Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

City official plans hunger strike to keep wife in U.S.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 55487.html

While tens of thousands of illegal Mexicans rape, rob and pillage our country daily WITHOUT REPRISAL, the idiots in immigration want to zero in on this lady and deport her. What is wrong with this picture?

City official plans hunger strike to keep wife in U.S.
    Agency cites violations in deportation case

12:22 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 2, 2005
    By GRETEL C. KOVACH / The Dallas Morning News

It was an unlikely romance: A millionaire real estate developer falls madly in love with a Chinese masseuse on the verge of being deported.

MICHAEL AINSWORTH/DMN
    Yanhong Hu, who wed millionaire developer Ralph Isenberg in 2004, must return to China by Aug. 15. Mr. Isenberg said he's prepared to die for his family, including daughter Niraya.

Ralph Isenberg risked everything for her. His marriage of 30 years disintegrated. His best friend stopped talking to him. His adult son and daughter shunned him.

Now he says he's prepared to die for Yanhong Hu.

Mr. Isenberg, a member of Dallas' City Plan Commission, said he is planning to begin a hunger strike this week after trying everything to keep his new wife in the country.

Since they met about three years ago, he persuaded high-placed government and business leaders – including U.S. Reps. Pete Sessions and Eddie Bernice Johnson and the entire Dallas City Council – to write letters of support for her residency application.

But Monday, immigration officials said they would not allow Yanhong Hu, who now goes by Nicole Isenberg, to stay in the country past Aug. 15. The couple had sought a six-month extension after the birth of their daughter on July 1.

"Three-fourths of my family perished in Nazi Germany. ... I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would have to fight to keep my family together on U.S. soil," Mr. Isenberg said, choking back tears.

Doctors told the Isenbergs that the newborn, Niraya, is too young to travel to China.

Mrs. Isenberg's daughter from a previous marriage, whom Mr. Isenberg adopted, is about to start high school and may have to stay behind with the newborn in the care of their nanny as Mr. Isenberg splits his time between China and Dallas.

Immigration officials said they have been more than generous with Mrs. Isenberg, who pleaded no contest to a 2001 prostitution charge in Dallas, was incarcerated for 52 days for immigration violations and ordered deported in absentia when she missed an immigration hearing.

A statement from the Isenbergs sent to government and business leaders around the country says the misdemeanor prostitution charge, which preceded their 2004 marriage, was unfounded.

'Egregious' case

Paul Hunker III, chief counsel for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Dallas, said Mrs. Isenberg needs four waivers for immigration law violations before the State Department can approve her application for permanent residency.

"This is really one of the most egregious cases I've seen in my 12 years as a government attorney," he said.

Mr. Sessions had lobbied for a six-month delay in her departure, citing concern for the health of the baby.

Wealth or political influence cannot be a factor in the enforcement of immigration law, but the birth of a U.S. citizen is strongly taken into consideration, Mr. Hunker said.

"Originally, the Aug. 15 date was set with the birth of their child in mind, because of a request made by their attorney," Mr. Hunker said. "If we didn't care about the child, we would have picked [Mrs. Isenberg] up and deported her."

Dallas immigration lawyer Richard Fernandez, who is not involved in the case, said American immigration authorities will often allow the parents or spouses of citizens to apply for permanent residency in the U.S. if there are no negative factors.

"Adjustment of status is a privilege, and it's in the discretion of Citizenship and Immigration Services," Mr. Fernandez said. "Generally if you're open with them, they're amenable to helping you out, especially if there is a little baby involved."

No guarantees

A last-minute reprieve seems unlikely for the Isenbergs, and Mr. Isenberg said he sometimes finds his wife pacing the house in the middle of the night with Niraya in her arms, weeping.

"Right now the baby is too young. I cannot take the baby," Mrs. Isenberg said. "And I can't leave a newborn baby here."

If Mrs. Isenberg leaves, there is no guarantee she can return, and she faces a five-year ban for being deported in absentia. The Isenbergs are willing to go to China to sort things out but want some assurance that she can return quickly.

Dallas Justice of the Peace Thomas Jones married the Isenbergs and is their baby's godfather.

"I would venture that immigration is on point legally, but there comes a time when we need to be more humane," Judge Jones said. "This is not about the mother, this is not about the father, this is about the baby – a U.S. citizen, native-born U.S. citizen."

Mayor Laura Miller, who appointed Mr. Isenberg to the City Plan Commission, said she is sad for the Isenbergs, whom she described as a "really happy, loving, terrific family."

"It's very unfortunate. I wish that she could stay here and be a family," Ms. Miller said Monday when the Isenbergs' attempts for an extension collapsed.

For Mr. Isenberg, whose home is decorated with statues of Abraham Lincoln and Lady Liberty, his troubles with immigration are perplexing.

"This is just devastating to a family. I don't know what we're going to do," said Mr. Isenberg, 53. "Do I stay with my children or do I stay with my wife?"

Mrs. Isenberg, 40, originally came to the U.S. in 1999 on a business visa. Chinese authorities had forced her to use an IUD that was making her sick, she said.

"I wanted a better life. I feel more safe here," she said.

Mrs. Isenberg had an advanced engineering degree but arrived in this country unable to speak English. She worked as a waitress during 13-hour shifts for $20 a day, she said.

She didn't understand that a massage license in California was no good in Texas and was led by desperation and naiveté to a job in a Dallas bathhouse, the Isenbergs said.

But some of Mr. Isenberg's closest friends and business partners were skeptical. They feared that she was a con artist.

Dave Roberts said he had cautioned his longtime business partner and friend to move slowly with Nicole but now has no doubts about their relationship.

"She's delightful, and I don't think there's any question that she loves Ralph," he said. "This is the happiest I've ever seen him."

Stories of romance

Eventually, as Mrs. Isenberg became a regular at parties and functions, mingling with the likes of Rudy Giuliani, those with a romantic streak began to lend their support. If Mr. Isenberg ever had any suspicions about his future wife, they disappeared when she allowed him to adopt her 14-year-old daughter.

Now, people remark on the gleam in his eye. They say he looks younger, and they listen to his giddy stories about the lovebirds' Titanic moment on the prow of a New York City night cruise past the Statue of Liberty.

They were both married, unhappily, when they met, Mr. Isenberg said. He was deeply lonely and, by his own account, had spent about a million dollars on the company of women. So while some may say that Mr. Isenberg rescued his future wife from the unsavory life of a bathhouse worker, it is Mrs. Isenberg who really rescued him, he said.

"I had sold my soul to the devil. I had lost all self-respect. Everyone in the business community, City Hall, they knew I was running around on my wife. I was basically a joke," he said.

"That all ended when I met Nicole."

They wed March 13, 2004, in their living room, using attorneys as ring bearers.

In his fight for his family's future, Mr. Isenberg has assembled several 4-inch-thick binders of immigration documents. While Mozart drifted downstairs from his adopted daughter's piano lesson, Mr. Isenberg flipped through the pages, recounting what he sees as flaws in the government's proceedings.

For instance, Mrs. Isenberg said she never received notice of the immigration hearing that led to her deportation in absentia. The notice was sent to her previous attorney in California, though she had filed change of address forms after her move to Texas.

"To be forced from this country because I have a Chinese wife, and the government made a clerical error, it's not conceivable. It's not American," Mr. Isenberg said.

He intends to rent an RV and drive around the state lobbying officials to help him keep his family together. First stop: Crawford, Texas.

"What am I without my wife?" Mr. Isenberg asked. "If I have to die for my family, OK. I've got millions in life insurance, millions in assets. They'd be taken care of."

E-mail gkovach@dallasnews.com

There is no end to this crap. This is the same story as all the others. Everyone has their soft spot. Either Americans have the strength to follow through with this or where does it end?

Every story is gonna have a baby or a child or a "family" member involved.

He should leave with her and go to China. It's a nice country.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    There is no end to this crap. This is the same story as all the others. Everyone has their soft spot. Either Americans have the strength to follow through with this or where does it end?

Oh i feel for this guy. Since of course most of you know by know that my wife is Chinese. and it took 2 years to get her home. China is ok.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Quote Originally Posted by Judy

The report says the government made a clerical error and the woman did not receive notice of her hearing. I tend to believe the woman. An acquaintance who mailed me this story said the tv station gave details the newspaper didn't. The husband compiled many documents on the conditions of the holding facility where his wife was kept and complained vociferously. A county judge that tried to intervene for him said that he was told the husband had "pi-----ed off immigration officials enough already." He's trying to whistleblow on the conditions at the holding facility and they won't own up to their clerical error that she never received the letter.

It's outrageous to spend resources on this woman when that man in NC that had already been deported several times slipped back in and while driving while intoxicted, killed a father, seriously injured the mother and left two children without a father.

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE TO MAJOR ON THIS WOMAN and leave the rest of the Mexican cretins running rampant alone.

Mopheadblue...I do not disagree with you. It does seem like a distorted "focus" when there are so many others to focus on that are just being ignored if not aided and abetted by government programs and advocates.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

just being ignored if not aided and abetted by government programs and advocates.
    Exactly! While this lady did miss her hearing, it seems they would give her the benefit of the doubt and try to remedy the matter. It's entirely possible she did not receive notice.

All the while, how many Mexicans do we read of daily that have been deported only to reenter again and again and again. Usually they make the news when they've committed a crime, killed someone while DUI/DWI, raped, pillaged, etc.

Jorge and Co. want them here! That's the rub.

That the "rub" all right Mopheadblue and may I add the:

"Rub a Dub Dub in the Tub then Glub, Glub, Glub".

This President is throwing us down the hole like old dirty bath water!!

Keeping his new friends and lovelies from the southey until he tires of them when they want more money and more stuff than they can generate in an economy...then off to the Drone Dorms they go where they'll get their turn at the Glub Glub Club!!