico border, consider security risks at the border with Canada and probe the impact of immigrant labor on U.S. workers' wages and the track record of existing guest workers programs.

Boehner said senators are showing a willingness to compromise on the immigration proposals. Specter and Senator Ted Kennedy, a Massachusetts Democrat, have indicated interest in a compromise that would delay the Senate's guest-worker program until House demands for improved border security are met.

``There's a lot of ideas out there,'' Boehner said. ``I'm not going to count any in, or count any out.''

To contact the reporter on this story:
    Nicholas Johnston in Washington at
    njohnston3@bloomberg.net
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Decrease the population and decrease the number of jobs needed to run the place. Deport the illeglas and deport the need for the jobs. Simple as that. Also, deportation is water conservation.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

``We have jobs today that either American citizens aren't willing to do or aren't able to do,'' Gutierrez, an immigrant from Cuba, told the Senate Judiciary Committee. ``Immigrants aren't crossing our borders to look for a handout. They're seeking jobs that are available.''
    BS.....there was not 1 job listed in my paper for that. Tons of trucking jobs. "Assemble at home" rip-off jobs. Must speak Spanish jobs.....

Then....I have to say this......I'm looking for a job. Low wage....entry position. They have "apply on-line". Fine....name........SS#.....must have!
    Why would I put my SS# on an un-secure site for a minimum wage job?
    There is no other option! I go to the store for a paper application....they say you HAVE to apply on-line. OK....now what? MUST PUT SS# or it's null and void. Now if Vetrans aren't secure.....what's a CVS application?

Same for Jewel, Osco, Walgreens, Target and others. No paper applications. On-line. Management.....ok. But not for people like me.
    I'm confused. Now what? That is the jobs available. Those are the type of jobs that are opening here. But they want my SS#. Hey.....look at the rest...then decided if your even interested before I give that to you. Not first! But no.....they want my SS# first even before my name.

I appreciate the fact that they want to be legal....if that is what they are doing.......but on-line in an un-secure site before I ever get a face to face interview?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Just more lip from the Bush administration.

Now, think about it, 4.1 million job openings just in May??? That is a lot of jobs folks. And many are in the hospital industry?? I heard around 17 hospitals have closed in LA due to the financial hardship. Where are all the hospital openings I wonder? I'd like to know just where 4.1 million jobs are exactly.

So we have a growing economy they keep saying. So that means we need to increase the lower class so big business can get richer. Many jobs are being sent overseas so big business can get richer. Thus, our middle class are the ones getting squeezed out. Doesn't take an economics degree to realize this ain't good.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

`We have jobs today that either American citizens aren't willing to do or aren't able to do,'' Gutierrez, an immigrant from Cuba, told the Senate Judiciary Committee. ``Immigrants aren't crossing our borders to look for a handout. They're seeking jobs that are available.''
    I'm really tired of hearing this statement.

Hey Gutierrez,

You need to finish your above statement with "jobs today that either American citizens aren't willing to do or aren't able to do for wage being offered."
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.