I posted this here because I thought the comments section after the article was interesting.

The vision is clear: narrow Arizona Avenue, widen the sidewalks and build high-rise offices with condos above and retail shops below.

But turning that downtown Chandler redevelopment dream into reality is trickier.

The city faces a daunting task: trying to upgrade its historic center at a time when money is scarce and the economy is on a downward spiral.

Other cities, from Glendale to Scottsdale to Tempe, have faced difficult hurdles while trying to redevelop their downtown districts. Glendale's downtown was dotted with closed businesses; downtown Scottsdale was once home to dairy farms and a barrio; Tempe's downtown was once a hangout for bikers and hippies.

All have transformed themselves, part of an evolutionary process in the circle of birth, death and rebirth. Residential areas that were replaced by businesses and entertainment venues three decades ago are returning to city hubs in the form of high-density condo complexes.

But the economic downturn means tough new challenges for downtown revitalization. Chandler faces a $19 million deficit next fiscal year. Several projects, including a new city museum, could be budget casualties. City staffers recently ranked improvements worth nearly $46 million over the next 10 years for the downtown's south Arizona Avenue corridor as a low priority.

But downtown advocates believe the long-term chances for downtown revitalization are good despite the current economic difficulties.

Hands-off approach

Chandler has been working to spruce up its downtown for more than a decade. The block near Arizona Avenue and Buffalo Street is home to the city's historic square and its annual tumbleweed Christmas tree lighting ceremony, art walk and other events.

It wasn't always that way. Several businesses along the historic stretch once were boarded up.

Nearly 11 years ago, the city also drew fire from immigrant-rights advocates after Chandler police and U.S. Border Patrol agents conducted a five-day roundup of 432 illegal immigrants. City and federal immigration officials have taken a hands-off approach since then, steering clear of major intersections along Arizona Avenue where day laborers gather before sunrise to get work.

Redevelopment experts now are focusing on ways to improve the southern end of downtown Chandler. "It's a lot better than it was 10 years ago," said David de la Torre, Chandler's principal planner and general plan coordinator.

But there is a lot to do to transform the rundown downtown into a thriving urban hub.

Like many cities, Chandler shies away from using eminent domain or buying privately owned buildings that are eyesores and don't fit in a pedestrian-friendly downtown.

It's made exceptions, but city officials hope other developments that are a blemish sell to private entities and move.

They include a rebar manufacturer, a fast-food restaurant and a trailer park. City and business officials are hanging their hopes on new projects as old developments sell and leave.

New investments

The city also is making its own investments into the area.

The biggest among them is the $80 million Chandler City Hall project planned at Arizona Avenue and Chicago Street. The complex is expected to be finished in 2010 before the city's lease expires in a five-story office building anchored by Western International University. It will house 240 workers.

But even more importantly, the city is banking on private development, including the 15-acre San Marcos Commons at Arizona Avenue and Chandler Boulevard. It will include 79 townhouses, more than 200,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and office space and a 500-car garage.

The project also will include a 75-foot lighted clock tower that is designed to be visible from Loop 202.

The hope is that the project will be a beacon for business downtown, which has stalled with the slumping economy. A popular pizza restaurant, Oregano's Pizza Bistro, decided not to expand into the vacant 98 South Wine Bar and Kitchen earlier this year. Another restaurant, KiZake, a sushi and martini spot in downtown Chandler, also remains closed and vacant.

Despite the closures, downtown promoters remain optimistic.

"I think we're already on the right track," said Eileen Brill Wagner, executive director of the Downtown Chandler Community Partnership.

She and others pointed the recent addition of Murphy's Law, a popular bar in the San Marcos Plaza by the historic town square, and Latitude 8, a Thai restaurant that faces Arizona Avenue that has been winning accolades from customers.

City officials say they don't want to copy other downtown redevelopment projects, such as those that made downtown Tempe a popular destination.

"We're not trying to be Tempe. We're not trying to be Scottsdale. We're trying to be Chandler and in a recognizable way," Brill Wagner said.

"We're trying to create something unique."

Residents react

Some downtown-redevelopment critics worry about the specter of day laborers loitering on city corners and drugs being dealt in local parks and neighborhoods. They cite a murder at a downtown smoke shop last year as another stain on downtown's reputation.

"You have some homes that are abandoned, and you see some drug activity," said Dorsha Hale, a former Chandler City Council candidate.

She is leading residents in cleaning blighted neighborhoods by picking up trash, pulling weeds, trimming trees, painting homes and spreading landscape rock.

Juniper Dervy-Chaffin, who bought a home downtown nearly two years ago, said she's glad for the cleanup but doesn't like the city's plan to extend Washington Street east of Arizona Avenue to Pecos Road.

The project, designed to jump-start redevelopment, would put Dervy-Chaffin on a busy street corner by bulldozing the house next to her and aligning the street next to her property line.

But she likes the city's plan to redevelop the area and the uniqueness of the neighborhood with different styles of homes, some of which date back to the city's founding.

"I like all these downtown events going on," she said. "And people watch each others' houses.

Her neighbor, Ardis Owens, is less optimistic about redevelopment.

"I don't think it's going to work," he said. "All these houses are about ready to fall down here, and we need to get all the drugs out of here."

Type Size: A A A Print Email Most Popular Buzz up! Add your comments
Make your voice heard

This is a public comment zone. Readers are solely responsible for the content of their posts and must comply with our Terms of Service and Rules of Engagement. Report offensive content by clicking on the "Report abuse" link.

View Profile
wicmanMar-01 @ 4:33 AM Report abuse 11
"City and federal immigration officials have taken a hands-off approach since then, steering clear of major intersections along Arizona Avenue where day laborers gather before sunrise to get work."

"specter of day laborers loitering on city corners and drugs being dealt in local parks and neighborhoods."

Give me one good reason to goto down town chandler? I don't need a job that pays cash under the table, and I do not do Drugs... Just the place I would like to take my kids...Not.

Your Reply to wicman's Comment:

Billy8942Mar-01 @ 5:23 AM Report abuse 02
If they would take a hands on approach with the illegal immigrants might be their better approach. A lot of people won't go in the area because of them. If you stop in the area in the early mornings driving a pickup expect to get swamped by the horde. Getting rid of the illegal immigrants in the area would help the businesses and curb some of the drug sales.

Your Reply to Billy8942's Comment:

dirk6832Mar-01 @ 5:34 AM Report abuse 01
You need three things to stop illegal immigration: 1) make it hard to get in, 2) make it difficult for them to live here (ie no education, no bank accounts, no drivers licenses, no health care, no work) 3) make them fear being caught and punished. Unless we're willing to do sweeps, they won't fear being caught.

Your Reply to dirk6832's Comment:

mike76Mar-01 @ 6:16 AM Report abuse 00
that area is run down. went to circle K and got swamp by day labors. the city got sued for doing a sweep. I think they should call joe.

Your Reply to mike76's Comment:

azcentral.com login required
sign in to post a comment »
click here to register for a free account »

http://www.azcentral.com/business/artic ... n0301.html