Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cindy McCain and her 300.000 outfit

Can You say "out of touch elites"

Cindy McCain sets tone for GOP fashion
    By MELANIE COFFEE, Associated Press Writer
    Fri Sep 5, 7:17 AM ET
    Not since Jacqueline Kennedy first donned her signature pillbox hats have fashionistas paid such close attention to what the women of politics are wearing.

Friday may be the start of New York's Fashion Week, but couture has been in the Minnesota convention hall all week.

It kicked off on Monday with Cindy McCain and First Lady Laura Bush in Oscar de la Renta.

Vanity Fair editors estimated that McCain's fierce saffron shirt dress with the popped collar, diamond earrings, four-strand pearl necklace, white Chanel watch and strappy shoes totaled up to $313,100.

And Bush's white sensible suit, Stuart Weitzman heels and pearl stud earrings would ring up to $4,325.

While Bush's fashion sense has blossomed into subtle elegance, McCain is still evolving in her style. The purple pant suit and leather jackets of the early part of her campaign have given way to crisper, more contemporary dresses with richer colors.

"She appreciates very well-made clothes and that have rich, luxurious fabrics," said Sasha Iglehart, Glamour magazine's Deputy Fashion Director. "Such clothes could wear the person and she seems to be able to carry it off."

Like Wednesday evening's lime green belted dress that was rooted in the 1960s, the stark orange collared dress she wore Thursday and Thursday evening's turquoise suit with a trapeze-shaped jacket.

Throughout the convention McCain also kept recycling her accessories, including the four-strand pearl necklace and two rhinestone pins that say Navy and USMC — representing the military branches her sons serve in. Above those two is also a Blue Star pin, signifying she has a child on active duty.

"Cindy McCain accessorizes like a woman of her generation," Iglehart said. "It has all that sparkling going on."

McCain's known to favor Escada, Michael Kors and Carolina Herrera and was recently seen shopping at Oscar de la Renta's showroom in New York.

But Republican presidential candidate John McCain's running mate, Alaska governor Sarah Palin is more focused on what will get her to Washington, not on the Best Dressed List.

As Palin has said to Vogue magazine: "A reporter once asked me about it (her appearance) during the campaign, and I assured him I was trying to be as frumpy as I could by wearing my hair on top of my head and these schoolmarm glasses."

Palin's spokeswoman Maria Comella said she didn't know what designer could take credit for the eggshell boxy jacket and black skirt that Palin wore during her rafter-raising speech Wednesday.

"I'm not sure it really matters what she's wearing," Comella said.

Point taken.

Nevertheless the blogs are twittering with comments about the former beauty queen's updo (or updon't) and her Tina-Fey-like glasses (which she recently swapped out for ones without rims).

On Thursday she stayed with her traditional neutral-color palate, wearing a gunmetal gray jacket and a black skirt.

"In the way of clothes don't matter, the message would read she's more focused on the issues and that's totally admirable," Iglehart said. "On the other hand I think it's a sign of confidence to be at ease with your body and confident in how you dress."

Across the runway, er, aisle is Michelle Obama, wife of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, who is setting trends of her own.

The sleeveless, black-and-white dress she wore on "The View" became a must-have, off-the-rack item. But she mixes high and low, as the night her husband addressed the Mile High Stadium at the Democrats' convention in Denver she was wearing a printed dress by hot designer Thakoon Panichgul.

The fashion buzz around the political race has made it more interesting.

"Because the potential first ladies have such different styles, it makes it fun to follow," Iglehart said.

___

Associated Press Writer Libby Quaid contributed to this report

http://tinyurl.com/62xt2n
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

MW
    Nothing to see here. Just another one of those worthless Associated Press dig articles.

I say it's their money and they can do with it as they please.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Nothing to see here. Just another one of those worthless Associated Press dig articles.

Ditto.

On the other hand, I couldn't help but notice that the article delved into $$$ where Cindy and Laura were concerned, but made no mention of $$$ in terms of Michelle.

A very subtle implication that the taxpayer will be footing expensive clothing for Mrs. McCain perhaps?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    azwreath wrote:

Ditto.

On the other hand, I couldn't help but notice that the article delved into $$$ where Cindy and Laura were concerned, but made no mention of $$$ in terms of Michelle.

A very subtle implication that the taxpayer will be footing expensive clothing for Mrs. McCain perhaps?
    Maybe, but most of us are smart enough to know that Cindy McCain doesn't need our money.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If your worth 100 million it's your responsibility to spread it around.
    Maybe she should have gone to walmart and got something made in China? You know she will never wear it again.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Jimpasz wrote:

If your worth 100 million it's your responsibility to spread it around.
    Maybe she should have gone to walmart and got something made in China? You know she will never wear it again.
    You're absolutely right. She's doing what all liberals expect the rich to do - feed the economy.

I can remember being with a group of young Republicans in Boston in 1980 after the press coverage of the inaugural ball in Washington, D.C. There were oil and Hollywood entertainment tycoons and their wives. The wives were dressed in furs, flashy designer clothes and dripping with large jewels.

I predicted that when and if the Bushes were elected their event would be different. Some of us had met them. It was there were more subdued designers, pearls and tweed. There is a lot of difference between Cindy McCain and Sarah Palin and y personal preference is toward Palin.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I saw some pictures of Michelle Obama in one of my fashion magazines and ALL of her outfits were very expensive designer clothes, shoes and accessories. I'm sure she spends quite a pretty penny on her clothes too. Anyway, all the ladies look lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by MW

She's mega rich, should she wear Wal-Mart??
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Michelle Obama happily buys a lot on sale and recently it was reported the dress she was wearing was off-the rack for only $149.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast