Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chertoff reports slower flow of aliens

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national ... -5910r.htm

Chertoff reports slower flow of aliens

By Stephen Dinan and Jerry Seper
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    February 9, 2007

The Bush administration is beginning to "turn the tide against illegal immigration," Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told a House subcommittee yesterday, as President Bush traveled to the department's headquarters to try to boost sagging morale.

Testifying to the House Appropriations homeland security subcommittee, Mr. Chertoff also defended the department's third management reorganization in its four-year history and said Mr. Bush's $35 billion budget request for the department's 2008 operations is "sound, sensible and ample."

Lawmakers said the 1 percent increase over 2007 spending falls short.

"There are a number of areas of your proposed budget that are simply inadequate," said subcommittee Chairman David E. Price, North Carolina Democrat.

Mr. Chertoff said apprehension rates for illegal aliens have fallen significantly over the past year, with U.S. Border Patrol agents making nearly 100,000 fewer arrests.

"This reflects less flow, not less success, because as we look south of the border and we validate our figures with intelligence information, the consistent picture we are getting is that we are starting to turn the tide against illegal immigration," he said.

He said his department set a record last year with 716 criminal arrests and more than 3,600 other apprehensions at job sites, and that these actions are beginning to have a deterrent effect.

Still, he said, the department faces difficulties.

"This is not a declaration of victory," he said. "As we push on the organizations that smuggle people illegally into the country, we are attacking a profitable, illegal business, and they will push back. And so I fully expect that we will see some ups and downs and, frankly, probably some increased border violence because we are striking at the livelihood of criminals."

The Department of Homeland Security was created in March 2003 to merge 22 agencies into one. During his visit to headquarters yesterday, Mr. Bush said that getting the department operational "has been difficult and complicated" but progress has been measurable.

Mr. Chertoff said the Defense Department took 40 years to organize and that the first defense secretary committed suicide. "So we're going to do better on both of those counts with respect to this department," he said.

Rep. John Culberson, Texas Republican, said morale is a problem among Border Patrol agents, particularly after the felony convictions of two agents, Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean, in a shooting that left a fleeing drug-smuggling suspect and illegal alien wounded in the buttocks.

"The tone that I pick up among law-enforcement officers on the border is that they're frankly second-guessing," he said. "They think twice before they draw their weapon in defense of themselves or the country, and that's a dangerous situation."

Mr. Chertoff said the department supports its agents "110 percent," but that Ramos and Compean were found guilty by a jury in Texas.

"As long as they follow the rules in good faith, we will back them to the hilt," he said.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

another lie by DHS

and congress and the american people are suppose to take this man's word. He and his department has lied to the american people so many times that the old saying about how do you know when Chertoff is lying - when he opens his mouth is true.

Mr. Chertoff said the department supports its agents "110 percent," but that Ramos and Compean were found guilty by a jury in Texas.

"As long as they follow the rules in good faith, we will back them to the hilt," he said.

Just the kind of guy you need watching our collective backs, sad
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Too late...we already know the truth because the BP is talking off the record. Stop catering to Mexico!!!

What's this guy smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    What's this guy smoking?
    Apparently whatever is coming out of George Bush's butt.

Apparently whatever is coming out of George Bush's butt.
    He must be able to smoke a lot!!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

I don't beleive a thing these people say. I mean there are other reports about more and more comming in........like as if these guys really know. I'm sure the residents on the border have a clearer view.

I would'nt believe a word this man said... if his tongue came notorized

Well, you all have said it but I'll repeat it, I don't believe a word Chertoff says. Reminds me of when recently Jorge said you won't find a better friend of the border patrol than I. Pleeaassseee! If they supported them 110% there wouldn't be a morale problem and there wouldn't be agents in jail or up for trial because they attempt to do their dangerous jobs. What a bunch of hot air Bush and his pals make.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast