Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Carson: Latinos don’t just care about immigration

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

  1. #1
    Administrator Jean's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    65,221

    Carson: Latinos don’t just care about immigration

    06/17/15 07:32 PM—Updated 06/17/15 09:49 PM
    By Jane C. Timm

    Speaking to a group of Latino elected officials, Republican presidential candidate Dr. Ben Carson said immigration politics pigeonholes Latinos.

    “A lot of people told me what I should talk about when I came here, they said Latino elected officials? You need to talk about immigration,” Carson told the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials on Wednesday afternoon. “Well that’s like when I talk to an [African American] group and they say you need to talk about government entitlements. Give me a break! People have a vast variety of things that they’re interested in and to pigeonhole people into one area I think indicates something more about the person doing the pigeonholing.”

    Carson, who routinely complains about the “P.C. police,” often portrays himself as an outsider to politics and has suggested that progressives are manipulating minorities by making them think they are victims.

    Latino voters do vote on a number of issues – in 2014, Pew Research found the economy to be the group’s top concern – but they also widely support immigration reform: A full 66% of Latino voters said immigration reform was “extremely or very important,” according to Pew polling from the same year.

    And Carson himself did offer up his own immigration solution.

    “We do have an immigration problem that would be solved if you sealed the borders and ceased the benefits, so that people wouldn’t see a reason to come here,” he said. “However as a compassionate nation and compassionate people, we should say what can we do to help the people in nations who feel they don’t have the opportunity in their nation.”

    http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/carson-la...ut-immigration
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,185
    Was that double speak? How much can we do? Show me some return on what we have done.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Judy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    55,664
    “We do have an immigration problem that would be solved if you sealed the borders and ceased the benefits, so that people wouldn’t see a reason to come here,” he said. “However as a compassionate nation and compassionate people, we should say what can we do to help the people in nations who feel they don’t have the opportunity in their nation.”
    Man, you were doing so well with your first sentence. Why continue with another one that totally spoils the first one? What is wrong with you? We have over 100 million US citizens who don't have opportunity in our own nation. How can you be a doctor and not know that we have 70 million Americans on Medicaid and at least another 30 million one paycheck away from eligibility for Medicaid? How can you not know that this means they have a total net worth of less than $2,500, which in our "land of opportunity" is the same as having nothing at all.

    Now, with at least 100 million US citizens who can't find jobs sufficient to support themselves successfully, why don't you TELL ME what YOU THINK we can say we can do for people in other countries who are dissatisfied with their lack of "opportunity"?

    The correct answer is: NOTHING.

    There is absolutely NOTHING we can say we can do to help people in other countries when we can't even help our own people live independent self-reliant lives because we already have more people than we have jobs, money and "opportunity" to sustain them successfully.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,201
    Why is it that politicians consider Hispanic voters more important than Americans voters of European heritage? Can it be that Whites are in fact the only ethnic group that is not hung up on the inherently racists ethnic identity thing?

    95% of Blacks voted for Obama. 40% of Whites voted for Obama. If Whites voted for Romney with the same percentage as Blacks did for Obama, Obama would have never come close to being elected. So who are the racists?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Judy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    55,664
    Quote Originally Posted by csarbww View Post
    Why is it that politicians consider Hispanic voters more important than Americans voters of European heritage? Can it be that Whites are in fact the only ethnic group that is not hung up on the inherently racists ethnic identity thing?

    95% of Blacks voted for Obama. 40% of Whites voted for Obama. If Whites voted for Romney with the same percentage as Blacks did for Obama, Obama would have never come close to being elected. So who are the racists?
    It's not about race. What's being ignored by GOPers is the women vote. They're trying to replace the votes they lose in the women vote with Latino votes so they can maintain their anti-woman, anti-gay stances and still try to win the White House. It's quite foolish, but then people who are anti-woman and anti-gay are generally pretty foolish. They think Latinos because most of them are Catholic will side with their anti-abortion, anti-gay stances, but they're wrong. These two issues are why most Latinos are Democrats. These two stances are why Democrats are still the majority party, it's why even though Republican History and the Original Republican Philosophy would have dictated Republicans be a majority in our country by now, but we aren't and won't be until we change the platform and stop this nonsense against women and gays.
    Last edited by Judy; 06-18-2015 at 11:06 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  6. #6
    Senior Member vistalad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    “However as a compassionate nation and compassionate people, we should say what can we do to help the people in nations who feel they don’t have the opportunity in their nation.”
    Ben,

    Good news! The mechanism for doing that already exists. It's called "Foreign Aid."
    ********************************
    Americans first in this magnificent country

    American jobs for American workers

    Fair trade, not free trade
    Judy likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,201
    Sorry Judy it is about race. And I am sick tired of the lets pretend that Whites, especially males, are not the targets of bigoted discrimination by the government and every non Caucasian group.

    Spare me the women have it so hard on stuff. White males are the only group of people of which there can be too many in jobs or college admissions etc. So-called Affirmative Action is pure racial discrimination against White males. So-called Hate crimes are never applied against blacks who brutalize whites. Blacks are a disproportionately large percentage of all government jobs whether State or Federal. Look at any TV commercial. Blacks are only 13 percent of the population yet they are probably 20% of the actors in TV commercials. And now we are going the special privilege for Hispanics route.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Judy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    55,664
    Quote Originally Posted by csarbww View Post
    Sorry Judy it is about race. And I am sick tired of the lets pretend that Whites, especially males, are not the targets of bigoted discrimination by the government and every non Caucasian group.

    Spare me the women have it so hard on stuff. White males are the only group of people of which there can be too many in jobs or college admissions etc. So-called Affirmative Action is pure racial discrimination against White males. So-called Hate crimes are never applied against blacks who brutalize whites. Blacks are a disproportionately large percentage of all government jobs whether State or Federal. Look at any TV commercial. Blacks are only 13 percent of the population yet they are probably 20% of the actors in TV commercials. And now we are going the special privilege for Hispanics route.
    I never said anything about women have it "hard on stuff." I'm telling you why Romney lost, he lost because of the women vote, not because of the Latino vote. And white male Republicans could improve their lot if they stopped picking on women and gays through these anti-woman and anti-gay platforms in the Republican Party. At some point, it might be smart to replace the present foolishness by broadening the base of the Republican Party so more good things can be accomplished that benefit all citizens by ending the platform positions on abortion and homosexuality so more women, men who support them, and gay people will join our party or at least vote for our candidates.
    Last edited by Judy; 06-18-2015 at 11:44 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I never said anything about women have it "hard on stuff." I'm telling you why Romney lost, he lost because of the women vote, not because of the Latino vote. And white male Republicans could improve their lot if they stopped picking on women and gays through these anti-woman and anti-gay platforms in the Republican Party. At some point, it might be smart to replace the present foolishness by broadening the base of the Republican Party so more good things can be accomplished that benefit all citizens by ending the platform positions on abortion and homosexuality so more women, men who support them, and gay people will join our party or at least vote for our candidates.
    Ok, Judy I unfairly put words in your mouth. Sorry.

    Less than 3% of the population identify themselves as gay. The Republican have been opposing gay marriage and abortion because a very large part of the Party’s base is fundamentalist Christians. The Republicans could never win an election without them. As a matter of simple politics the Republicans would loose farm more votes from fundamentalists Christians than it would ever gain by appealing to Gays or pro abortion women.


    Romney lost because a large number of conservative voters stayed home because they were tired of having to choose between an establishment RINO or a Democrap. Obama won re-election with fewer votes than he won in his first election.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,201
    Ann Coulter and Laura Ingraham have told us about a successful strategy for Republicans to win elections: A populists’ appeal for jobs for Americans by unequivocal opposition to amnesty and absolute border control. If a republican candidate did that he would draw to him many of the Democrat blue collar workers like Reagan did, the so-called “Reagan Democrats.” That is how to “broaden the Party’s base.” It is foolishness to try to compete with Democrats on their liberal issues. E.g. no matter what amnesty proposal a Republican may make the Democrats will offer an easier, bigger amnesty.

    Blue collar workers know they have been betrayed by the Democrats who care more about illegal aliens and gays than they care about American laborers. They see the Republicans ignore them and pander to mega rich corporations. If a Republican fought to preserve jobs for Americans starting with the biggest jobs killer, illegal immigration, they love him and rally to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gun Control: Why Latinos Should Care About the Second Amendment
    By Newmexican in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM
  2. Latinos watching health care debate closely
    By American-ized in forum Other Topics News and Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
  3. Health Care & Latinos - INCREDIBLE!!!!
    By CitizenJustice in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
  4. County works to care for Latinos
    By had_enuf in forum illegal immigration News Stories & Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 10:55 PM
  5. Carson students join nationwide protest of immigration refor
    By patbrunz in forum illegal immigration News Stories & Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 06:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •