Local lawmakers to focus on illegal immigration, suffrage

posted by: Dan Boniface , Web Producer
Last updated: 1/13/2008 1:57:54 PM

KTVD - Enforcing immigration laws and ensuring that only Americans can vote will be two of the measures state lawmakers told YOUR SHOW they will address in their 2008 legislative session.

Speaker of the House Rep. Andrew Romanoff (D-Denver) and House Minority Leader Rep. Mike May (R-Parker) answered dozens of viewer questions on the topics they will cover over the next 120 days.

On the topic of illegal immigration, both agreed Colorado's current statutes provided a foundation to address a problem Congress and President Bush have failed to solve. Compounding the problem they said is a federal law designed to prohibit states like Colorado from imposing civil or criminal penalties on employers who hire illegal workers.

"I think it's appropriate to level the playing field here," said Romanoff, who stated the appropriate level of illegal immigration was none. "Most employers try to play by the rules and obey the law but they are often undercut by employers who don't, so if we can figure out an effective way to enforce that law, we should pursue it."

Arizona recently passed a measure fining companies which hire illegal immigrants, in direct contrast to federal law, leading some in Colorado to suggest doing the same thing. May said Colorado's efforts to root out illegal immigrants from the voting process, by requiring photo identification that could help determine citizenship, might be the more fruitful policy to pursue.

"I'm a small businessperson. In fact, I'm in the hotel business and I have to compete with those who do violate the law and hire those who aren't here legally," May said in response to a viewer question. "Hopefully, if we can find a way to deal with (voting registration) that and the federal laws, I'd love to do it."

The two leaders said they expected to work together in areas like education reform and providing health care to Colorado's roughly 180,000 uninsured children. They also agreed on expanded choices for citizens to participate in what Gov. Bill Ritter (D-Colorado) calls the "New Energy Economy."

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=84424