Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Citizens and legals step in to fill Greeley void

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/l ... 24,00.html

Loss for one is another's gain
    Applicants line up to fill jobs left empty by Swift plant raid
    Darin McGregor © News

[picture] Travis Stoltz, 19, of Greeley, uses the glass door at the entrance of the Weld County Human Services office as a writing surface as he fills out an application for a job at the Swift & Co. meatpacking plant in Greeley. Applications were being taken for positions that opened because of Tuesday's raid by agents of the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

By Fernando Quintero, Rocky Mountain News
    December 15, 2006
    GREELEY - The line of applicants hoping to fill jobs vacated by undocumented workers taken away by immigration agents at the Swift & Co. meat-processing plant earlier this week was out the door Thursday.

Among them was Derrick Stegall, who carefully filled out paperwork he hoped would get him an interview and eventually land him a job as a slaughterer. Two of his friends had been taken away by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents and he felt compelled to fill their rubber boots.

"Luckily, they had no wives or family they left behind. But it was still sad. They left their apartments filled with all their stuff. I took two dogs one of them had. The other guy had a cat I gave to my sister," he said.

Greg Bonifacio heard about the job openings on television and brought his passport, his Colorado driver's license, his Social Security card and even a color photograph of himself as a young Naval officer to prove his military service.

"I don't want to hassle with any identification problems because of my last name," said Bonifacio, a 59- year-old Thornton resident of Filipino heritage.

As it turned out, the Colorado Workforce office that was taking applications did not require any identification.

That would come later for those who made it past the interview process.

Bonifacio was hoping to get a job in production or fabrication. So was Nathan Korgan, a former construction worker whose company closed and moved to California.

"I feel bad for the kids, but good for me," said Korgan of Tuesday's raid.

Like many others who had mixed emotions about the raid, Maxine Hernandez said she was upset that families were torn apart, but believes illegal immigrants should not get work using fake documents.

"I guess I'm in the middle," she said. "But I do think they should have planned (the raid) better so that innocent children wouldn't be left behind."

Hernandez, who had gone to the employment office because her husband was there to apply for unemployment insurance, decided to apply for a job at Swift on a whim.

"My whole family used to work there. My mom, my aunt, uncles," she said. "I guess it sort of runs in our blood."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The line of applicants hoping to fill jobs vacated by undocumented workers taken away by immigration agents at the Swift & Co. meat-processing plant earlier this week was out the door Thursday.
    Well, I'll be. I thought no Americans would do these jobs. Hahahahah

I think the real saying should be "no legal citizen can get the jobs" because they're being stolen by illegals!!!!

How much do they pay? benefits? This looks like a good time to put out information to legal Americans that there are JOBS avalible.
    Possible we could start a web site to provide information just for this purpose.
    We call things racism just to get attention.We reduce complicated problems to racism,not because it is racism, but because it works
    AlfredoGutierrez

swift & co.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB2012
    The line of applicants hoping to fill jobs vacated by undocumented workers taken away by immigration agents at the Swift & Co. meat-processing plant earlier this week was out the door Thursday.

Just my opinion - Whenever you have a large group of people with a similar race, education, language, customs - they support each other.
    A large group of Latinos working at a Swift plant will encourage more. While they may not discriminate against non-Latinos, they aren't as welcoming. IMO - we are all this way.

At my previous job, the largest minority was Macidonian. I think we all worked together well. At break time, it wasn't unusual for the Macidonians to sit together, the blacks sit together, and the whites sit together.

The shipping dept. was an exception. They had a group of white, black, and Macidonian which lunched together.

The Macidonians were really good, hard working people. They went out of there way to help other Macidinians. Training was OTJ (on the job). A new Macidonian with limited English was always given lots of support. Many times it was from his fellow countrymen. They were all from the same general location. They all were legal. Most of them became citizens. They almost always went back home, to get a good wife. Everyone else that was "new", was on his own.

I believe it was easier for a new Macidonian employee. I suspect other new employees would occasionally get discouraged and quit. It's the same at Swift. The Latinos help each other (as they should) If you are new, but not Latino, you have less support or help. So the largest minority helps to recuit more of the "same".

So, if you have one large minority group, it's harder to attract other minority groups. ( just my opinion )

Yes, they network, just as the Indians network to gain IT jobs for one another. I've also been reading rumblings from Greeley that legal applicants with papers are claiming that they were bypassed to hire illegals. There are serious questions about, if Swift was not preferentially hiring illegals, then how come they had so many on the payroll? On the job culture is a factor too. My youngest works at a restaurant where all the people in the back are foreign. They call him 'gringo' which irritates him.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss
    Yes, they network, just as the Indians network to gain IT jobs for one another. I've also been reading rumblings from Greeley that legal applicants with papers are claiming that they were bypassed to hire illegals. There are serious questions about, if Swift was not preferentially hiring illegals, then how come they had so many on the payroll? On the job culture is a factor too. My youngest works at a restaurant where all the people in the back are foreign. They call him 'gringo' which irritates him.
    Heck if he was in California, you can sue for allot of money. i read about it in the news all the time.
    We call things racism just to get attention.We reduce complicated problems to racism,not because it is racism, but because it works
    AlfredoGutierrez

swft

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss
    If job openings are posted and awarded by senority, I'm positive illegal aliens were awarded ( higher paying ) jobs over legal employees.

SWIFT

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB2012

Too bad we don't have a photo !

April
    Photo of a happy person applying on this page!

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/2006 ... /112140115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast