http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/op ... 72,00.html

Citizens left in the lurch

Re: your Dec. 25 article, "Medi-Cal pays for 100,000 births by illegal immigrants":

Upon reading this article, I, as a California native and U.S. citizen, became upset and annoyed at the facts stated.

Apparently, Medi-Cal prefers to support illegals rather than taxpaying, home-owning, hard-working citizens. Social Security, property taxes and income taxes are extremely high in California. That is why many have to leave this state to live elsewhere where taxes are not as high and you are able to live in a home, instead of a cramped condo or town home.

All this because we apparently feel we owe the "illegals" the right to invade our property, burglarize our homes, sell illegal drugs, have many babies and, of course, live the wonderful life.

I am one retired educator who has seen many waves of immigrants who respect our communities. I have found in the Thousand Oaks community in which I live that there are those illegals who try to work hard and live in crowded homes. But, unfortunately, there are way too many who commit crimes and use Medi-Cal to support them, i.e. hospital services, free food banks, etc.

Why is it that a California citizen cannot qualify for Medi-Cal assistance if unable to care for himself except in the thin gap financially for acceptance to Medi-Cal, and the illegal alien can just walk into this state and receive free services from not only the state of California, but also from the federal government, i.e. Department of Housing and Urban Development?

Who is the minority now, the California taxpayer? Yes, I think so.

— Barbara Welch,Thousand Oaks