Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    The other problem is that they can't comprehend having to have a contractor's license to do work. They think it is a government scam. We have a guy in my condo complex who is like that. We need to do work and if there were no architectural drawings they would have to do them. We also have an assessment for it. He screamed it was a scam and said we don't need the drawings yet you need permits from the county and need inspectors to inspect it. He also said he was an electrician back home and all you need to know to hook up electricity to a home or unit is to make sure it doesn't interrupt the phone service.
    That sound rather scary---especially the last sentence. Doesn't your Homeowners Association agreement stipulate what an owner can do on their home? Improper electrical work is very dangerous---since in a condo a fire can spread easily.

Not all work requires architectural specifications. Building bureaus accept a lot of home drawn specs from homeowners. Again, in your case, it seems this should be controlled by the HOA agreement.

I really can't tell you what to do, (without a live two way dialogue this is difficult)----and certainly don't want to create any needless worry---- but if you really think something is wrong you might want to talk to an electrical inspector in your local planning and building permit department. Our city has electronic records of every building that has had recent, permitted work; so a purchaser or occupant can easily check to see if recent work was done with the proper permits. If your building(s) are fairly new I would at least like to know who the electrical contractor was and see evidence of inspectors signatures. But if you go back too many years this can be cumbersome as then they have to bring out the microfiche documents and you have to look through them. Very time consuming.

There is also an inexpensive circuit tester--usually less than $10---that has a three prong plug.
    http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/531311.html
    However, it will also show flaws that are not necessarily a safety risk---like an ungrounded plug---and could cause you more headaches if you checked out your own unit with it. Then you might have the liability to fix it.

Whew! You raised some serious questions, and I felt I should say something to you. This took over half an hour to compose.

Disclaimer: It sounds like you have some complicated issues and this is not legal or professional advice.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Captainron, I don't know what state your experience is in, but a friend hauled a shade house structure across state for my backyard (12x24) in FL and I had to have an architect approve my drawings. I had to get a waiver since it was only 16 feet from the canal, while setbacks required 25-feet, which would have put the structure under the house. Having a deck built, I put down a couple of board at the bottom of the new stairs so I would not step into liquid sand after heavy rains, and the inspector rejected the approval of my deck. Deck work was perfect but my boards ruined it all. Calling the inspector, explaining and removing the boards, inspection passed.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My condo is playing by the rules but unfortunately this guy goes to meetings and is dieruptive. He doesn't get it that he is in another country with other rules.

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    My condo is playing by the rules but unfortunately this guy goes to meetings and is dieruptive. He doesn't get it that he is in another country with other rules.
    IF he has actually done any work that you know of, call or go down to your city planning office and discuss your concerns, tell them you want to remain anonymous. They will send an inspector down to look at what he has done, and probably fine the heck out of him, that is one sure way of getting it through his head.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great, another affirmative action is being demanded. Just trying to help some people up while pushing others down. "I have a dream..."
    "It's impossible to separate spirituality from politics if we're going to be effective and leave a legacy here in Chicago," one man said.
    What the heck does this mean anyway? I don't get it.
    Then, they laid out their grievances. Census numbers show Chicago is at least 25 percent Hispanic, but the Hispanic share of city jobs, including police, school principals and teachers is far smaller.
    Could it be that some of the Hispanics here do not speak English and aren't qualified for government jobs? Based on all the signs in Spanish here, there must be a lot of them who can't. Don't even get me started on "Press 1 for English"...

of course they aren't qualified...that's why they demand the jobs and contracts under the false impression that they are entitled to them because they are of a certain ethnicity....that's just plain wrong...and it's even worse that the politicians and government officials in Cook County cave in to that...why do you think OBAMA moved to Chicago upon graduating from law school...to start his political career? It was no accident.

Numbers at the Board of Election Commissioners give one clue to clout. In the predominantly Hispanic 12th Ward in last November's election, about 7,000 voters went to the polls. In the 8th Ward, predominantly African-American, about four times as many voters went to the polls to cast ballots. And in downtown's 42d Ward, majority white, about five times as many voters went to the polls as in the predominantly Hispanic 12th Ward. Now every politician in Chicago knows those numbers.
    So every politician in Chicago that can do simple math KNOWS that the 12th ward is 80% populated by IAs.

Are they here legally? Do they speak English? and are they qualified?

If not apply elsewhere or return to the country you are a citizen of!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

"All we're saying is we want a fair share of the cake. We don't want crumbs," DeJesus said.
    This part makes me angry!

Hey, buddy, you don't get the cake for not doing anything to earn it!!

You get the cake from a lot of hard work, gathering together all the ingredients over time, until you can put them all together to bake YOURSELF the cake.

You can't steal something that someone else spent so much time and effort to put together!

But of course, this is what you want. You want all the jobs given to you. You don't want to have to work hard for years to actually be QUALIFIED for those hard jobs.

Ticks me off!

TexasGal

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGal
    "All we're saying is we want a fair share of the cake. We don't want crumbs," DeJesus said.
    This part makes me angry!

Hey, buddy, you don't get the cake for not doing anything to earn it!!

You get the cake from a lot of hard work, gathering together all the ingredients over time, until you can put them all together to bake YOURSELF the cake.

You can't steal something that someone else spent so much time and effort to put together!

But of course, this is what you want. You want all the jobs given to you. You don't want to have to work hard for years to actually be QUALIFIED for those hard jobs.

Ticks me off!

TexasGal

I say we send him a copy of "the little red hen". Maybe we can even find it in Spanish
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast